Question about PPM

Is it normal for my parts per million to rise as my nutrients get lower. Don’t know a lot about parts per million

@Rusty Yes it can happen…look at the attached chart to help you…EC in the chart is same as PPM

1 Like

Thanks, guess I’m not smart enough to understand.

growing is a journey…enjoy the ups and downs…

2 Likes

How do I raise ppm kind sir

you would add more nutrients but I think your indications are ok for plant growth

1 Like

ppm is just telling you how much other stuff is in your water…distilled water will be 0ppm…your tap water has stuff in it and will typically be around 200-400PPM.

1 Like

sorry for country talk but stuff can be nutrients, chlorine, minerals

2 Likes

So to lower ppm would i add water? What number am I shooting? Don’t think you can get much countrier than me.

@Rusty yes add distilled water, with no nutrients, to lower your PPM. The number will be different for different stages…ranges from 10 to 800ppm or so… if you use my chart I gave you in the Fertilizer thread.

2 Likes

In my opinion of you use soft or distilled water (KH <7degrees hardness) you will often be in this scenario. Where your runoff has a way higher ppm than the nutrient solution you are feeding. It causes low pH in the soil and literally dissolves any nutrients or minerals it comes in contact with and washes them out with your runoff. I think this is an often overlooked aspect of water chemistry, the KH value or carbonate hardness.

This subbed thread explains what I mean better:
Sorry for the essay.
Is well water a better alternative to tap water?