Saving a plant after harvest

I was just wondering if there is any way to salvage a plant after you have sampled the goods. Say for instance you have a plant out producing your others and she just happens to be shorter than her seed sisters. You get her ready to harvest and sample a bud. Whamo she is the bomb.
What is the best chance to save her for cloning purposes?

7 Likes

@Jared the best way is to just harvest the bud sites and not cut the stalk. Leave as many leaves on the plant as you can. Once you have all of the flower harvested reveg the plant. Wait until it is healthy and has some new growth before taking cuttings for clones.

8 Likes

Sweet i was hoping that would work. I just have never seen anyone suggest doing that. Actually any comments at all on the subject. Thanks.

6 Likes

@Jared it does work with photoperiods not so much with autos though. Don’t worry if the growth on the plant looks twisted and weird at first when you reveg either. That’s normal and will happen until the hormones in the plant level out.

7 Likes

Great information - I always thought of these plants as a grow and chop type, not something that could be “regrown”

2 Likes

@Bill that’s the great thing about photoperiod genetics. All it takes is changing in lighting to activate genes for flower and for veg. You can do it with fruiting plants like tomatoes indoor as well.

The only stipulation for mothers though is you need to keep them in lower light so they stop maturing and grow slowly because even though you can reveg and flower a few times the plant still has a limited life cycle. The longest I’ve kept a mother alive before she finally had enough was 3 years. I’ve heard of people keeping mothers alive for 5 plus years but they had really nice expensive lab style grow spaces that I wish I had. :joy:

2 Likes

Just wanted to let you know that all you have to do is turn the lights on for 20 hours a day and then it’s about two weeks and it’s not going to look like it was the first time. But I’d leave some of the buds on it. And the small ones will do you don’t want to defoliate it completely because it’s going to need some flower and what leaves it will have to have it for the revagation. And I have known you can keep a mother plant for as long as you keep your light on for at least 16 hours a day and feed vegative state for as long as you want it doesn’t have a this is it date. Enjoy your clones. And you can have a constant harvest. I have ran a couple of times like that. But if you have a problem you will need to get it fixed soon or all of the plants will sucom to the same problem. Grow on. And a mother tent is where you want it to be. And use a large tent to grow the flowers in you take 3-4 plants a week and replace them with a like amount of clones I would like them to be at least 5-6 weeks old and ready for flowering. Have fun with it.

3 Likes

Hi @Rob. The way you’re describing mother plants and cloning I’ve been doing for about two years now. I create a mother plant and keep it in its own tent/closet, then use it to replace plants as needed. I’ve not gone over about 15 months with a mother plant, but that’s because I wanted a different strain. This is a great way to create a “perpetual grow”.

3 Likes

Hello Bill you have a great way to grow and we can save money with a perpetual harvest and I have never been with out. I do as you I change up but I have a great place for my tents I have a couple of mothers now and different strains. I like to grow in soil it’s a very forgiving way to grow. I have done hydro I think that some of the taste is different that way. I love the fact that you can shave time off but I am a older man and I’m not in a hurry now. I love the ocean forest soil and I grow poppies with the used soil. I have had a good time with my plants I know you have too. And fun is hard to find in the time of the pandemic. Stay safe and grow happy. Best Regards Robert

1 Like

Hi @Rob. I’m also older so we’re in the same boat. I also grow other things, such as hibiscus and bird of paradise. Here are some pics of my other plants (these are all grown indoors during all but the summer season):
Hibiscus

Orange Hibiscus from Red/Yellow

Hibiscus grown from seed

Aloe Vera clones

Bird of Paradise bloom

Hey Bill you have a very green thumb. I love to grow about anything I love the succulents you have. I have a pretty good way to clone those I make slits just big enough for your cutting and not cutting it I use honey for the rooting hormones. I add about a fourth of the bottle and I usually get rooting in a couple weeks and I don’t think I’m in your level but I’m glad to see what you have done. Stay safe and grow happy. Best Regards Robert

What it the reason for dumping the soil after the grow season.?
Is it that the nutes in the soil are gone or the nute you added are to strong for plant to start in following year.
Always grown outside so always adding things to. Not discarding.
Could you explain :thinking:

1 Like

I don’t dump mine anymore I use to use once but I got to thinking about it. I do a two week flush before I harvest. And I have found that I have to feed the plants from seedlings stage to end of grow and I have the nutrients. I get the root bundle out of my smart pots and I have used it for a couple more grows. I don’t throw it away after that I amended my vegetable garden with it then. I think that a lot of people use it just once but I have got great things through 3 cycles my self. Stay safe and grow happy. Best Regards Robert [quote=“Jared, post:1, topic:2890, full:true”]
I was just wondering if there is any way to salvage a plant after you have sampled the goods. Say for instance you have a plant out producing your others and she just happens to be shorter than her seed sisters. You get her ready to harvest and sample a bud. Whamo she is the bomb.
What is the best chance to save her for cloning purposes?
[/quote]

2 Likes