Maturity Question

If height wasn’t an issue, is there harm, benefit, or neither to letting plants continue to grow past mature/harvest stage?
I ask because I have one that is 15 weeks, almost 2ft tall, but is a right, girthy girl. Built like an anvil turned on her side. Just dense. I don’t know if I should harvest, continue grow protocols and wait/see? Thanks for any input.

3 Likes

Hi and welcome to the forum! From my experience….The longer wait past maturity the more trichomes degrade. It results in a less potent flower. Happy growing!

2 Likes

Hey @ChiefJmiah

Welcome to the forum!

You don’t want to let your plants grow too long, just as @Jram_13 says above.

Just like fruits or flowers, you want to pick or harvest them at the optimum time.

See the chart below. You’ll need a strong magnifying glass or jewelers loupe to get a nice close look at the trichomes

1 Like

I have never seen this “chart”. VERY interesting, if ya ask me! So now I’m thinking I might want my Fem Gelato’s trichomes cloudy, for the maximum effects. I’m not at all sure what you mean by cough-lock high? I cough on most all smoke! Maybe I’m allergic to it?! Yikes, doesn’t change much for me. hahahaha

1 Like

growing past maturity has multiple effects
degradation of potency
increases the chance to hermie…we used to let plants overmature to get seeds from them when we did not have males

couch lock - when you smoke and cannot get your ass up off the couch…

coughing…dry your stash better and cure it longer to make it smoother…dry at 64%rh 10-14 days, cure at 55-64%…month.longer

4 Likes

So, here’s another quick question, along the same lines. The trichrome lvls is about 75% coverage over plant, has that perfect cloudy trichrome, “glazing” over the entirety of the flower. Since I’m new and still learning, I was thinking of a way to mimic nature. Should I introduce the flower to a gradual cooler then temp pre-harvest? Also, do I have enough time? This is a White Widow/Green Crack hybrid. Thank you for all your input!

If you get a chance to talk to mike, super smart and lots of knowledge with all things cannabis. Time to harvest? - #11 by Mrb53004

1 Like

Here is my opinion (each of us have different opinions…doesn’t make me more or less right, just a different opinion). Maturity - look at the chart I go by

I consider amber a degradation of potency…I also believe terpenes are just as or even more important than trichomes. When I was younger, we harvest based on observation of pistils…Times changed…we started using jewelers loupes and thought it was the best indicator…now we understand the role of terpenes, strains are much more complex and developed.
I harvest when cloudy…no matter the strain. Most Indicas are already “sit your ass on the couch” without ant help (amber). Sativa…well, can go a little longer. Personal choice - what do you want / like better - energetic (sativa /hybrids), or relaxing (Indica /hybrids). Your strain - Sativa (Crack) / Hybrid (WW)…
look at this chart
click here to view genetics
Trikes - continue to mature even after being CUT…How fast ddo trikes mature - as little as 2 days…a week on the outside
WINTER - after over 50 yrs doing this, winter definitely has a wonderful effect on canna. I Water my plants (and sometimes feed too) with ICE CUBES (at night). I want to bring those temps down…this makes the terpenes develop. Brings out color, flavor and the affects of the different terps. I also add IR/UV bulb, 2 hrs a day to help. I cut LIGHT down to 8 hrs (gradually) and lower temps to 65°f if possible. This mimics winter. If its good enough for nature, it s good enough for me.

So, if these/this were mine…let her dry our in darkness (2 days) as cold as possible AND
to finalize - looking at 75% …if they are milky…TIMBER! :yum:

6 Likes

We are answering on command today, I see…:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: you’re the best, my friend.

1 Like

Thank you so much for all your input and knowledge everyone. As I stated earlier, I am new to this process, but have a vested interest in growing my own personal, especially as I get older. I am inhaling (pun intended) as much information on the subject matter as possible so that I too can one day produce different strains/ with reliable sound techniques to hone my craft. Peace and Love everyone!

3 Likes

and your journey has begun…word of wisdom…do not get anal…it is easy to think something is wrong at every step / stage. Sometimes you just gotta let it grow

3 Likes

That’s what I’ve done this time around. Got some Kushman seeds, bought a tent, 1000 watt led light, carbon filter, and some great organic soil. Started with 24 on (post germination) at 50% light. Once I got to vegetation, increased to 16/8 at 75% about 12" from top. Once the pistols really popped, switched to 18/6 at 100% light. I’m sure I made mistakes along the way and there is room to improve, but, after this time, the last thing I want to do, is mess up the harvest aspect.

1 Like

I have found it helps to keep a calendar or diary too. If you are like me and enjoy a good toke, it is easy to be forgetful!

3 Likes

I find using a camera to take closeup photos gives me a better view of the trichomes than any hand held magnifying glass. Zoom in on the computer, works great. My new phone’s camera has a closeup lens that works well.

4 Likes