Orange spots on leaves?

A friend is doing a first grow outdoors. The seed is from one found in a bag…unknown species. The plant is almost 2 months old, growing in Fox Farm Ocean mixed with Happy Frog. No nutrients have ever been added. Anyone have a clue what the problem is? Thank you!

First - rub the leaf to see if it comes off. If it does, it is RUST mold. If not, it is calcium deficiency more than likely

2 Likes

Thank you Mike! I have some Botanicare Cal-Mag Plus I can share with my friend :slight_smile:

Watch out with these bugs , this is a zoom from your image , could be pest , use organic products for pest control at least for prevention .

5 Likes

AGH!!! Thank you so much for zooming in and looking….would a bug leave spots like that ?

1 Like

A pest of any kind is bad for the plant, Bugs eating the plants nutrients can cause deficiency. Is not good at all !! :v:t3::+1:t3:

2 Likes

My 2 cents: That looks like a spider mite, and that’s the damage spider mites do. If you don’t want to use neem oil (many don’t) use this:
4 cloves of garlic
2 jalapenos
grate, boil and leave overnight to stew
mix 1 tablespoon per liter of water and bathe plant with spray bottle.

4 Likes

Or leave a plant sacrifice to the spiders as they are excellent for other crops/mosquitos.

1 Like

Sacrificing the one would be 25% of the crop :(. Actually i visited the plants today…all 4 of them seemed to have small white spots :frowning:

1 Like

Ugh. Spiders like it hot and dry, right? Or do I have it backwards?

1 Like

……and they are so close to the end of their lives :(. They look like they are maybe 2-3 weeks from harvest.

Have updated pictures?

1 Like

We’ve had a lot of rain lately and these plants are outside. The white spots have just been noticed today.

No…I should have taken some…darn!

White spots are egg sacks, normally, when you see evidence of spider mites. If soil is too wet, add something with silica, unless you think it will sort itself out since external environments seem easier to get back to balance from my limited experience? Being so close to harvest, I wouldn’t use anything chemical to kill them.

1 Like

Thank you! …and I agree about not wanting to use any sort of chemical to kill then. It seems in the past when I had spider mites on my Hibiscus I would spray with a solution of dish soap in water….what do you think about that idea?

2 Likes

Thank you! I hadn’t even noticed the bugs until you pointed it out!

I’ve done it, but I waited some extra time to make sure nothing was affected negatively. Of course, I only grew for myself, so… Some may say Neem, but, personally, I wouldn’t.

1 Like

You are the second person in this conversation to not recommend Neem oil. I do use it for outside flowering plants but would not want to use it on something I smoke. I’m curious about the mention of silica….do spider mites live in the soil and lay their eggs on the leaves?

I just found this!!

“ How do I get rid of spider mites in my soil?

Diatomaceous earth, which is made from fossils of aquatic organisms, is an organic pesticide that is lethal to arachnids and insects but non-toxic to humans. Sprinkle the food-grade version on infected plants and soil. It will dehydrate the spider mites’ exoskeletons, killing them.”

1 Like

I just went and looked it up as I wasn’t sure if they burrowed. I found this, though:

“Spider mites are one of the more difficult groups of landscape pests to control. Infestations are easiest to control when detected early, before the mite populations have reached very high levels. Twospotted spider mite infestations can often be traced to the purchase of infested plant material, especially bedding and houseplants. When buying new plants, it pays to inspect the lower leaf surfaces for evidence of mites. Spraying plants with a strong stream of water from a garden hose or faucet can dislodge many mites from leaf surfaces. The approach is generally more effective on smaller plants (e.g., houseplants), with non‑dense foliage and low mite populations. Water sprays should be directed upward against the lower leaf surfaces, and the technique will need to be repeated on regular intervals.”

https://entomology.ca.uky.edu/ef438

1 Like