Has CBD ever worked for anyone?

I’ll have to admit, I am very scientific and skeptical so I am not very susceptible to suggestion.
I have a lot of injuries. Several major motorcycle accidents, 20 years skydiving with some brutal landings, and a 22 year military career with 2 combat tours.

I live with chronic shoulder pain from a torn rotator cuff and survive by getting hydrocortisone shots every 4 months.
We went to a CBD store and I explained my pain. The lady assured me the particular tincture would fix be up. It was an eye-dropper bottle selling for $160 USD. As my last shot of steroid had worn off, I bought the CBD and used it as directed. As best I can tell, it did absolutely nothing. My pain got progressively worse as I was moving further away from my last shot.
Now, I must admit the the THC side does work.

Does anyone really benefit from CBD?

It’s Easier to Fool People Than to Convince Them That They Have Been Fooled
Mark Twain

The biggest problem with cbd is, there’s no thc in it…I have tried alot of different cbd products with no noticeable effects good or bad, luckily my son does online marketing for a cbd company, so i get to try stuff for free, Im sure it does something for some people & some ailments, personally its not for me…

2 Likes

CBD…the oils, tinctures and even gummies they sell in the dispensaries have NEVER done anything as far as pain goes…FOR ME. They do provide the slightest bit of anxiety releif…I have a son on the spectrum and we used to give him cbd oil…years ago, when it was real stuff, not snake oil on a bottle.
I have grown CBD strains…15;1 and 20:1…not from this site) …did not even smell like weed but did more for pain relief than any canna product I have ever tried…unless blotto by a couch lock indica which basically just kicked my butt.
Dr Seedsman (30:1), Red Pure (20:1)

4 Likes

I was planning to grow a CBD strain- for my dog. He gets seizures occasionally and we heard it can be used to treat them. It doesn’t seem to be any more or less effective than the pills, but it’s easier to medicate him with the CBD cause he can eat around the tiniest little crushed up pill pieces.

It doesn’t do anything for me really. I tried some of that Delta 8 weed that was a fad for a little while. The one jar I had was the diesel-y-est sour diesel I have tasted. That’s about all I got from it.

2 Likes

I was really impressed with the Red Pure…very different looking flowers (RED…more pink actually) but we (my, wifey, buddy) were all blown away by the effectiveness…and pretty much no high to talk about. The body buzz was so relieving…anxiety, depression (my wife and friend)…PAIN…lasted about 30-45min…They smoked a thc (daytime) on top of it and got the best of both worlds. My wife somehow is a ZEN master at smoking A & B & C to attain a particular result to deal with her chronic and invisible illnesses

5 Likes

Thanks for all of the comments. I was sure I would be treated as an “anti-CBD” troll but you guys gave honest and thoughtful replies.
I’m open minded but not wide open. In all actuality, I wish all these “cures” were real. I’d never have to die! LOL

2 Likes

@SlingShot CBD has many benefits. THC also has many benefits. I’ve tried the CBD only tinctures, the gummies, the lotions, the vape pens, and also the CBD flower. I’ve also tried combinations of CBD and THC in all of those forms. For me, the one that seemed to have the most beneficial effect was smoking the CBD/THC flower. Our bodies react differently to the different ways you can administer the CBD and the effects of the CBD will most certainly be different for each individual person. Out of all the different strains I’ve smoked, I find the ones that helped with chronic pain were the THC/CBD strains (either 2/1 or 1/1) with a hefty terpene profile. Grand Daddy Purple and White Widow have always been my go to strains for pain relief.

In addition to having both THC and CBD, the thousands of different combinations of terpenes that cannabis can have will also have some effect on the way you feel. All of these components working together create an “entourage effect”. I fully believe that when you allow them to work together (instead of isolating them and removing them from the plant) you allow each component to work to its full potential.

I’ve included this link to a company who studies cannabis, along with many other plants and plant properties. They have decades of research, laboratory experiments, and studies on monoterpenes, sequiterpenes, diterpenes, flavinoids, phenols, and cannabinoids, including effects and medicinal values of each. They’ve only scratched the surface of what this plant is capable of treating and how it can help us.

I guess im just trying to say don’t give up on the CBD. Trial and error is the only way you can find the strains, and how to administer them, that works well for you.

Final thought, homegrown always gets you more stoned lol happy growing

1 Like

What Conditions Can CBD Treat or Cure?

CBD has a very long history as a treatment for those suffering from intense chronic pain. In particular, it is valuable for patients who cannot benefit from traditional medications as a result of damaged organs or a compromised immune system.

Doctors have been prescribing CBD for patients with advanced cancer or AIDS for many years. CBD can be helpful in reducing pain related to anti-cancer treatments such as chemotherapy. It may also temporarily improve or restore patients’ appetite.

