Seed to Veg soil?

Would love any suggestions on what soil to use to plant my germinated seeds into and keep in until transplant to a the end pot with super soil…huge novice here sorry! :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I use happy frog from start to finish, amend and reuse: just me :yin_yang:

1 Like

I go to my local big box store or nursery and get a small bag of starting soil. Actually I don’t, my wife does and I just use hers. :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

That works for me :grin: should be fine!

1 Like

Happy frog won’t be too hot for seedlings? I know people have told me that ocean forest is too hot for early stage so yea…I was already planning on doing a 50/50 happy frog and ocean forest to start in veg

1 Like

I have used the big no no Miracle grow…but Miracle Grow seedling has worked 100 percent for my seedlings till I switched it up image …now I use all FF products in fact I consider myself an expert at this point with their products. I use image mixed with image and it is THE mix I promise you…LW kills your seedlings…with the help from the nutrients in the strawberry fields you will explode. Then after 4 weeks transplant to strawberry fields with my additives and you will reap 10 oz plants off autos like i do

1 Like

I’ve used this from sprout to harvest for years.
I just add some perlite to it for extra aeration

4 Likes

I used miracle grow soil for vegetables until transplant when flowering started…after that I top dressed with more miracle grow and added some 444 and added molasses to every other watering…

3 Likes

I only speak from my experience, i have used Happy Frog and Ocean Forest from start to finish: :yin_yang:

1 Like

I would use Promix and worm castings 75/25. I like the finer media for sprouting seeds. If using pre-amended I would go with ocean forrest.

3 Likes

This is what I started with and have found that my plants, at least the way I grow them, love Strawberry Fields much more.

2 Likes

Promix and Ocean Forrest are just more available to most people. After I go to final pot I build my own soil using Promix as the base media.

1 Like

I agree, I have to order my soil online as nobody here carries it either…I have asked but I guess they don’t want my 100 dollars a month lol. Everyone here carries either OF or Promix or both. I started on OF for the first year or so and it was ok. My wife uses SF for all her regular plants as well and they love it.

I use the ProMix HP as a base and add some pumice. For the last three runs I have been building my pots with almost exclusively Build-a-soil products. For anyone that cares here is the basic ingredients of the build… I will add a few other things but don’t disclose those as the can be controversial and I don’t want to have that discussion.

Basic Ingredient List (All BAS unless noted below). As for how I put it all together…

ProMix HP
Pumice - 5-10%
Worm Castings (highest quality you can get) 20-25%
Kelp meal
Alfalfa Meal
Fish Bone Meal
Clackamas Coots gnarly barley (don’t forget to grind it first)
Gaia Greens rock dust
Insect Frass
Neem and naranja
Premium organic Kashi (you’ll need this for top dresses as well)
Big 6 Micros (Can mix in water and apply to soil)
Mycorrhizae/ Rootwise
Horticultural Aloe (water soluble)
BAS Craft Blend
BAS Top Dress Blend
BAS 2-10-5 (Only used a couple times during flower - water soluble)

My organic growing has definitely improved since using these ingredients. I really don’t feed teas or liquid molasses anymore. Maybe some light recharge every 7-10 days if the soil was running dry.

1 Like

nice…I intend to eventually go organic on some grows but it is currently not a possibility where I live. I only have a 900 sq. ft house. I am already taking up the second bedroom with my two 4 x 4 and have to dry in my downstairs closet. If I was to do organic it would be in bigger pots that 5 gallon. I am currently studying as much as I can about growing with living soil though. Until then I will be Synganic all day long

Yeah you gotta get it done however you can with what you have. I think 5 gal pots are more than adequate for organic growing of Auto flowers. Photos I would go standard 7gal or 10gal depending on strain and how long I was vegging. You gotta keep them moist though so its trickier… If you go wet to dry you’re not gonna get as good of results as the plant is constantly stressed as the microbes keep dying off… The key is finding the sweet spot and letting the smaller pots leach fresh water from the bottom. I know some people out there just say hit it with recharge… Those people just know very little about organic growing even though they still can get decent crop. But it would have been better if they treated their pots with a little more respect.

2 Likes

I’ve been recommended the Foxfarm product by many of my American friends with amazing grows and result! I wish that in could get it down here in Australia. I use the CANNA Terra mix in the 50 litre bag and it’s been amazing for my first time indoor grow.

Still a noob at this but will be trying new things each time till I get it right for me.

4 Likes