Outside plant issues

1. Leaf appears to be eaten by insect at edges but with magnifying lens the edge does not look chewed - no insects, parasites or their scat found
  2. Leaf presents with a freckled pattern which are actually holes - the leaf structure remains without the flesh - like looking thru a screen - effecting only 3 plants out of the group and only a few affected leaves on each plant
  3. Plant is drooping with leaves which appear to be drying out- this occured overnight
    All plants in ground outside. All advices greatly appreciated. Tack.

Hello Ghe and welcome! Thank you for the great description of the problems being had. A picture speaks a thousand words and especially considering the odd circumstances you are experiencing. A couple pics when you can would help propose a possible remedy! Thanks and happy growing!

1 Like

Welcome to the forum. It’s always a good year for growing outdoor plants.:clap:

This has been my experience outdoor. I’m sure they behave differently indoor, So indoor growers don’t take this as the Bible. With no other information but your description of the holes. Especially with no picture.

Check for whiteflies about sundown. I only notice them in my garden around sundown. Otherwise they’re never in the garden. At least where I live in Washington state. And in a hotter stretch of a summer I always see them in my vegetable garden. They love to make little freckles that turn in the holes like you described. When I see them I spray them in the face with some ammonia and they leave my plants alone. And I trim the few pitted sun leaves right away. I plant potato plants nearby. All the bugs like potato plants more than the cannabis (and tomatoes). It’s a good canary in the coal mine to attract pests away from the ganja. But yeah check for white flies. They look like oversize mosquitoes. Like shaped like a mosquito but as big as a big house fly if that makes sense? I second the previous post I need a picture though.

The white flies don’t hang out during the day in my observations. They only come around at sunset to do the piercings. You want to see/look for them then.

Also check for baby slugs. Slugs come out after sunset and punch little holes too. Usually from the bottom side of the leaf. The white flies seem always on the top of the leaf. Baby slugs are surprisingly small. Big slugs just eat the whole leaves. So look for baby ones if you’re getting weird holes on the bottom. Small holes that is. You can ID them by the glistening little snot rocket trails in the morning. And they glisten in the sun. They look super thin like the silky spiderwebs. But they’re stuck to the leaf near the stem or sometimes on the soil near the foot of the plant. Baby slugs can hatch by the thousands when the conditions are right. Like cover the plant when you look an hour after sunset. Watch for the baby slugs outdoor too.:snail: - :shell: ha
Damn slugs.

Thanks Jram and Dwight for your kind responses. I intend to upload a couple descriptive photos as soon as I figure how that is done, sometime after The Wheel of Fortune EST.

1 Like

I would like to buy a vowel.

1 Like

I’d try a neem oil solution if your not in flower yet. Make sure to spray the underside of the leaves. At harvest you should wash the cut branches in a large bucket of water and H202. I slosh them around in this for a minute before hanging to dry outside (out of the sun) till completely dry to the touch. Then they are ready to be hung for curing. I hang small plants by themselves whole and large ones by the branch. This will remove any dead bugs, neem oil residue, dirt etc. Again, don’t use neem in flower it will leave an unpleasant taste.

1 Like

A great deterrent for white flies - reflective material at the base of the plant. White flies hate the light and when light reflects of the base, it helps keep the flies away. We learned this trick years ago when we grew pumpkins for our school. The white flies would destroy the squash and tomato plants. Reflective mylar cut down the destruction over 75%…

2 Likes

Thanks Gary for your very useful advice. It corroborates what I’d deduced re neem oil, purchased and used same.