Plant late for shorter plants?

Time to plan for next season. I’m going to include Durban Poison in my mix next year. This sativa landrace is reputed to grow quite tall. I camouflage my weed plants in my vegetable garden which is visible from the street. I plant behind a row of tomato plants, which grow to 6 feet.

It occurs to me that if I start my plants later, germinate in early June, they will not grow so large before flowering starts in August. I usually grow much more than I need, so volume is not a big issue to me.

Thoughts on this?

2 Likes

Have you tried starting flowering before putting them outside? Or training and tying them down?

I am a 100% outdoor grower. These will be in the ground from their 3rd or 4th week. The Low Stress Training is a good idea. I have 5 seeds, so I’ll try different things. But one of them will definitely be LST. Thanks!

2 Likes

Definitely, figure it helps with the height issue plus can give more even surface area and more light to more buds :blush:

Topping will help keep the plant shorter. You don’t want to transplant or germinate in the June heat as heat stress can easily kill seeds and seedlings (depending on where you live that is. In norcal we’re already in the 90s/100s by then.) If it’s still cool there like mid 70s to low 80s disregard and go ahead and plant later, but I still suggest toping even with planting later so you can compensate for the smaller plant with extra colas. Happy growing. :v::metal::call_me_hand:

1 Like

Same here in Michigan. But everyone I know up here waits till around may/June depending on how its been that year to put their plants out, but june here we were 90-100 degrees F this year.

1 Like

Some strains can handle the heat better than others. I know sativa strains and sativa dominant hybrids can handle the extra heat but I’m not familiar with the Durban poison strain. It really all boils down to its genetics in the end. I’d say research the strain some more and if you think it can handle being planted later in the season go for it. Just use your best judgment. I prefer to play it safe myself.

1 Like

Here in Massachusetts, it gets hot (85+F) in July and August, but it’s the rare June day that is too hot. The garden centers tell us not to transplant our veggies until Memorial Day as we can get frost into mid-May. Durban Poison is supposedly a hardy strain. I’ve got 5 seeds, so I’ll space out the planting to see how which plants work the best for being hidden from view behind my wall of tomato plants balanced with a decent yield.

1 Like

I usually start my plants from seed around the end of April. I then transplant them into my greenhouse on the summer solstice, so they dont go into flower early. If it’s a photoperiod plant then planting late is not a good idea. From what I’ve understood (and don’t quote me one this), but photoperiod plants will veg for 8 weeks before they go to flower. I tried this theory last season and planted my seeds on the summer solstice, thinking I would have smaller plants that were more manageable. Not only did my plants still grow large, they didn’t start flowering until the last week in August, nearly 4 weeks later than they usually do. I ended up not harvesting until the end of November, which was not what I wanted. LST is the easiest way to keep your plants small. Starting them earlier is also beneficial because they will develop a bigger and stronger root ball… Or just get auto flowers and not worry about it at all. Let us know what you end up doing.