Seed sprouted but wont grow?

what would cause one seed to still be like this on day 8 when all the others have 4 in roots and are leaving pots and going to buckets in a couple days? All seeds are gelato photos, the ones that are being given away with orders. They were put in presoaked jiffypots straight out of the bag. Water is 6.8 ph rainwater. Temps mostly 70-80 with a couple lows of 65. Shade cloth over dome and seeds placed 1/8th in deep.
Not complaining at all. I know there are tons of recomended ways to start seeds most are probably better than the way i did these. I really dont care if she makes it was just wondering what factor would cause it?

4 Likes

Either old seed that didn’t have enough energy stores to sprout or it had some bacteria or fungus on it that kept it from rooting. Did you sterilize the seeds before planting and did you soak with liquid kelp and water?

3 Likes

@MDBuds nope just soaked the jiffy pots then put in dry seed. The other 7 did super so i was thinking it might just be the seed. Guess i will sterilize next time just in case.

4 Likes

Rotted
Sometimes they just don’t make it.

5 Likes

Always sterilize first after storage. All it takes in one fungal spore or bacteria to breed and kill the seed.

6 Likes

@MDBuds Can you recommend your sterilization technique for me or link me to the topic on the forums? I have heard of the “distilled water with a wee bit of Hydrogen Peroxide” but don’t know any other techniques… Like many of us, I have always just soaked the seeds (depending on type/cultivar etc) for 24-30 hours then done the paper towel method (dark/warm for 24 hrs) and usually they all did really good. But I always like having a storehouse of useful knowledge because we are always learning aren’t we? :ok_hand: :love_you_gesture:

4 Likes

@Jared Hey ya friend! This has happened to me a few times, even from really reputable seed companies…Sometimes, they are just “old-worn out seeds” thankfully most. I ordered some Bubba’s Gift (NOT HCC, Different Co.) and ALL 3 had double tap roots I had to “surgically separate” and it was a mess…Thankfully 3 DID survive and are now in vegetative state. I also got some Lavender seeds (from HCC) great seeds and I got a Promo of buy 4 get 4, but sadly 2 of them were just really small weak seeds and pretty much looked EXACTLY as your photo… And no worries, I do use the Jiffy Pot thingies too, I just germinate the seeds with the paper-towel method first, > https://homegrowncannabisco.com/grow-your-own-with-kyle-kushman/growing-stages/how-to-germinate-seeds/
But yeah, I mean with the two Seeds Companies that are my main go to: HCC and Growers Choice I still have about a 97-98% Germination to Vegetative growth (which to me is phenomenal considering I am just a “Hobby Gardener” who cannot invest in a lot of $$$ equipment.) But yeah, it happens. Try giving that one a few more days with more humidity and light or grind her up as compost and sprout another seed to take her place, if you do it now, the new seedling can catch up with your others in the 18 hr veg stage.
Best of luck! Warmly, Jackie :love_you_gesture:

5 Likes

I soak my seeds in clear tubes that Pre-rolls come in from the dispensary. I sterilize them in between soaks with iso alcohol. I fill 1/2 way with H2O2 3% peroxide. I soak for 12 hours. I remove seeds, rinse and place in paper towel (or mostly unbleached coffee filters as the tap roots never get entwined) and paper towel / plastic bag / container for the tails to really sprout. Then I place sprouts into peat pods, cover the hole with little more peat. I place my peat pods in the little plastic cups like at the dentist office they use to rinse your mouth. I cover the pod with a 3" peat cup. When they break through, I uncover and eventually place the peat pod in the peat cup which eventually goes into final medium (garden, 3/5/10/13 gal pots/bags)

I just ordered a new 640w 8 bar light so I am moving to the peat pod tray for 39m pods and will forgo the 3" cups and go right into 3gal cloth bags for all my winter autos
Now using the tray to hold paper towel, upside down, on my warm router

I usually have something ready to go in to the pods by 48/60 hours. I do seeds in pairs and easily get to see which are REALLY good seeds, mediocre and garbage seeds

5 Likes

@kanashiihawk I use two methods depending on what I have available.

One is I dilute 1 tsp apple cider vinegar in 1 gallon aerated distilled water then I mix that solution with milk 9 to 1 so 9 parts solution to 1 part milk. Then I soak the seeds in it for about 30 minutes to 1 hour depending on how waxy or tough the seed is.

