My first grow ever

Do I need to use ph water if I use fox farm ocean forest?

1 Like

It is a good thing to use Ph water no matter what medium you are growing in. Soil is one of the few substrates that will correct ph but that does not mean you can just flood your plants with water that is too acidic or alkaline. If you are using tap water, you should be able to google what your avg ph is for your local tap water. You can also google ph for bottled water and as long as you are somewhere between 5.7 and 7.2. At the extreme ends, you can get issues but, you should be ok. Preferred is right around 6-6.5 so look for a water that fits your needs and stop worrying about ph. If you add any nutrients to your water, you change the whole kit and caboodle

2 Likes

I always PH the water, but my source water has a PH almost 8

2 Likes

Hey @Smokey1272 and welcome to the forum. I use foxfarm everything from the soil to the nutrients and yes i PH my water everytime which they do indicate on the directions.

1 Like

Always if possible. PH and airiate if you can. Ph should be the last thing you do to your water before you use it. And welcome to the forum @Smokey1272.

Yes definitely PH your water! 6.2-6.8 range for optimum nutrient uptake with 6.5 being your target in soil, Pick up a cheap PH meter off amazon, when you water if you are adding nutrients and such always PH your water after you add everything, pick up some bottles of PH up and down to adjust, then dial it into 6.5 and water those ladies and watch em grow! Also if you are using fox farm ocean you can prob go about 3 weeks of just water before you would need to add more nutrients since the soil already has a bunch. For the autos I am running right now, I am running fox farm / coco mix. Just ph water the first 3 weeks, top dress with nutrients, water 3 more weeks, top dress again, wait to harvest!

3 Likes

@Smokey1272 @Highigan is spot on. All I would add is if you’re growing organic to use dolomite lime or wood ash for ph up and use distilled white or apple cider vinegar for ph down.

2 Likes