Solo Cup Method

How much is the perfect amount of water is “perfect” by weight to initially start the seed and to maintain during the seedling stage…I know it can be subjective…but everyone knows how much water weighs and the weight of the seedling can be figured by weighing the cup before watering each day…kinda…I know it can’t be exact…but a ballpark number would help to know if the medium is over or under, what you feel should be maintained for a successful maturation and transplant…since everyone knows how much water weighs…and the a cup of medium can be weighed after prep and before moistening…

It’s just sort of a skill you have to learn. The water requirement will change as the plant grows larger relative to the size of the pot.

For seedlings, during the first week or so I don’t even get all of the media wet. I like to create a column of water directly beneath the stem to encourage the tap root to reach downward quickly. Then I’ll gradually start watering in sort of a ring around the imagined root zone, to encourage the feeder roots to branch out.

Also, if you’re using actual solo cups, make sure to drill holes in the bottom of them.

1 Like

Thanks…I am doing the holes and all but needed some advice on the proper watering technique for watering and you have provided great advice…

Started growing outdoors in the Arkansas Ozarks in 1980…But now live in a hi-rise in Downtown New Orleans, so this is new to me…I never grew auto’s and three out of six seeds survived and are thriving, but I was not happy with my success rate…

About three weeks since transplanting to 3 gallon grow bags…so any other advice would be appreciated…

welcome aboard KennyP. I am pretty new also. I’ve learned that any road to success has a few dead plants along the side. :wink:

As long as there are no DEAD BODIES, we are good!
Solo cups…usually associated with seeding…fill 1 cup with nothing but soil, dry soil
Lift it
now lift the cup with a plant…you need to get used to the feel of a watered plant. It is hard to overwater but easy to water too often. For seedlings, they like it a little damper than toddlers…You do NOT have to have RUNOFF on a solo cup but you do not want it to get too dry as it will stunt / harm the roots
It is a FEEL…water the empty solo cup…empty it out into your hands and it should be DAMP, not soaking / dripping
put it back in the cup and feel the weight…
Once you move them to larger containers, w repeat that process…
I lift my 1, 2, 3 and 5 gal containers all the time
I also water “wet to dry”…meaning we tend our plants so often we watch them on a daily basis and they wilt when thirsty…water and in an hour or 2 they are PRAYING…

1 Like

In the early going especially, you’re watering the pot. The plant is along for the ride. How fast your house sucks water up from the pot will determine when it needs replacement. As the plant grows, it becomes a water radiator, enhancing drying, but you’re still feeding the air in the room.