More recently, CBD has been shown to have powerful effects on some patients suffering from seizure disorders. CBD-based treatments have been accepted as highly safe and effective for some younger patients whose epilepsy is resistant to conventional treatment.

The positive effects of CBD on individuals with other conditions is also being studied. These studies include psoriasis, multiple sclerosis, Parkinson’s disease, and as a potential treatment to preventing cancer cell growth.

What Research Currently Exists Around CBD?

Because CBD has only recently entered the medical mainstream, there are still many unanswered questions to be explored. Early research focused on the role of cannabinoid receptors in the brain in perceiving and processing CBD, as well as its effect on the brain’s production of dopamine.

Over the last few years, doctors have launched small-scale CBD studies and CBD clinical trials to find other potential uses for the compound. CBD is gaining notoriety as a potential treatment for a variety of mood disorders, especially generalized anxiety. It may even help PTSD sufferers.

Naturally, there is still much to learn about CBD. No long-term (“longitudinal”) study has shown the effects of CBD on brain structure or quality of life. It will be some time before a large enough patient community exists for a multi-decade CBD clinical study to be completed.

I did a little research on my own. I am strongly akin to identifying double-speak. For years, I did patent applications research in my business.

The above is double-speak:
“CBD has a very long history as a treatment for those suffering from intense chronic pain.”
“No long-term (“longitudinal”) study has shown the effects of CBD on brain structure or quality of life. It will be some time before a large enough patient community exists for a multi-decade CBD clinical study to be completed.”

It is not a matter of “giving up” as you say. It is much like the Christians that claim you must have faith and when I ask for a definition of “faith” I am told it is belief without evidence!! Why would anyone believe anything without evidence?

I am reasonably open to any new knowledge. But you have to offer me something more than “just believe”. Makes for a good bumper sticker but just doesn’t butter the biscuit.

1 Like

My mother swears by her CBD gummies. And i’d prefer those instead of pain pills ,dont do much for me unless i eat a whole jar of em,but i bought a couple CBD joints and it hits me like vicodin. I wanna try growing out a CBD strain next.

I think it comes down to the person who’s taking them. What works for you,might not work for me. See what im sayin?

1 Like

I’m sticking with the tried and true. THC
There have been times where I could have amputated my own leg. Now that is pain relief. LOL

2 Likes

@SlingShot the thing about cbd is that it degrades much faster than thc so anything store bought check the date. If it isn’t within 30 days of the manufacturing date it isn’t close to as potent as what it says on the label and they are often mislabeled to begin with. Most studies show that the estimated dosage in many of the consumer cbd products is grossly overestimated and nowhere near the amounts claimed. So don’t discount cbd because you bought a bad batch from the store. The FDA is working on creating stricter regulations so people aren’t being mislead by companies trying to take advantage of people looking for therapeutic relief.

Another thing to look at is how people metabolize cbd and the delivery method. Smoking cbd is more effective as more cbd stays viable vs eating it but the effects don’t last as long. Edibles on the other hand have longer lasting effects but they need to be made with a higher amount or cbd to account for the 30%+ that is lost in the stomach and during first pass liver metabolism. This can be reduced by using sunflower lecithin in making home made cbd oils as sunflower lecithin increases bioavailability of cannabinoids by protecting them and keeping more viable for first pass liver metabolism and also by aiding the liver in processing the cannabinoids so less are wasted by the body.

Another big thing to take into account is the health of your liver. If your liver has trouble processing fats or other things or if you have liver damage it can effect the way you metabolize cbd and cbd can potentially cause more liver damage in high doses if your liver is already unhealthy or if excessive amounts are taken.

With all this being said cbd can be an extremely effective medicine for combating neuropathic pain. Your best bet is to make home made tinctures or edibles so the cbd is “fresh” and more bioavailable cannabinoids remain.

Based on what you said about your injuries though it sounds like you have combination nociceptive and neuropathic pain. Cbd will help with the neuropathic pain and inflammation but the nociceptive pain will require some thc as well. The proper terpene profile will also make a huge difference.

I’d personally do a 1-1 or a 2-1 thc-cbd ratio to treat your nociceptive and neuropathic pain from injuries. I’d also look into cultivars high in caryophylene, myrcene, linalool, and other pain/inflammation busting terpenes that work with thc and cbd.

8 Likes

I personally think it just has a placebo effect, if any. JMHO, yours may vary.

2 Likes

@everyone I forgot to mention that thc tolerance directly effects the efficacy of cbd treatment.

CBD binds with CB1 receptors just like THC but more gently and doesn’t cause them to down regulate. THC on the other hand has a stronger bond and will cause CB1 receptors to down regulate.

Down regulating pretty much means they shrink away or hide when over stimulated. Over stimulation of CB1 receptors can occur when THC is used frequently in high volumes.

With this all said we all should know by now that the more healthy active receptors we have the more effective a medicine will be.

