Hps or led question

Hi could someone answer this for me.
I have a 2 ft x 2 ft tent.
I have both a dimmable 600w hps and a phlizon 2022 (100-150w??).
Take energy costs away, which would get me the best results? . The hps does give me some needed heat.
What configuration, what % power and distance from plants. Any thoughts welcome
Thanks

1 Like

Run the led in veg . . . if you can handle the heat run the hps in flower. I know you shouldn’t dim hps more than 50% . . . I’ve never ran one less than 100%. Add a 3x3 flower room and run both

1 Like

Space restraints unfortunately but I did a day 21 defoliation and made some clones so thinking of using led for those but not if it was the best option. I think the hps maybe with clones in mind. How much should I dim it by. There is 250w/400w/600w/660w. In a 2x2. Say 400?? Higher lower?

400 should be plenty . . . I wouldn’t go lower. Decent hps bulbs are expensive and don’t last long enough anyway, dimming too much is supposed to shorten life even more. How many hours does your current bulb have on it?

1 Like

Not sure. Prob one grow. I had loads of bulbs as I’ve downscale massively (from a 2.4m2 to a 0.7m2) but not sure where they Al are.
Thanks for your advice I’m gonna use the hps at 400 and put the Led over the clones. If the bulb goes ill put led in til I get a new bulb. There is a grow shop within a mile of my home

You should be set then . . . bulbs generally last 3-4 grows at least, and most don’t blow out, just the drop off in output by 3000-5000 hours becomes enough to warrant bulb replacement. Current bulb technology may be better . . . I’m not up to date on HID lighting these days.

1 Like

With hps it needs to be 4 foot away from ur plants I can’t use one my grow is small but led like u have are better than.hps get u same yeilds cost.u way way less in electric I use bestva bp1000/from the wall it pulls 125watt but it.pegs light letter out at 3feet away I really like.led.

Maybe 4-5’ for seedlings. From personal experience the best hanging height for a 600w HPS is 18-24" . . . however, Shane with Migro Lighting tested a 600w HPS in an Adjusta Wing reflector and says that 16" is best for PAR delivery on canopy vs leaf temps.

@frogyrogy @Timothy80

Ive started at 250w to get em used to maybe more and temps/humidity.
At that wattage I’m getting 29-32°c lights on and 20-24 lights out. Humidity is 32-40 on and 48-52 off. In my 2x2 I have a couple of cheap amazon co2 bags that prob aren’t contributing much. I’m planning on going up maybe to 400 shortly to test at least.
What distance should I have between girls and glow? With running at 250w, and 400w too. Thanks

1 Like

Iv never uses hps just led just what I read up on.I.would like to.try.hps.tho

Best advice I can give to actually dial in the height is the photone app . . . let the lamp get hot and take readings at different heights to get proper DLI. Couple of $ to unlock HPS light source on the App but it’s worth it.

Stick with LED if you can . . . they are more efficient and last longer. Unless you need the heat . . . HID lamps run hot. I don’t know the tech terms but from what I understand LED turns more of the electricity used into light, less into heat than HID does . . . efficiency. Correct me if I’m wrong about that.

1 Like

I agree led is the way to go I.love them