Low stress training

Hey guy’s,
I wanted to run this by the group. I’ve got an idea as to how I’m going to proceed but how do these plants look on my florist attempt at lst. Here are before and after pics, the plants are autos and the are 15 days old.

1 Like

Well done @Topher85. I’m new to this thing, but I seem to get LST training. I’d add a anchor around the main stem tied off in the opposite direction for support.

Happy growing

2 Likes

If I start it this early, it seems like it would be less dramatic for me. Do you think I could form it into a topiary shape?

1 Like

Ok now, if got limited knowledge lol. Don’t know what that is. But I’m sure someone will jump in & help you out.

Happy growing

1 Like

KEEP IN MIND. When we start LST this early, the stems are nice and soft and can handle the bending. One of the problems we run in to is we run OUT OF ROOM. I no longer plant my girls in the middle of the container unless I am letting them grow au natural… I plant over to one side so I have room to bend them. I alsu use a bigger container so I have room for training. Before I bend the apical stem,I secure it, like @Adcrag says so it is not growing at an angle. As the stems matures, the apical will rise above the rim of the container. If it is leaning, it can get damaged by the edge

4 Likes

Look at me having so much faith in you. This will not change. <3

1 Like

Hey just learned something new. I’ve bought 5 gal fabric pots & will plant my seeds to side. How close to side?? Probably be anal lol

3 Likes

If you buy black cloth, the roots will grow right up to it. If you buy the tan cloth, the roots will back off. I prefer tan for training and I plant about 2-3 inches from one side. I do not do it near the handle so I can still grab the pot. I use the black pots when I am planting something I am not going to train and just grow STRAIGHT up. I use 2 and or 3 gallon for auto, 5 gal for photo.Everyone starts in a 1 gal grey cloth bag

You transplant autos? I heard that was risky and could cause a lot of problems

1 Like

@Topher85 Chris, I DO!. But I do not do it with every auto I grow. Time and experience blesses you with knowledge. You can recognize which of your babies can handle more attention and which want to be LEFT ALONE.
I use transplanting for 2 reasons: I start in peat pods, move to 3" peat cups and plant in 1 gal cloth when they are at the point I can train, whether or not I train them. I transplant from 1 gal to 2 gal or 3 gal depending on the plant and sometimes even transplant a second time to a 5 gal. Sometimes I leave them in their 1 gal and let them go. It is like the solo cup challenge. I am thinking to do a SCROG using only 1 gal containers but like 20 under my light and let the canopy just go for it. Only hard part is watering…I may put in a large pan and water from the bottom, wick style.
Transplanting auto flowers CAN (it can also stunt them so you gotta be willing to loose) act like re-vegging for an auto plant. It mus be done very gently, having watered within 3 days so soil is not too wet, not too dry. When the roots realize they have MORE ROOM, they affect the hormones and STRETCH their grow time. I have GirlScoutCookie auto that was potted (not planted…maybe a week earlier) and she is just getting into full bloom NOW. That is 3.5 months and I guestimate I got 3-4 more weeks of flowering. It is how we PUSH auto flower. You cannot do this with every strain and that is what I mean by experience. I kill many learning what I can and cannot do but I have many to kill.

This is BRUCE in a 2 gal container…He is going to a 5gal as is my Alaskan Purple

3 Likes

I am using 3 gal fabric pots. I am planting directly to them after germination. Is this wrong? Except for my newby errors this is working good for me.

No, it is NOT wrong. Nothing wrong with seeding directly to the final container