MG $ versus Foxfarm $$

I use MG p.s & plant food from Home depot…Pretty much anything else, you order…Is there that much of a difference in bud size and weight on the scales…I’m averaging 3/4-1oz per auto plant now…
So like to ask what kind of grow Foxfarm growers had…

1 Like

My thoughts,
it’s more of a live soil vs chemical fertilizers thing than a MG vs fox farm thing. I would say for the last 20 -25 years I have switched to a more live soul (typo but true) soil than a chemical fertilizer enriched soil. I did it subconsciously at first as my growing evolved. It wasn’t a movement or political grow agenda like you suck montsento. If you are not reusing your soil than it is a waste to buy more expensive live soil. The live soil just gets better with time. Think of it more of feeding your dirt and microbes and the by product is the nutrients your plants need. And your plants just happen to get to put their roots there. If you don’t think this way then live soils would make less sense to buy as the more expensive choice. If you reuse it and add compost and char to it you have cost savings by grow 3. And arguably better soil than out of the bag. Even the fox farms or live soil “x”.

Before I became a home owner (moved a lot, rentals, housemates etc). and in my younger days I grew a lot in miracle grow soil because that was all I could find. It grows massive big chunky plants too. I never thought to reuse and build soil then. It was just garbage I tossed after the grow. Honestly I have no problem w that. The buds in my opinion always have a slight chemical taste in the exhale. Even the ones I grew. Not a ruin, but I notice. Like the difference between McDonald’s Burger vs home bbq. Still like quarter pounders but that home burger is just richer in flavor and taste. Cannot be flushed out in my opinion. And it’s not just MG. Walmart chemical fert soil and many others. Even if you start with the chemical fert enriched soil you can always make it live soil next season. Don’t throw it out unless it’s outback in a compost pile or bin.

1 Like

Massive difference. Too many differences fo even begin listing.

First of all::A big thanks…I do throw all my used MG soil in the compost along with eggshells,vegtablescraps,leaves,etc…My natural ground here is sand…I believe that back in the Jurassic period, this was the beach…Where Dinosaurs play in the Gulf and frolic in the sand…The place is loaded with trees and other green-stuff…But a few inches down, I would say not much nutrients…I have amended soil for outside grows…Maybe a half sand-compost and MG mix for a inside grow.Hopefullly better results…

2 Likes

Since you are building soil for outside grow… my biggest tip would be biochar. Microrhizae growth blows up. You see hyphae just wrap up the char. It holds moister, yet ironically helps with drainage. Drainage probably isn’t a problem for you in sand. But most importantly char (carbon has 4 unpaired outer orbital electrons) chemically binds nutrients in your soil so they they don’t flush out. At watering or rains off season. Less nutrient (N and P) wash out into river or lakes (or the Gulf of Mexico dead zone). In Washington feed lots and slaughter yards preach spreading fresh unloaded char around the perimeter of fields and penned enclosures. It takes care of livestock “poop” algae blooms (eutrophication) of lakes and streams. I even read about it being added to the livestock feed itself to bind up methane emissions out the backside. Talk about at the source. Carbon loves double bonding to carbon. Then it is spread over field crops. I also read that Warehouser does it a lot too on its tree farm fields out on the Olympic peninsula. Biochar and biosolids from the sewage treatment plant= board ft of lumber. I also read studies in Yellowstone Park using biochar. The results were more plant species diversity the following year and increased soil moisture during droughts. They use it to turn pine beetle killed trees into char. They have a big towable retort oven the forest service uses. So I read.
Yeah biochar👍.

2 Likes

Biochar…Next burn in fire-pit I won’t burn to ash…I do mix ashes into the compost…Just not often…I’m afraid of to high a ph…After reading on biochar,and how to harvest it, I gotta try it…But could not find if the ph would be high…I like 6 to 6.5…Still make the biochar and see

2 Likes

Theres a massive thread on here about biochar and the differences in how it’s made and how to use it in a cannabis garden.

2 Likes

@Wildbill the ph of biochar is close to neutral if you activate it with Calcium Chloride and charge it with nutrients before use. It takes on the PH of the tea you use to charge it.

If you don’t charge it though it can have a ph range of 10-15. Super high. So be sure to charge it after activation.

1 Like

@Wildbill here’s the link to the thread where we discussed biochar and I break down how to activate it and increase its molecular surface area.

1 Like

Google (hoogle culture). I used to live in east texas. We had pure sand 5 to 7 ft deep poor fertility and no moisture retention. I never raised cannabis back then but buried tons of hardwood under shallow beds. It worked wonders for the garden. I still use the same techniques now in Oklahomas heavy Clay soil.

2 Likes