How to grow Bruce Banner Regular - Q&A

Here is the space to talk and ask questions about Bruce Banner Regular, if you want to purchase this product you can buy Bruce Banner Regular marijuana seeds here.

I am coming close to harvesting my first crop. My very first plant is a Blueberry Auto. Out of a dozen seeds, I lost most out of being totally unprepared and ignorant and actually arrogant. I thought, “it’s a weed, how hard can it be?” I did everything on the cheap and made little effort to learn anything. I just put seeds in dirt in a cup. I lost many in the seedling stage. Lost 4 while germinating and letting the paper towel dry out (I was travelling). I did not keep any kind of diary. I had them in little pots on the porch railing. Nearly everything died. One little Blueberry did make it and it is my pride and joy today. I also have some Kush XLs coming along nicely but still 3 weeks out.
Okay, I’m done beating myself up.

I have over a dozen Banners. I have read that it is not a beginners seed. I want to do this right.
I have a nice tent, a 48X48X80 already assembled in the basement. I have a dehumidifier.

I have a MARS HYDRO TSW 2000 Led Grow Light 300 Watt 4x4ft Coverage Full Spectrum and a smaller one for seedlings. I have some small fans. I thought about [
Hydroponics but I think that might be a little more advance than I’m ready for.
I have had good luck with Jiffy’s Organic Seed Starting Mix that is equal parts coir, peat and vermiculite. The only problem is that I found I have to replenish the nutrients often because it doesn’t hold anything. So once the plants started veggin, I mixed in Black Kow. This was all in a raised bed.
Since we are approaching Sept., I was thinking of using as much natural sunlight until the season ends. I am in the deep south, in the mountains and would like to use sunshine for its full spectrum and also to keep the elec. bill down. Why pay for what yo can get for free?
How many seeds should I germinate? What size pots? I don’t understand SOG very well? Is it just tying back upper leaves? What about gender? These are “regulars”. So, are they not feminized? Does that mean I have a 50/50 chance of a “dude” popping up among the “babes”?
Am I getting in over my head?
I would love to get a conversation going with other BB regulars. I want to be 90% prepped before germinating.

I’m a successful businessman. I’m on my fourth business but it took me three failures to get here. I understand the value in failing. I just like to keep it to a minimum. LOL

1 Like

I can’t answer all of these questions but I can offer some of my limited experience and a little advice.

The environment is your foundation. Outside, Mother Nature is running that part and she knows what she’s doing. But we’re at her mercy so we need to be prepared for whatever she’s gonna throw at us. Indoors, you’re going to have to play Father Nature.

A basement setup is going to be a great starting point. I found it really easy this spring to keep my temps and RH perfect just by moving air around in different ways. I didn’t need the dehumidifier- the added heat from the lights was also drying out the air in the tents well enough. Your mileage may vary and seasons will change so it’s just about monitoring and maintaining.

As far as starting your seedlings outdoor right now, currently the daytime hours are within a flowering photoperiod. So, you could do it, but you’d want to bring them inside at night and add a couple extra hours of light.

Using regular seeds, I think you’ll want to try to get the hang of some training. That way when you have to select out the males, you can more easily fill the space by opening the girls up a little more.

For a 4x4 tent I think I’d want 4 plants. So you’d want to start off with 7-8 seedlings. I like to keep the plants in the “right sized” pots - more economical that way and watering is easier.

I start in 4” square pots - basically solo cup size. They’re in that for 3–4 weeks. Around the 2 week mark when they’ve grown to 4 nodes is when I’ll top for the first time - the beginning of the training. After that I have 1.5 gallon and then 3 gallon plastic pots where I’ve drilled holes around the rim for tying branches down. They’re in each of those pots for a little over two weeks. I like to flower in fabric pots and my final transplant is just before Im going change the light schedule.

Hope some of this helps. You’ll need to adjust some things to suit your grow. That’s part of the responsibility of being Father Nature.

2 Likes

One more thing about the basement- you’ll want to keep the plants elevated off the floor. I’ve got my tents set on top of some of the pink foam insulation board.

2 Likes

I have my grow room in old water sistren its perfect and like you said @CurrDogg420 its easy keeping temperature in check by moving it different ways

2 Likes

Thanks @CurrDogg420
That is some very useful info. I am going to place a piece of plywood over a pallet and set my tent there.
As I said before, I want to be 99% before I even throw these seeds in a glass of water. I am still contending with the outdoor garden.
BTW, check this out. I have a game video camera watching the garden. I was concerned about deer getting into both our gardens, veggie and weed.
My visitor last night
I’ll post this but I still have some questions.

