Hougleculture will it work with cannabis?

I practice hougleculture for my gardening. Was just wondering if anyone has tried it with cannabis and how it worked for them. Just dont know if the high water retention and organic matter precentige will work with cannabis. I know it grows killer squash, tomatoes and melons.

2 Likes

@Jared do you mean hugelkultur? If so yes this will work for cannabis.

I use it for my compost and mulch that I use for growing my container plants as well as in my no till gardens.

1 Like

I don’t yet, but I have dreams and visions. :star_struck: Also, it’s part of my curriculum, it’s just not named hugelkultur and in this moment of time I can’t think of what it is, but I will come back and edit once I figure it out.

1 Like

Yes my spelling is really bad. I just did not know if it would keep the rootscto wet.

1 Like

Mound culture in German. Basically I dig a ditch and fill it with logs then cover it with topsoil.

1 Like

@Jared I was just double checking because that’s what it made me think of. Wasn’t sure if there was another horticultural method I wasn’t aware of or if it was the one I was thinking of. Lol

It won’t keep the roots too wet though if you cycle wet to dry and have proper aeration. Especially if being done out doors. I haven’t had a single issue using it with my outdoor plants.

2 Likes

Any particular kind of wood or it doesn’t matter?

1 Like

I use mostly hardwoods oak hickory and elm becuse thats mostly dies around here.

1 Like

I was just reading about fermented oak bark which adds the addition of silica, naturally, to the soil. It has a higher concentration than most so I’m very interested in how that works. I can see it now, I’ll have science projects everywhere one day.

1 Like

Does your version require a giant rug over the top? Mine does. I can’t imagine the cost of such a thing, even used.

I was reading about using hay bales as a base, too. Then building a frame around it with companion plants. :star_struck: :v: Exciting stuff.

Except now, I’d have to grow my own hay because I don’t know what you are putting in your hay over there and this is how it all starts. :grimacing: :roll_eyes: :flushed:

made this one last year 18 in deep ditch. Fill with logs. Layer logs and compost and topsoil up to about 3 ft tall then cover with dirt and mulch if you want. I usally just do a cover crop. Kale works really good as a chop and drop cover crop.

2 Likes

That is some nicely seasoned wood!! You should grow stinging nettles on top, then mow it down, cover it, and let it go. I bet that would be amazing. Of course, this is just in my head, I have no working experience.

I like using trees that have been dead a few years best. Just seems to me they work better and you can use to grow the first year.

1 Like

This is exciting to me. Thank you for sharing it.

I was raised in the middle of a stinging nettle patch. You could never get me to plant them :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

1 Like

You have to agree, they are a fantastic deterrant. Dr. Low Dog suggested we go ahead and get rose pruning gloves, mine arrived today. I thought I could sensitize myself. Ha!

Stinging Nettles: 10 KMac: -10 :rofl: :joy: :upside_down_face: :sob:

My plants are freakin’ in love with that bit of ferment I made though. Now I have to boil some up and drink the water. Do you know, I have a real hard time with slimy greens and the smell? Ugh.

1 Like