Plant getting to tall

One of my photo plants is about to outgrow my tent I feel. I have my light almost all the way up in an 80” tent and the branches are almost to the lights.I planted these on July 9th, I flipped the light schedule on August 30 and they took about a week to start to flower. I believe they are in week 3 of flower now. My question is if I tie the branches down not out away from the center, but in towards the center and essentially the branches would be upside down would the plant transition and grow or adapt to being tied upside down? I feel if I try and bend the branches out away from the center it will take up most of the tent. It’s a 4X4 tent. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. My next grow with photo plants I may not leave them in veg so long. Or do more training with them. I only topped them one time. Also does anyone know if touching the plants with bare hands cause one to fail a drug screen? I was doing some defoliation tonight and I was getting sticky on my arms and well anywhere the plant touched me. I have a test next week. I haven’t used anything for about 2 weeks now so typically I would be clean to take my test, just not sure with touching the plants.

2 Likes

It would help to see a pic of the plant in order to help you with options. The residue from the plant should not affect a drug test unless you rub it all over daily wash it off with alcohol.

3 Likes

You’re trying to create the most even canopy. Which ever way you feel they need to go, in or out doesn’t matter. It’s just generally easier to stretch them outward.

Probably want to avoid heavier “bend and break” super cropping if you can avoid it by tying down.

I seriously doubt you have anything to worry about for a drug test if you’ve only had it like topically. Rubbing alcohol or believe it or not mayonnaise will lift it all right off your skin.

2 Likes

7 Likes

She looks absolutely marvelous, darling.

2 Likes

I will have to take a picture and see if it uploads, the ones I have saved says the file is to big.

2 Likes

Try cropping it down as much as you can. It will sometimes allow them to post then

2 Likes

Bottom right hand corner as selecting the image on iPhones :+1:

2 Likes

It’s the back right plant.

3 Likes

Of course the picture turned sideways well the three little girls were in the bottom left of the picture. I was hoping my 2 autos would be done before the little ones got so big and had to be transplanted. My 4X4 tent is getting really full. It’s crazy how different plants can be of the same strain.

2 Likes

Well I would try to bend the taller tops down to the rest of the canopy. Be careful you will need to bend them a bit at a time so as not to snap them or damage them. Use pipe cleaners and attach them to your pots. There are you tube videos showing how to do this. When you bend them the top will arch back toward the light so you will need to adjust to keep them even with canopy. You might want to prune off some of the fan leaves to allow more light to the buds. No more than 30% of leaves at a time. Wait a couple days between prunings in case they stress some. Hope this helps. They look pretty healthy. Grow well

3 Likes

hhahhaha genetics, Watson. If you grow/breed even for a short time, you will learn that many phenotypes will from different genotypes. lol. Only way to get the same terpene buds is to clone. Good Luck. You may possibly even end up with a better plant than ever imagined :smile: :slight_smile:

1 Like

I recently had plants overrun my light also.
I did two things before the next, current planting.

I raised my filter out of the way, the inline fan on top the tent. That bought me head room. Then I added little pipe cleaner anchors to the fabric pot, and trained the main stem into an arch, with branches competing to play the role of top. Then I just let it grow it’s bud sites. It thinks it has four tops, and although I let each of them stretch, I’ve still got plenty of room to avoid light burn.
image image

1 Like

:v::grin:

5 Likes

@DollarBill pics really show progression…Damn gunna start calling you “training master”…really nice job manipulating her to that form…I bow to your presence

1 Like

@retiredoldguy :laughing: can’t remember the last time i let one go untrained but i think a couple years back i was busy doing something all grow and grew these long tall sallies

20211011_082415

2 Likes

:v::grinning: and in my own words: it’s All FUN!!

2 Likes

Gasp, butchers!! Don’t be so cruel. :seedling::dash:

1 Like

:grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes::point_right: 20211108_000701

4 Likes

After a few cycles of tying down and responding by bending up, I was getting signs of impaired circulation, so in a moment of panic, I cut all the restraints, waited one day, and culled any less than ideal looking leaves.

It’s not like I’m a pro at this, and I’m not that far ahead in flower stored, so I didn’t want to risk losing it.
Anyway, between using the FF liquid nutes along with the FFOF soil, there was apparently enough energy and robust enough stores to pop back pretty nicely.

This is at around fifty days, after a fairly aggressive fan leaf thinning. Loving the deep blues starting to come out in the few remaining big fan leaves. At this stage, the last crop was over thirty inches tall, too close to the light, and burning up the colas.

The aborted tying still gave plants two or three inches shorter, and I think the yield and terpine profile will bump a bit as well. I think the rich, deep greens with blues coming through, and no yellow on top leaves are hopeful signs.

I think of light as another nutrient to balance. Playing with light intensity, duration, and distance are all important, and just like our diets, where what we eat and how much matters, balancing light with the nutes and water all works together.
I’m trying to stress my plant. I want to provoke a response just like a weight lifter is trying to build capacity by stressing his body, making a plant reach for water or light can I think create just that kind of response. But you can’t overdo it. Too much water is almost worse than not enough. The same with light. We want our happy solar panels producing energy that will fuel buds, and along with stored nutes, make bunches of buds because we equipped it with resources and motivated it with light and the stress of training techniques.

Plan is feed and keep an eye out for pests.

1 Like