The other is just hydrogen peroxide in aerated distilled water. About 50/50 and soak for 30 minutes to one hour depending on how waxy and tough the seed is.

After sterilizing I put it in my nutrient soak which is aerated as well. 1 cap full of liquid kelp and 1 tsp molasses to one gallon distilled water. Soak seeds over night up to 24 hours.

After soaking I either use the paper towel method for germination or I use coco discs in a propagation dome with a heated propagation pad.

Always sterilize your hands and tools and wear gloves so you don’t contaminate your seeds or solutions. I find that most times after successful germination the reason the seeds won’t sprout or grow is from contamination from your hands or the soil starter used. It’s a good idea to sterilize your pete, coco, rockwool, or seed starting mix too before transplanting for use in germination or transplant after germination.

Happy growing. :v::call_me_hand::metal:

8 Likes

Does all this extra work give the sprout a extra growing bump too?
I’ve never sterilized a seed but I do use tweezer to move them with.

5 Likes

It does give a boost. They soak up the extra light nutrients and glucose which allows them to grow and root faster which also helps make them more resistant to disease. The sterilization gives them a better chance to get started and get healthy because seedling are extremely susceptible to disease and can be taken out fast so lowering the risk is always a plus.

I have a 95% success rate with this from germination to harvest. I’ve only had a few die on me since I started using these methods and that was from my error. Either over watering or I planted too deep.

7 Likes

Thanks I will adapt then. I need a quicker start out of the hole shot.

4 Likes

Thanks again @Mrb53004 for your methods of germination. I have been growing for years outside and have never sanitized my seeds previously. Thanks for sharing you experiences with us. It’s all about trials and errors that gives us information too. For some reason I’m very nervous about growing inside this year for my first time. So please be patient with this old school woman. I really love this forum and thanks to everyone.

1 Like

been growing for close to 50 years, you’ll get a bad seed once in a while, i’ve always germinated my seeds in damp, not wet, paper towels on a heating pad set on the low setting in a dark area, check twice daily for dampness, keep the towel damp, DO NOT LET THE PAPER TOWEL DRY OUT the seeds should sprout within two days to a week at the longest. have experienced a very high success rate using this method

4 Likes

If the others sprouted fine its just a bunk seed. Mother nature isn’t perfect. Like steve i have been growing for 30+ years sometimes its just not in the cards.

I never did paper towel method for veggie seeds i just put in starting soil and humidity dome with good success. For cannabis i soak in water bottle with tiny bit of peroxide for 24 hours. Than paper towel method usually shooting tails in 48 hours total. Though first run a seed didn’t make it this last time all sprouted nice but one plant is 60% smaller than the rest. Luck of the draw when growing. Just like humans you never know, genetics are a crazy thing.

Good luck
Dono

3 Likes

As the others have said, it could just be “dud” seeds. It happens, even from reputable seed banks, it’s one of the risk we take if we grow crop to crop. :seedling: I’m not even interested in cloning, heck, I’m still learning to grow decent yields. But yes, I recently got 3 out of 8 dud seeds from a very reputable seed co. Sometimes it just happens, that strain is old or weak, hard to tell.
Best of luck and Happy growing :grinning:

I am also right by your side Munchy. Another old gal who has only grown outside and I am also doing an inside winter grow for the first time. Sunlight and natural is so much easier than all this I keep reading. Going by the seat of my britches here. Reading and deciphering all the time. Happy to have stumbled into this group. Good information even if I don’t always understand it. LOL!

3 Likes

Someone who knows exactly what I’m going through. Constantly reading and trying to retain all of this information is a trip. When is was so simple to just start my plant and put them in the ground. Now I have to have all my ducks in a row before I can even germinate them. All the new technology is an overload too. Although I’m grateful to have this forum, it allows me to lean from everyone.

2 Likes

@Munchy Have a wonderful ThanksGiving! it gets easier once you have a routine. You do not have to make it rocket science, get get the basics down and then you mature grow by grow…it’s OK

2 Likes

Aww, you are so kind, I appreciate the words of encouragement. I know I got this and with all of the intelligent people on here like yourself for support there is no stopping my growth. :laughing: Happy Thanksgiving @Mrb53004 and everyone else.

1 Like