How do I know when I crossed over from Seedling to Veg stage?

First time grower. I currently have 2 Critical Orange Punch Autos growing in my tent. I like to try new things and figure stuff out, so one is in FF Ocean Forest, the other is in FF Happy Frog. The Happy Frog is developing slower than the Ocean Forest, but different amendments and all that etc… anyways, I am trying to make sure I do this right so everything comes out right so I have a good stash for when I retire in a few months. How do I know when I have crossed over from seedling to veg stage? Once I figure that out, how do I know when it is ok to start training? Lastly, there is a lot of information out there about topping, fimming, and LST. A lot of people say dont do anything more than LST on an Auto. I’m thinking of trying topping on one and fimming on the other. Any suggestions yay or nay to that? Thanks for reading and any future advice.

1 Like

It’s been said that when your seedlings have 4 sets of true leafs and the 5th appearing, they’ve entered the vegetative phase

Welcome to the forum @MJolley38 !

3 Likes

What would be considered a true leaf? Would any of these be true? Both of my ladies have been top side of the soil for almost 2 weeks now.

1 Like

they are all true leaves. The first set are the little leaves that look like tiny tongues. From there on , true leaves (3/5/6/7) leaves emerge with that distinct look
You are in veg mode from the minute you reach that 3rd node, sometimes 4th (depending on lights,action, etc)
Flowering starts: in auto - when ever it is ready. No matter how much light, it begins to get the pistils that show it is a fem fetal. Grape clusters if it is a boy.
In pheno - trigger flowering by reducing lights to 12 on / 12 off. Then you stay there
Pleanty of pics in this forum or online for what it looks like

2 Likes

The cotyledons are not considered true leafs.
Just the classic serrated leafs we all know and love …

1 Like

Thanks for all that info… I think I got the concept… what are your feelings on training autos?

1 Like

I sent these earlier - I trim auto’s at the start. When they start budding, I back off

Tan bag - topped and then leaves removed, Charcoal bag - fimmed at 3rd node when just a noodle

2 Likes

Man… those look great…