Oh those pesky little caterpillars!

I saw this beautiful bright green wonderful puffy section of one of my buds, the green was so beautiful and then I saw little ridges! And then I almost had to get a crane to remove it! Then after I put it to its rest, the next day first thing in the morning, one shows up again…so I thought…is the caterpillar now a ghost and it came back on an after life?

As I do a check several times per day, yesterday I was wondering why some of the buds were starting to die and fall off. I’ve actually had to walk around the Kush Mints plant, which is the only one that’s being effected, and pick all of the dead buds that the caterpillar got to, I have to harvest them. I’m extremely happy to harvest early, but I would more rather it be because they were completely ripe buds.

Whether it’s 6:30 at night, 5:30 in the morning, 7:30 in the morning, each time I check at dusk or dawn, there’s a caterpillar eating Kush Mints! I don’t know what to do, as I don’t use poisons or any toxins due to animals and the environment. The only thing that I could think of is just being the caterpillar babysitter. Maybe if I had a dog that could bark each time there was one on the branch, that would be a very good thing. So until I find a miracle, I’m faced with setting my clock and getting up to babysit caterpillars. Any ideas? Wonderful green and growing day today! :wink: :butterfly: :leaves:

1 Like

BT in the soil. Predatory wasps. Neem oil and garlic oil foliar spray on the leaves, stems, and stalks.

4 Likes

@Butterflymusic A moth has laid eggs on your plant somewhere. Usually on one of the fan leaves. If you can find the eggs and destroy them, thats the most natural way to get rid of them before anymore hatch. Then just kill as many of the remaining caterpillars as possible. I’ve started using ladybugs the last few years to eat any eggs and they help with any aphids or spider mites. Here’s a guy I found yesterday after 2+ months in my greenhouse. Love nature’s good guys

2 Likes

Hi MDBuds & Stephen…

It’s been a very long 3-days! I’m still out there getting, smashing, threatening the f …outta these little almost grey/black…the color of moths…kinda 2nd caterpillars. I only have oils to mix with soap-natural way for pesticides. If I could get the best oil to mix, i probably have it. But it’s a job getting these things off. I was just about too late with the Kush Mints…but I’m on my way back out there now. I had one set of buds at the end of a branch last week that was as bid as my hand…now it’s as big as 2-fingers. Gotta get back out there.

MDBuds…gotta question…is this something I can microwave & then strain? I did go on google & found this is a purchasable item…the garlic stuff…but I’d love to make it…I have all types of garlic. Also, I thought neem oil wouldn’t kill this stuff, but I’m all ears! Thank you for this…I’ll pick some & come back to see if you got this message.

Sorry to everyone, I don’t have time to respond because it’s been quite a time, but I love everyone! Take care & Lady Lucky Bug visited you at the right time. Thanks to you both. :smile: I have to get a few of those. Peace. :wink:

2 Likes

@Butterflymusic neem oil and garlic oil in high enough concentrations can kill soft bodied insects on contact.

The garlic oil I make just needs 2 whole large bulbs of garlic 2 large hot chilis 1/2 cup of your preferred vegetable oil optional 3 tablespoons non toxic dish soap and 4 quarts of water. Boil the water and as the water is boiling put garlic and chilis in blender then add water just until it covers the top of the garlic and chilis. Blend until forms a thick paste then add the rest of the boiling water along with the oil and soap. Blend until about the consistency of milk. Let sit overnight to steep. Strain through cheese cloth into airtight container and store in fridge next day. To use dilute 1 part solution to 10 parts water up to a full 50/50 mix depending on severity of issue. For caterpillars I would do 50/50. Just don’t spray the buds if you want to save them.

Bt is a bacteria you can find in the store that will kill the larvae in the soil so I’d suggest getting some of that too. Both the spray and bt together will kill all the larvae and help get rid of the adults while also preventing gypsy moths from coming back to lay more eggs.

2 Likes

Hi again MDBuds…

I’m on it right now! I have some old & nasty hot garlic in the fridge I’ll get that going in a pot now. There’s not many buds on Kush Mints, but she has her green color, some seeds growing & my butt in the kitchen now~! Ciao for now! I’ll keep you posted. Thanks again! Peace. :garlic: :seedling: :slight_smile:

3 Likes

@Butterflymusic I’ve gone through the same hell you’re going through so I know how you feel. Lost around 75% of my crop one year. I did notice the moths like certain strains more than others. Kush strains always attract them for some reason. I do use the neem oil and bt spray but only when they’re in veg. Once mine start flowering I stop all the foliar sprays and don’t use anything in the soil either. Just the lady bugs, and every now and then I’ll find a praying mantis in the yard and put them in the greenhouse. Lacewing are good guys for you plants also. They also seem to be attracted to marijuana which is a win win. I’ve gotten to the point where just doing as many preventative measures as possible makes the process a lot less stressful. Good luck with all your gardening adventures and let us know how it all turns out.