Just trying to hone my skills

Hello everyone a little background on me, I have only made 2 previous grows of autoflowers in soil in a 24 x 60 inch closet (they both turned out great). This is my first grow with photo’s. and I upgraded my whole setup on black Friday. With this in mind my question’s may sound silly but I am trying my best to be successful at this.

1. Should I run my exhaust fan 24/7?
  2. Should I run my oscillating fan whenever the lights are on or can I get by with a few hours each day?
  3. How much light is ideal for veg? I have more led power available than I will ever need.(running at 210 watts now)
  4. I am going to hang a trellis net , about how high should it be above the soil ?
  5. When I hang my trellis net I plan on taking clones and vegging them in a different tent. My flower tent is 5"x5". How big should my veg. tent be?

I’m not looking for a freebie I have spent hundreds of hours reading and since covid-19 I think I watched every video on YouTube (I have put my time in on Research) but I know there is no substitute for experience. My new set up-

1. 5’x5’ mars hydro tent
  2. 6@ Hlg qb288 v2 Rspec boards
  3. 600 watt meanwell driver
  4. 6" infinity exhaust fan
  5. Fox Farm ocean floor (perlite and worm castings added)
  6. 9@ Bruce Banner’s from homegrown cannabis co
  7. floraflex style watering system
  8. secret jardin monkey fan

Thanks for any suggestions , comments or conversation

2 Likes

Hi again. We have already welcomed you but welcome again. An impressive setup for sure. I think this will be a collaborative thing where many of us offer some insights, I hope
to try and answer in order
1.) I attach my exhaust to a controller. I can do this becasue I have managed to maintain my temps using alternate methods. I, for one, do not believe you need an exhaust running 24/7 unless you need STEALTH and have to filter the odors. I set my temp on my controller and if it reaches that temp, my exhaust kicks in and cools down my environment.
2.) I run my fans (I have a larger tent) 24/7
3.) Ideal light…is based on a) how many plants, b) sq footage and how much space they take up c) strain
and d) heat & Rh…affected by lights. Lets invite MDBuds for the definitive amunt of light, probably down to photonic levels, for the grow area, genus, etc
4.) Trellis - depends on what you grow. As Sativa and Indica grow in different manners, each defines the trellis. I usually have built a simple pvc schedule 40 cage (just 4 corners, and uprights (verticals) open ended so I can add / manipulate a little if needed. There are times I have had to add a second and even third net during major grows. Sativa can take off like crazy sometimes and sometimes strains have redundant genes that kick in and it doesn’t always grow how we want it to. With the uprights open, I can slide another net on if needed. Training also determines the height of our net/s. If you manifold, hard LST, HST, chiropractic, you change things. Indica’s make room for wide bushy plants so less room (less plants) and lower height requirements
5.) Vegging tent…The size of the veg tent is dependent on the flower tent and NOT, coupled with strain. Since you are vegging, you can have as many as will fit. They eventually have to go to the flower tent. You need 2-3 feet additional height than the veg on Sativa, the Indica will stay pretty much as wide as it is but only about 1-2 feet required height, maybe more depending on light / light burn / heat. Gotta keep in mind the room needed for the lights to hang. Vegging requires much less photonic ability than flowering does. Blue spectrum will keep them shorter. If the lights are too high, you get plant stretch. I run my veggy at roughly 30-40% of light capability. Flowering I pump it up to 80% plus. that is why we buy good lights with power control else we have to set the lights higher / lower to compensate.
If a flower tent is 25 sq ft, wait for MDBuds to tell you best fit and then you can determine veg tent size. You do not want to have 20 clones/ seedlings when only 5 may fit in flower tent. All you wind up doing is working extra hard to maintain the environment. More plants = more Rh = more chance of infestation, issues, watering, nutreints…on and on and on. In Photo vegging, remember,we can grow those girls for unlimited time, allowing them to grow bigger and bigger as long as we maintain a 14hr plus light schedule

