How to choose the best pots for your grow

@Eggs it won’t hurt them. If you’re growing in small containers and you break some small roots here and there you’re fine. You’re actually doing the plant a bit of a favor by helping it root prune so it doesn’t get root bound and develop root rot or deficiencies.

1 Like

@kmac03 I spray the whole outside of the fabric pot until moist then let it dry before adding soil and planting. Then I treat once a week with the garlic and just spray the outside of the pot and the plant giving it a decent coat. Enough to cover everything but not quite soak it. I generally stop spraying the plant when it begins to flower because I don’t want my buds tasting like garlic but will continue to spray the pot once a week as a preventative.

I generally only bust out the milk when I see signs of mold or mildew that I want to put a stop to fast. The garlic usually does a great job preventing it all together though.

1 Like

Oh absolutely, that’s what I was saying, up until this last run I’ve always used 5g buckets, seeing how they grew so well and large in a substantially smaller container has radically changed what I’m doing, I can grow what I need in half the space and use significantly less materials, I just never used anything smaller I guess I just assumed I needed the bigger planters, idk what I was thinking lol but I’m on track now…how did the gallon planter work for you? Decent yield?

2 Likes

Copy that. Next plants I put into pots, I will use this. The mildew problem isn’t horrific, but it’s annoying.

I appreciate you! :v:

1 Like

Yes to decent yield. Now I’m back in bigger pots, but it’s because I’m testing things.

1 Like

OK, so I have my plants in 64 quart Rubbermaid containers. I figure I’m going to get a lot of flack for this but I feel like the better the root system the healthier the plant the bigger the buds and so on. My grow area is only 5’ tall from the top of my dirt to the bottom of the lights. With smaller bots I could only get a 2 -2 1/2 foot tall plant, they get healthy and they do alright but just a not enough product at the end of the harvest. So this is my 1st run with the 64qt.containers the plants are healthy as all get out and I believe I’m going to have the best harvest I have had yet. What are the thoughts on a 64 qt.container? my plants still only drink as much as they would in a one gallon container I feed them every 2 days 2 gallons at a time give or take and I don’t worry about run off any longer because I have enough soil to absorb whatever I need to water and so I get rid of that headache altogether. Here is a picture of my containers.

1 Like

Ah yes, I suppose that’s where I’m at too, experimenting and tweaking my grow technique, anyway guys love u all but I’m about to pack another bowl of this bubba kush who’s seeds were furnished by our beloved homegrown here, good night folks

2 Likes

Rubbermaid containers work just fine. You are correct about healthy roots healthier plant. Part of that too is aeration. If you don’t put aeration holes in the side the roots get less oxygen. I’d suggest in a set up like this to make sure you’re using a decent amount of perlite or vermiculite in your soil and add some aeration holes in the side of those buckets to get some more air in that soil. It should help your yield. Only down side is you would get slightly more runoff so you’d have to have the lids under to make sure you catch the run off.

1 Like

I do have holes 3" up from the bottom all the way around 6" apart give or take and I agree other wise the root rot sets in. And as you can see that 3’ tall purple Kush is now about 5’ 6" tall I think they lied about the height it would reach lol

1 Like

Ah yes, I see that now. Was hard to tell at first glance. Looks like you’re doing it right. Only way now to see if you can get more is experiment with your lighting, soil, and maybe some more aeration. It’s all looking pretty good though.

1 Like

Thanks II have started using Fox farms fertilizers this time to experiment with them the tiger Bloom and big bloom seem to be doing pretty good. I know people say not to use it but miracle gro for the 1st 3 or 4 weeks really pushed the root system and the plant foliage off to a great start and then I stop and go organic from their out and by the time harvest comes all those chemicals are gone by the wayside.

2 Likes

Whatever works man. Fox farms is a great brand and miracle grow has an organic line now too and it’s generally a bit cheaper than the other high end organic potting soils so you can go full organic using miracle grow now too.

I usually mix my own soil and compost but this year I started late with my fall grow that I’m setting up right now so I’m just picking up a few cheap bags of the Kellog gardens organic potting soil because i think it’s better than the miracle grow (and cheaper) and makes a good base for starting a living soil.

3 Likes

Ive been useing 5 gal. Buckets for about 25years i put 2 one inch holes in each side they do great ive always heard old timers never plant in metal

2 Likes

Last 3 Days was at 55 degrees room temp

HGCC GG #4 Fem. all cured and ready for Moon Rocks :laughing:

2 Likes

GG #4 Fem. being a Hybrid we had two plants that flipped like this, it seems a bit THC stronger

Moon Rock City :first_quarter_moon_with_face::poop::last_quarter_moon_with_face:

Gorilla Glue #4 is the love child of Chem Sis, Sour Dubb and Chocolate Diesel.
Through extensive backcrossing, a brilliant new strain with steady genetics and reliable growth tendencies was born. :rofl:

1 Like

What pots did you use?

1 Like

5 Gallon Buckets with holes drilled all the way around the top rim and as many holes as i can drill in the bottom for drainage

1 Like

@MDBuds great to meet you

1 Like

Great to meet you. Glad you had some success with plastic 5 gallon buckets.

1 Like