Odd looking seedling leaves

I am very new to growing cannabis and I had a question about a seedling. I bought some seeds from Homegorwn Cannabis Co a couple of months ago. I am currently growing Critical x Northern Lights Autoflower (HMG-CNBL-FAP4) and Gorilla Glue #4 Autoflower (HMG-GOA-FAP4) in a 3 foot x 2 foot grow tent with a 300W LED. This is my first attempt to grow in a tent. I staggered the grows, the Northern Lights sprouted about 3 1/2 weeks ago and the Gorilla Glue sprouted about 1 1/2 weeks ago. The Northern Lights got off to a slow start with some weird wrinkly looking leaves but once I transplanted it into its final pot, it started growing fast and seems to be thriving now. The Gorilla Glue has started out with some weird looking leaves also. I wish I could post a photo but a new user cannot upload a photo. Has anyone else seen odd wrinkly leaves on seedlings and then the plant eventually starts to grow normal?

3 Likes

This is pretty normal. When a seedling starts growing its first set of real leaves they look wrinkled and usually a medium to a dark green. As long as they aren’t yellow, brown, or dry the plant is healthy.

2 Likes

Awesome. Thanks for the quick response. I have grown outside before and I haven’t seen this. Are these seedlings doing it because they are Autoflower and/or because it is in a tent with an LED light or neither?

2 Likes

Neither. It just has to do with genetics of the plant and the rate of growth. If the picture above is what you meant by wrinkled looking then that is a normal healthy growth of the first real fan leaves before they lose the cotyledons. @Brian.C

2 Likes

The one that I grew outside looked like your picture but neither of the inside seedlings looked like that. They looked very weird almost like a mutant. I wish I could post a photo.

1 Like

20200909_114625

@Brian.C did it look like this? If so this is a fairly common mutation as well. This is what happens when you get a plant that “tops” itself and starts bushing out with two tops at the seedling stage.

1 Like

Sometimes they can even sprout with 3 to 4 cotyledons and it looks almost like there’s a small incision down the stem as they are fusing together.

1 Like

Yep. I think you hit the nail on the head. I did not have two tap roots but it definitely looks like this. Maybe even a little more mutated. Thanks for the info.

2 Likes

Welcome to HCC! Looking forward to seeing more from you Brian!

1 Like

Why can’t you post a photo? My first day on here I was able to, should just be limited on how many posts you can post and maybe a photo upload limit (not sure as I’m still new here too lol) regardless welcome aboard.

1 Like

Well, I just tried again and it let me. Here si the photo off the odd leaves. The first time I tried it said that new users could not upload images or something like that.

2 Likes

4 Likes

Word, hopefully I didn’t come off wrong I was just wondering, I figure the sites still kinda new so gonna be a few bugs here and there. As for the leaves I’d guess mutation or just a wonky set. Have had similar issues i past. I’m curious as to if the majority of the leaves will be that way or just a couple? Definitely gonna follow.

1 Like

No worries, you didn’t come off wrong. So when this happened to the Northern Lights Auto it was just the first set of leaves that were strange. However this Gorilla Glue Auto looks odd and seems to get more odd everyday. I am going to give it a chance to develop the second node then see how the third node develops. If it continues to look like a mutant, I may throw this one to the scrap heap.

2 Likes

For what it is worth, the Northern Lights plant that started out with the odd leaves is thriving now. I will upload a couple of photos.

1 Like

3 Likes

Keep the mutant. Experiment. You never know, it could be a desirable mutation in the end result.

Like many of our favorite strains and landraces. Mutations are how things evolve and if this mutation is desirable it might just be the next best thing.

6 Likes

I kinda had that thought too. I’ll post some mutant updates over the next few days.

3 Likes

Their looking good, and that was my thought is the mutation could be something amazing.

2 Likes

Nothing to worry about they straighten right up