My girls are COLD🥶🥶

Good morning all hope everybody is doing whale this cold morning at least its cold in Ohio.

Wanted to find out if any body as used a reptile heat bulb or lamp to increase the temperature in the tent? This is what I’m thinking to use in 3x3x5 basement tent

Thanks & have a great day

3 Likes

I haven’t, but I was just wondering after coming out of my room if I could get my Christmas lights to wrap around my pots? I’ve done it when making kombucha. (Completely different thing, I know, I appreciate your patience)

On hindsight, my idea doesn’t sound the safest. :rofl:

3 Likes

I use them. I use the BLACK ceramic bulbs, 150w -250w - they do not give off any light so they work during dark period.

4 Likes

Hot damn! I’m excited, how about y’all? Maybe I should get some lamps?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/weather/2021/01/05/polar-vortex-split-cold-snow/

2 Likes

I use those little heating pads under my Reservoir in both my boxes. 10 to 15 bucks at walmart. Easily adjustable. Low med HI. Then if still too hot, pull half of pad out from under. I’m just an old redneck.

5 Likes

You are not. You have critical thinking skills that most of the world has forgotten how to use due to rampant consumerism that has turned into idolatry. I, for one, appreciate your knowledge. Thank you. :pray::herb::heart:

4 Likes

How many you running & where did you mount in the tent?.

1 Like

I have MASTER timer at 20/4 for plants - dark period is 11 am to 3pm, usually close to warmest part of day. I run my lights at night for the heat

I have sub timer (up to 6 schedules in 24hr period, can program 7 days) for UV (A/B)

I run 2 x 250w 24/7

I run 75w UVA/UVB on timer 2 hrs a day 22/2

1 run 75w RED (for roots) 20/4 with my lights

The UV and Red are for specific plants. I have a new light coming with built in IR & UV. I will stop RED and move to a seedling box. It helps them get good roots

As you can see, I clip them to the poles or hang them (ceramics)

3 Likes

I got a poot puller (vent fan for bathroom) for 15 bucks @ lowes & a dimmer switch for 3 bucks. Put in my homemade box I made. I told ya, imma just an old redneck.

5 Likes

I wish I wasn’t afraid of electricity. :flushed:

1 Like

I DiYed my entire first grow. Tent, lights, soil, fans, everything I could. Works as well or better than a lot of off the shelf items.

5 Likes

I used a 5 gallon bucket with water and a fish aquarium heater.

3 Likes

@Rye its helpful that you had the know-how to do that. I know nothing, so box & shelf & money :rofl::rofl:.

Keep those girls growing!!

4 Likes

@Rusty I use those same heating pads under my starter pots and clones to increase temps for better root growth. I set it under 5/8" plywood so the heat is diffused and dispersed. Seems to work well!

3 Likes

@Adcrag :v:

2 Likes

Warmer than my place!!!

2 Likes

@Bill

3 Likes

If you keep their roots warm & happy the tops will take some cold temps, use a couple seedling heating mats, preferably with a thermostat controller, if your real tight on $$ you can place some pencils or what not to keep heating pads from direct contact with your trays/planters, failing to keep soil/media temps above 50deg will bring nutrient issues, especially cal & mag…

1 Like

Good ideas @Jimbo, I’m going to use heated humidifier in my 3x3x5 tent. That way I get heat & humidity addressed at the same time

1 Like

You may end up needing both, nighttime/lights out when heat is likely most needed is when you do not want high humidity, (unless running autos) I am a firm believer in following the VPD chart for young plants, but too much can bring unwanted issues, root ball temps are a lot more important than most realize…

1 Like