Should I top this plant?

I am growing a Critical x Northern Lights Autoflower in a 2 x 3 tent that is only 63" tall. I have read that these Autoflower plants only grow to about 3’ tall. Taking into account the pot that I am using and the light at the top, 3 feet is as about as tall as I can have in the tent. This plant is pretty lanky so far and is almost 2’ tall. It sprouted about 4 1/2 weeks ago. I am concerned that it is going to be too tall for my tent. Should I top the plant now or just let it go and if it gets too tall top it then?

4 Likes

If its an auto flower, I wouldn’t top it. I would bend the top over and pull it down to the side a bit, securing it down almost horizontally. Don’t trim anything. It will still grow, and you’ll have more bud sites growing up towards the light.

6 Likes

What @sc13oldie said. I highly doubt it will get over 3 feet. And you should not top autos.

3 Likes

I concur with @sc13oldie and @Rye. LST is your best option here. It keeps plants shorter increasing bud sites without shocking the plant.

2 Likes

Thanks for the feedback. I appreciate it. This is my first grow in a tent and wasn’t sure. If not topping is the answer, why do people top their plants? Just curious.

1 Like

Topping is typically done on photo period plants. They have plenty of time to recover. Autoflower do not do well to any kind of high stress training (HST) such as topping, super cropping, or defoliation.

Low stress training (LST) is primarily tieing the Main stem dow and allowing the side branches to grow to same height as primary. Autoflower do extremely well with LST.

I didnt train my grow, some do some dont. Entirely up to each grower.

3 Likes

Start early LST and you will see a big difference, I agree with @Rye and @sc13oldie don’t top just Lst:)-Organi

1 Like

Have you thought about training it?

Yep. Just did at the advice from someone on here. I really learn alot from people on here. Very helpful. We folded our plant over last night.

4 Likes

3 Likes

Perfect. If you feel like it, you can also train the branches to grow horizontally, which will give you even better light exposure to all the buds and little or no trimming needed, which is perfect for auto flowers, cause the less stress the better results.

3 Likes

Critical autos are forgiving but you dont realy top autos bc there time oriented some autos dont mind pruning some hate it, i would not top it lower your light so it wont strech so much here is a pic of your plant and what u can kinda expect.

1 Like

Hi @Brian.C your girls need to be LST trained. It will increase cola sites & control canopy height. My tent is 3x3x60 too, gotta watch what I plant.Check out YouTube for LST training.

I LSTed my WW at 4 or 5 weeks. Didn’t know what I was doing, lots of YouTube. But she’s 10 wks & waiting for her to fatten up. Probably harvest in couple weeks.

You’ll love this forum, everyone is helpful & fun. Happy growing

2 Likes