House starting to smell

I have 3x3 grow tent and I’m not using a inline fan or carbon filter. I currently just have a box fan blowing the air out of one of the vents. I was thinking about getting a carbon filter and inline fan to stop the smell but don’t want to have a window always open. Is there anyway I can do it without opening a window? Or any other tips to reduce the smell?

2 Likes

Inline fan / filter does not need to exhaust to outside world. Your filter either goes inside the tent and the air is exhausted through one of the holes in the tent using conduit that matches fan / filter. You could also place filter outside of tent and exhaust the air through the filter. The filter is what scrubs the air so the exhaust does not smell, as long as you get a decent fan / filter

6 Likes

@Mrb53004 thank you this helps a lot!

2 Likes

BTW, I just got this on Ebay. I offered $90 and then came back at $95

4 Likes

Mike, great post thanks

3 Likes

I’ve been using inline fans and carbon filters OUTSIDE of the tent but in my home. No smell that any visitors can detect. There is a very slight aroma in the grow room itself, but that may be due to the age of the filters (they’re going on 2 years now). Filters don’t last forever…

4 Likes

Bill, add covers…

2 Likes

All good info here. I use 6 inch carbon for my grow. I have it in a sealed room 4’x9’ it empty’s into my larger shop room in basement. The rest of the basement is nearly smell free. Hell my son’s bedroom is right next door. Inside the shop room there is a slight plant smell, I’m am an avid gardener as well. Inside my grow room now that’s a different story. It smells dank as fuck in there. Carbon filters are a wonder.

Good luck.

2 Likes

BTW, you can reactivate charcoal by exposing to sunlight for x days. Lamps should theoretically do the same thing

3 Likes

Thanks @Mrb53004. Already have them. Maybe it’s time to clean/replace them.

1 Like

I use a six inch carbon filter and I replace it every year and a half. And I’m sure you could get a little bit more out of it. I am in a place where you go to jail so I can justify the money. And if you are in the same position I am it’s going to keep you free. That’s a no brained for me. Have fun with it. And replace it in a year and a half and have a spare filter and inline fan. I call that belt and suspenders your pants are not going to fall off that way. And if there’s any smell you go to jail and if there’s a smell try a 8 inch filter fan combo. And never tell anyone about what you are doing. Stay safe stay smart. Have fun with it

1 Like

Corey set a 6-8 inch carbon filter and inline fan in the floor standing up so that the fan is pulling the air in and clean air out the top and the smell will be gone. And you can keep the windows closed. Stay safe and grow happy with Best Regards Robert.

2 Likes