Since I will be growing Regulars, I will really need to pay attention to “trigger” points.
I already have a clipboard hanging outside the tent. Based on what you said, I will germinate 8 seeds.
I have a small LED grow light I have used to nurse the seedlings until ready to move outside. I’ll do the same until I put them in the tent.
I expect to find 3 to 4 males, statistically speaking.
Questions:
Seedlings light time (my definition of seedlings is stem and two little leaves) - How much light?
When to switch to 18-6 full intense?
When to start searching for males?
Okay, say I find a male early on. Has pollen sacs. So, let us say I find 2 males and 6 females. My intention is to only take 4 girls to harvest. I’m in a VIVOSUN 48” x 48” x 80” Hydroponic Mylar Grow Tent and I’ve ordered 5 1 gal bags.
Is it practical to take a male and female and put them in the 5 bag and moved them out of the grow tent and let them "get it on’? Will I be able to use her to harvest a seed cache? Can I put her back in the tent once she is pollenated (maybe after rinsing off any excess pollen)?
Or the the idea of seed collection a fools errand?
Can I find a Light/growth stage/stage for regulars? Since my lighting will be controlling the stage transitions, is the decision of when to switch arbitrary?
I know I am asking a lot of questions and I have been researching on my own. It is all I watch at night on YouTube and there is a lot!! Actually, it is overwhelming.
I am just trying to load my hand with the best cards before I play.

If you really want to know “how much” light, you’ll need a meter. (You’re measuring the PAR - “photosynthetically active radiation” - the quantity of plant available photons) Apogee is the top of the line brand but pricey. You can find cheaper Chinese knockoffs on Amazon for less than 1/2 the price. Those type give a reading in “micro moles” (per meter per second squared). You can also find even cheaper ones that measure lumens, and convert from there.

Recommended ranges are:
300-500 umol seedlings
500-700 umol veg
700-1000 umol flower (at ambient CO2)

You can go higher than 1000 but it’s recommended to supplement CO2 and run the plants at a higher temp. Probably not beginner stuff.

Those figures being said, the plant can also tell you what it will take. Another way to figure out how much light to use is to just keep ramping it up until she cries uncle, then back off a touch.

For the veg photoperiod, you can be anywhere from 16-8 to 24-0. Personally I like to give them a dark period to rest. Under 14 is getting into flowering range - the recommended duration there is 12-12.

The dilemma about final plant count is why I recommended training them a bit. Maybe you end up with 3, or maybe 7, you just don’t know.

I don’t have any experience with it, but I’ve heard they can be sexed early by switching to 12-12 for a few days once they’ve reached maturity. I’d look in to that if I was running regular seeds.

If you can isolate your seed run from your sinsimilla run, go for it. I wouldn’t want those plants anywhere near it at any time though. One male can pollinate like 7 acres.

Moth balls will keep deer away

He showed up last night
Look Who Came into My Garden

Think moth balls will work on this guy? LOL

I saw a You Tube where they mention the hand method but never explain it. I assumed you held your hand under the light for a certain distance until you felt a sensation. It was that Apogee Professor from Utah.
But it was never described. Are you familiar with the Hand method?
I’m sorry but what is “training them”? I assumed it meant to tie them back for more light exposure. I really need to get these terms down.

In that video I think he was actually saying that using your hand won’t work, because the human eye is not sensitive in those ranges. We’re adapted to much lower levels of light than plants need for efficient photosynthesis.

The meter is absolutely not necessary, but if you don’t have one you’re just guessing- and probably to the low side.

By “training”, yeah I meant the stuff like topping and tying branches. The stuff you do to manipulate the shape of the plant. It’s also all optional, but what I was trying to get at is, if you got the hang of that, it’s just a little more shaping if you ended up one plant short or something.

1 Like

Hi guys,

I am really flashed by the specs and the pictures of the Bruce Banner strain. And I think, that will be my choice for the next run.
But I have heard recently a lot about fake seeds sold as original.
So my question is: are your seeds original (seeds from a original clone) or are they “just” a rebuild where you have tried to come really close to the original?

Thanks in advance,
Karl Arsch

1 Like

Yes I’ve got alot of seeds here at homegrown and no issues on strains @KarlArsch3000 all good seed’s

1 Like

Im about to harvest some beautiful Bruce Almighty Fem that I got from HGCC… No complaints here.

1 Like

I have no doubt that the seeds are very good. But that doesn’t mean that they have very much in common with the original Bruce Banner from Dark horse genetics.

Many of the varieties sold here or many other places are not supposed to be available in seed form, at all. OG Kush, Sour Diesel, and many others were originally “clone only”.

That doesn’t mean they’re not good, or that it’s not even possible to produce seeds that are just as good as the original clones. That’s where the breeder comes in, and where the real work begins.

It’s my understanding that for several of the “clone only” varieties, these are produced by Blimburn Seed Co. for HGCC. The rest are produced in-house. A better forum for your question would be to send them an email, the company won’t respond in this thread.

If you like the exclusivity, or having the “genuine original” is a primary concern for you, in many cases you can source the seeds from the original breeders. Those guys work hard and need your support too. But often these are smaller releases which sell out quickly and you can expect to pay a steep premium.

2 Likes

I have 3 Bruce banners female they are between one and a half and one month they’re all starting to look a little light green what’s going on

1 Like

I have a Bruce Banner Fast Version growing right now. The seed was small and lacking in color and markings, but it went from germ to pop up in 5 days. The numbers are really impressive, 30 THC and 1.5 CBD. The taste has to be awful, right? Only time will tell, bwahaha!

I’ve been loving my Bruce Almighty(harvested in December)… Bout to start grow2, only a couple this time. I did stress 1 plant and had 2 colas get a few nanners and 4 seeds, but them buds were some of the tastiest of all. I know mine liked sulfer and blackstrap molasses water. Gave em some nanner tea a couple times too.