I once had over 2500 sq ft of flower space and it was difficult to manage the veg space so I had contiguous momentum, veg to flower to crop to flower to crop…on and on. The formula was difficult to maintain a proper ratio of veg to flower. I also had my 5 mothers for clones. I probably cloned 60 a month and vegged for 8 weeks with an 8 week average flower so the tent emptied in time. I probably tossed easily 10-20 clones anywhere from 2 to 4 weeks.
You have a much smaller environment to work out so it should be much easier

IMHO - in a 5x5 tent, I would only go with the most 6 5gal containers. for 6 plants, a veg tent can be 3x3, even smaller, 2x3. Make sure you get TALL tents…That is the most important thing I can offer as advice
Veg light - as small as a 1500 or 2000 mars, viper, etc…

I am plum tuckered out right now so my brain needs a rest…We invite others opinions at this time…nighty night

6 Likes

Nice thorough info there Mike. Only thing I could possibly add is I am finding that of your ventilation fan stays on a lot it is nice to control humidity in the room you are pulling intake air from. If that room is stabalized it makes keeping your grow area correct a lot easier.

4 Likes

Wow what a great read – this was really interesting and informative. Thank you, Mike for taking the time to help me. I really learned from it.
I am going to set exhaust fan to 80 degrees (starting point) and leave my oscillating fan on all the time. I just got back from Menards with a new humidifier, I will adjust humidity in the room, not in the tent (I have going about this all wrong).
Again Thank’s to everyone for the help, great forum!

3 Likes

@brucealmighty hey man. @Mrb53004 is pretty spot on. I’d just like to simplify a few things.

1. No you don’t need to run exhaust fans 24/7. If you get a temp/humidity controller like an inkbird it will make it much easier to automate and save power.

2. you can get by with just a few hours a day with the right controller as stated above.

3. The wattage you need depends on the size of the space and what you intend to do. If you just intend to go from seedling to veg before putting in the flower tent that 210 watt light is plenty. You only need between 200-500 ppfp for seedlings and veg which is easily accomplished even by small low wattage leds.

4. I hang trellises approximately 1.5 feet above the canopy and will raise and lower as needed before the flower flip as I horizontally train.

5. The size of the veg tent and size of the flower tent are irrelevant. The only thing that matters when it comes to the size of the tent is how many plants you are growing and how tall you want them. I do have a “rule of thumb” though for vegging plants and flowering plants. For vegging plants I give each plant minimum of 1 Sq foot of space. Flowering plants I do 2 Sq feet each.

7 Likes

I set exhaust fan to 82 degrees turned oscillating fan on 24/7. Hooked up new humidifier next to tent. I let it run untouched all day. temps are holding between 78 and 80 :+1: and Rh is running 49% to 54%. These are the best numbers I have seen since setting up the tent. Thanks Guys

3 Likes

@brucealmighty :v:

1 Like

I haven’t seen this before,

any ideas?

2 Likes

I was just looking at a leaf similar to that myself. I don’t have enough experience with it, but it looks like tobacco mosaic. Any other leaves affected? I only see one on mine.

1 Like

That’s the only one in the garden.

1 Like

Hopefully, someone with more knowledge comes along. But, from what I’m reading if we don’t find anymore, there doesn’t seem to be much to be worried about. Hopefully.

1 Like

In the meantime here’s what the rest of them look like.

The weird Leaf is on the center plant.

3 Likes

Your girls look great. Are the black cords/wires for watering purposes??

1 Like

Drip irrigation watering system, all hoses are the same length so I can move any bucket any where in the tent.

2 Likes

What does drip irrigation do??

2 Likes

It is plumbed to the pump in my reservoir and controlled with a timer. It can be used to water plants or used as top feed hydroponic system.

2 Likes

Ok, very interesting!!

1 Like

It’s not TMV. Or it would have spread by now, actually a few days ago. I’m guessing a weird genetic thing, maybe that particular leaf got a gene switch thrown the others didnt. Really cool though, mark that limb and see if the buds are different. I like your set up, very nice.

1 Like

Looks like some traces of albinism

1 Like