How do I store my seeds

How do you recommend I store my seeds? I am not going to grow them all at once and I want them to last and be fresh.

2 Likes

Keep them in a dry,opaque,airtight container in a cool ,dark place…I keep mine in the veggie-crisper drawer of my fridge…That has worked well for me for over 50 years…:>)

10 Likes

That would have been my guess, but just that. For what they cost, I wanted to be sure. Thanks. Happy trails.

2 Likes

DO NOT put them in the freezer!..The bottom of the fridge isnt as cold as the upper shelf,especially if you have a ‘top freezer’ model…:>)

5 Likes

If you going to keep them in the fridge( I do as well) and are keeping many seeds together but only want to plant one, make sure that you let the seeds come up to room temp before opening the package.You don’t want a bunch of condensation to ruin the rest.
I keep mine in a small cooler at the bottom rear of my fridge. I also keep dessicant packs in with them.

7 Likes

i store my seeds in mason jars. then put the jars in a card board box and fold the box closed. every three months open the jars for a short time. i have seeds from (19??) that i plant one seed of in hopes of one male plant to cross✌️

4 Likes

I keep my seeds in the tiny packages they come in and put them in rice in a mason jar. And wrap the jar in foil and put in the refrigerator. I always heard to store them in a dark cool dry place.

2 Likes

I just store mine in the original package in a drawer short term. Long term I use an air tight container and put them in the fridge.

2 Likes

@Beachgirl @MDBuds i’ve never fridged seeds. my wife just dug out the seed box as was airing seed jars and i dug out those old columbian red and also gold seeds. older than the hills, doubt they sprout. i dumped two in the buckets i just started. should they germinate and find thier way above ground. i’ll start a couple more right like

2 Likes

@DollarBill There are ways to germinate even old seeds that weren’t stored in dark and cold. Gotta sterilize the outside first then soak in an oxygenated sucrose/plant hormone solution. I use distilled water that’s been oxygenated with an air stone and a splash of liquid kelp and molasses.

4 Likes

@that’s cool i’ll write it down

1 Like

@DollarBill Wish I could give you the exact ratios I use but I don’t measure. Just eyeball the amount for half of a light feeding and soak them until they sink then I germinate as normal in soil or paper towels.

If I’m feel exceptionally fancy and sciencey I put them in sterilized peat or coco in a cup. :joy:

2 Likes

@MDBuds i haven’t grown a columbian seed in 12 years

1 Like

I keep mine in the freezer.

1 Like

Air tight container for me

1 Like

i do air tight jars and we love seeds as much as plants. i do not disturb my seeds in storage but every three months i do unscrew the jars over close to the refrigerated air conditioner vent for a minute is all :rofl: the weed bum way

1 Like

dang, one of two columbian seeds popped out of the soil :smiley: it’s on the left

5 Likes

OMG @DollarBill that’s phenomenal!! I sure do remember that strain from MANY decades ago!

As for storing seeds, I put them into vacuum sealed bags, then place into black film containers with a desiccant pack. I keep these in a drawer where the temp stays a consistent 60 degrees.

3 Likes

I’ve been keeping mine in the freezer in the small zips they came in. I have those zips in a medicine bottle. Is this a good way to store them?

1 Like

I keep mine in a dark place, like my closet. Not fridge, too much chance of condensation, not plastic, only glass jar, never with a desiccant (even rice) as it can pull the sugars and moister right through the hulls.
Any seed over 1 year old, like MDBuds - I add kelp / sugar for sprouting the seeds. I have saved seeds easily 5 years with no issues. A good seed is a good seed. Bad ones - they come with the bunch and no way to know until the time comes.

2 Likes