Is this Leaf bleaching?

Does anybody have any idea what symptom this is?

1 Like

@Garden420 do you have a fan on it? It looks like wind burn to me. Glossy color and the serrations turn up or down.

2 Likes

Yes, not blowing directly on it but the air circulation does moves leaves around a little.

@Garden420 how close is the fan? Even if it’s not directly on it it can happen. I’ve gotten wind burn from oscillating fans on low a good foot away from the fan. Some fans just blow hard and some plants are just sensitive to it. Right now in my grow I have limited space because my 4x4 zipper failed so I have plants packed together for a now. 1 plant right up next to the fan is fine, and one of the others is getting wind burn so I have to rotate it daily.

1 Like

Is it best not to have wind blowing on plants at all?

@Garden420 no you want airflow but you want it just above and just below the canopy. If you have fans blowing directly on plants you want a decent distance from the fans if you can. My rule of thumb is at least 12 inches if I can help it.

Ok well its only one plant showing symptoms on top leaves that looks like wrinkles. In about the past week we still been having cold nights. During the day temperatures would be about 82 at night drop down to 55-60. Also I noticed times where I’ve had low humidity less than 40 percent. But overall plants look healthy. I haven’t noticed any nutrient deficiency. Maybe lights had something to do with it. They were set at about 15 inches at 50 percent. Now they’re at 18 inches at 60 percent. The manufacturer says set 18-24 inches during veg at 75 to 100 percent.

Here’s a picture of what they look like. Day 34 from planting seed in soil. What you think?

1 Like

@Garden420 they look nice and healthy. The light clearly wasn’t the issue. Wind burn will make leaves look glossy and wrinkly and the edges will claw down usually like what you are seeing on the one in the corner. The fan direction has the wind building up in that corner. Pull the plants a bit further out of the corners if you can, or at least rotate them in the tent, because plants in corners like that are more likely to get wind burn and also more likely to get mold and mildew if you end up with humidity and air circulation issues.

2 Likes

Thanks for the info. You always come through. Yeah I think it is wind burn because I’m experiencing all the symptoms you just explained and I am starting to rotate them.

1 Like

I was having a similar problem.
Fans serve two purposes.
Brings fresh air to the place.
Exercises the leaves which results in thicker, stronger stems.
For a long time, I was directing my fan at the base of the plant. Worked pretty well but was drying some of the lower foilage.
Then I tried something different.
My fan is a 3 speed oscillating fan. I pointed it to a wall and put the speed on medium. The air bounces off the wall and creates a whirlwind that causes all 4 places to sway. I direct the air flow along one wall and into a corner.

I keep shifting it around, then close up the tent and watch the plants through the window. You have to do it that way because the air pattern changes with the door open, as you would imagine.

I’m probably scrubbing the air much better too since there are no dead pockets.
I also noticed a drop in RH.

2 Likes

Yeah I think the more air flow you have the less RH

1 Like

@Garden420 airflow doesn’t really lower rh. It just circulates it so it doesn’t build up in one area and it’s less likely to cause mold and mildew. If you want to lower rh in a room/tent it needs to be vented or exhausted at the least.

2 Likes