LED Light question with autos

IIRC, plants can take 1000+PAR. I just doubled my lights which are giving me about 500+/-PAR using a cheapo meter at 18”. Since it’s practically impossible for me to get “over PAR”(assuming with this light without laying on top of plant) can I put the lights as close as possible as long as I can still control temps at canopy level? My heat sensor hangs directly below lights level with canopy so I can maintain 77f(roughly 18”). If I can keep the temp from climbing, can I lower lights and if so, is it worth it? Thank you so much in advance if you got this far. :pray:t2:

The lights are two TOAD 1000w LEDs where I can switch between red and blues. I leave them on full. I assume they are low grade lights and that I’m probably not getting a real1000w. Plants are 9wk old HG Moby Dick autos.

3 Likes

Yes,but, moving them closer will shrink your total coverage area. I wouldn’t want to increase light in the middle of the area, only to have it decrease towards the edges.

I’d try to figure out the height where you get even-ish coverage on the entire canopy, and that’s probably the best you can get with that light.

I am a fiend when it comes to light though. This process takes a few months and I want to be able to get as much as I can out of it. The light is like the gas pedal. More photosynthesis = more growth = more yield.

7 Likes

Ah gotcha. I didn’t think of that. I’ll use the light meter and try to find the outside edge of the envelope and keep an eye on that as I lower it to maintain optimum light. As soon as I see a drop, I’ll raise it back up some. :+1:

I realize they’re not the best lights but they do put out low heat and have done “ok” so far. For my lil 2.5x3’ space and $120(for both), they work! :laughing:

3 Likes

Though never even warm, a little too close light, even LED light, can do this. Until I rearranged my tent, the tops got too close. It isn’t helping yield.

2 Likes

I’m on my first indoor grow and expect to harvest within the week. 3 Autos and a non-flipped Bannon.
I followed the limits on the box which read 18 to 24 inches. That was a mistake. They started stretching for the light. I kept lowering them, watching for light burn. I did a little burn at 9 inches so I’ve stayed at 12. I do mimic the day by having them come on and off at 30%.
I was aware that the coverage is unbalanced but I rotate and spin the pots daily. I was actually thinking about concocting a slow turning lazy Susan but I couldn’t find one.
I do throttle the dinner to keep my temp 22-24 and RH<50 which comes easily.
I debating whether I even want an outdoor crop. This Indoor growing is so easy and my buds are giant.

3 Likes

If you ever find the right place to place your plants outside you might change your mind @SlingShot

3 Likes

We’re getting away from outdoors as we live in one of the shit states that doesn’t even have medical yet. This is lower stress, lower yield but we can go crop to crop year round. Good with bad concept.

2 Likes

I live in Appalachian mountains for most of my life and my mentor who showed me pretty much everything i know we used to grow in mountains and I’ve seen some that would scare you when you was walking up on them always afraid the cops was watching them 12 to 14 foot tall looked like bananas hanging every where that’s when we went by red hairs on them to harvest it’s went long ways since then but the soul in the mountains is really rich and great to grow in it’s black as coal soil is old time’s bring back memories

3 Likes

I’m in the north Georgia mountains. 10 miles from North and South Carolina.
Though we don’t allow nothing here, I’m on my own 18 acres, a single 1700 driveway that is gated and watched with a cell camera.
I did a late summer grow and it was my first. I started out trying to grow my seeds in the dirt. I tilled a small garden, bought some Cow manure and put the seedlings in like I was growing onions. I had a lot of weather issues. We get torrential rain up here and a few times it nearly washed the garden away. I was learning some so I switched to a raised bed. I have loads of sunlight when it’s not raining. I also made a tent out of semi clear plastic to shield the rain and the sun when it got too hot.
Veg went fairly well but once they started to flower, i was in for a fight. Pests, mold, army worms, you name it. And I was lost and confused every step of the way!
Had no idea how to Neut. I was just throwing anything at it. Out of 9 scraggly plants, I got about 2oz. of weak bud. I probably washed off most of the trikes since I would water them like I was spraying my lawn. I would also handle way too much. But I did get educated.
I will more than likely do an outdoor crop but they will be in 5 gallon clothes pots with MixASoil. Free light and I can wheel them into the basement when the weather turns. And if things go sour, they can go in the tent.
That’s the plan.

1 Like

If growing outside i sprout my seeds in paper towel and get them up around foot tall and make sure no more frost you wouldn’t believe all the tomato plants I’ve lost here in ky i wait til mother’s day then put every thing out except peas,greens, onions

3 Likes