Often times in order for CBD to be effective we need to cut back on THC for a bit so that CB1 receptors can heal and stop down regulating so that the CBD has more receptors to bind to and interact with.

5 Likes

I did not know that they used the same receptors in the brain. I thought they had different receptors, thc and cbd. That is good to know, especially with dosing. Specifically for someone fighting a medical condition and not just feeling irie.

MDbuds, would you suggest someone focusing on the cbd for a treatment down the thc levels then.? Like thc every other day rather than a daily blend with the cbd? I give my extracts to a lot of sick people so I find this very relevant. I do a few high cbd strains for a neighbor that had masses surgically removed from her brain stem. And a few other cancer patients. Anyway, I usually do a 1:1 blend at extraction with same mass of whole raw plant. Would I be better to not blend them so I can have a all cbd oil too? It would be easy to do.

I wonder if thc saturation is why so many felt cbd was not helpful for them dosed alone.? My mind is racing now…

Hey, the raw plant at the end to get thca, cbda, and the terp burp boost has been working great. Thanks for the tips there MDbuds.

Totally off topic (more a story) but I also have a client (patient?) with terrible type2 diabetes. He first started using my extract for neck and back pain (retired old school pipe fitter). He is in his late 60s. Anyway, he found it is a miracle for his lower leg neuropathy. He has to walk with 2 canes very carefully. 1 hour after canaoil he can walk without his canes and feel his feet. He had been tied to his canes for about 10years before the canaoil.

Also, my lil sis got type 1 diabetes at age 3. Insulin shots twice a day her whole life. We noticed her blood sugar would have less peaks and valleys and stay in a narrow range when older she started using cannabis. With the modern insulin pumps computer tracking blood sugar to the minute, this trend continues. She uses about half the volume of insulin in her body when she also uses cannabis regularly. I guess what I am saying with these 2 stories is: I bet cannabis helps more with blood sugar regulation than any one officially treating these ailments knows. I was just surprised how much it helped people in my life. The pipe fitter was anti cannabis before I installed his fish tank. He used to just pop opiate pills like candy. He says now no more pills unless he runs out of oil. Sorry for the off topic ramble.

3 Likes

@Noddykitty I would suggest taking a thc “tolerance break” when medicine starts becoming ineffective.

Dosing with a 1-1 is great or even alternating as you suggested but sometimes you will need to reset your ecs so both cbd and thc can become more effective again. Just cut out thc for a few days to a few weeks but you can still dose with cbd because it doesn’t cause CB1 receptors to down regulate.

THC, THCV, CBD, limonene, and myrcene have actually all been looked into as a potential therapeutic treatment for diabetes. I don’t recall the exact methods but I have my literature somewhere. I do recall though that myrcene specifically increases the body’s insulin sensitivity allowing sugars to be metabolized which is why it’s a potential treatment for diabetes. It’s also why high myrcene strains make you so damn hungry.

4 Likes

@Noddykitty here’s my rundown about CBD and thc tolerance from another topic.

2 Likes

Before my father-in-law passed 3 years ago, he was diagnosed with cancer (pancreatic? can’t remember!). He was like 91, old-school Scot who loved his scotch but I could never admit to the family that I was a cannabis enthusiast. Doctors just kept giving him opiates for pain. He eventually asked what I thought about marijuana for pain relieve as it was now legal in Canada for recreation and was splashed all over the news. “Well, yeah I have friends…”.
Managed to get a gram of CDB 99% pure crystals from one of them, put about a peppercorn’s worth under the tongue in the morning, helped with his pain and appetite. Went with him on his next visit (he couldn’t drive, barely walk, but was still a stubborn old fart!) and the doc was talking pain management. More opiates which were messy with his appetite. I outright asked him what he thought of cannabis. Ended up with a prescription for some of the Tilray 10-10 drops (10mg THC and 10mg CBD).
Using their dosages, it helped a bit. Got him to double it, and that really helped with his pain and appetite. And mood! He hated the taste of his “Hippy juice” as he called it, but I believe he really felt the effects and the benefits.
I did come clean and told him I’d been using for 40 years before he passed about 5 months later. And yes, I made sure I got the near empty bottle and the full one that just arrived for my back pain!

4 Likes

I view CBD as a multi vitamin. It’s best to have it build up in your system. It takes time to get your endo cannabinoid system in balance.

4 Likes

cbd is good for stress. which was the reason I smoked it back in the late 80s, smoked everyday from sun up too sun down, quit for 17 yrs. & now it’s legal & able to grow my own

@SlingShot Hey Sling, you know I gotta put in my 2 cents. Last year I grew some Blue Dream Auto from another seed provider claiming 2%CBD and 20% THC. Since starting each day with that as my "wake and bake ",I have discontinued the 1-4 Alleve I had been taking since my back surgery in2010.

2 Likes