Harvest help outdoor grow

I grew this plant from a random bag seed its getting cold in western PA so im wondering what to do about this top bud that clearly isn’t done budding yet

I have photos of the rest of the plant

This is a bottom bud this plant is shrubby & loaded with a huge amount of buds so help me before I ruin it

2 Likes

You have a nice plant there. I am seeing some amber and you are probably pretty safe to harvest.
But, if you want to keep it in the dirt and fear an early frost, there are some pretty simple pop-up “green-houses” that you just pop open and sit over the plant. They are basically clear plastic bags with a wire frame.
I think mine was about $26.

BTW - I grew up in a small town in central PA. Actually Centre county.

1 Like

Thanks for the consultation…
I was also thinking its ok to harvest the lower bud that top one just isn’t fully formed so im thinking of trimming the finished bud & just leaving the top there to finish.
That way if a sudden frost hits I won’t loose the rest .
I think if I leave it all the lower buds will start to deteriorate the thc. Or rot its very wet but I’m new to growing this is my 3rd outdoor plant.
Im the winner of the 10 blue cookie feminized seeds from the homegrown contest to
So ill have to post pics of my contest winnings as I grow them.
The seeds arrived so late that I just started 1 in a pot that I just brought indoors.
I have no set up for indoor growing so i transplanted it into a 3 gallon pot & have it under a few LEDS that I use for starting veggies.
Next year ill sprout 3 of them indoors to finish in my yard but I have to be very stealthy here.

I plan to put together a better set up but I noticed the plant going into shock so I just dragged her indoors.
She is just starting to flower I hope I can make her happy enough indoors to finish budding.

1 Like

I’ve got 2 purple kush autos outside in 3 gallon pots , I’m leaving them out until the end of October . They have a couple 30 degree nights coming at them , if they were nice like your plant is I’d be worried . But they aren’t so outside they’ll stay. I’m in CNY south of Syracuse in the mountains , it’s been a bad year for outdoor growing.

1 Like

Well she is harvested I went to just remove the bottom colas & accidentally cut the main stem.
You’re right the bud is fine my husband picked a few teeny ones dried them & sampled

We all got high so im sure what’s hanging in my cellar is going to be good

Its fruity skunky unknown bud but we aren’t picky.
In this economy free is a plus.
I cut right on time I found baby slugs attacking.

1 Like

Plants are most vulnerable as they ripen. Nature is getting ready to recycle them.
But most of the good stuff is already there so you are safe to harvest.

BTW- I had mold form on one of my plants last year.
After I chopped it, I mixed a quarter cup of HNO3 with a gallon of water and dipped the stems into it. I swished it lightly, not wanting to wash off the trikes and let is hang to dry.
It worked very well and later smoked perfectly after cute.

1 Like

Here is my harvest the basement was overly dry so after 4 days we jarred it up.
It weighed almost 8 oz wet not bad considering idk what I m doing & just planted a bag seed.

2 Likes

Looks tasty . I think they say if you take 3/4 of the wet weight away that’s roughly what you’ll end up with after drying and curing.

1 Like

One thing you may want to consider is using smaller wide mouth mason jars . I’ve watched 2 Utube videos , one with Kyle saying they’ve gone to using smaller jars for curing . They say if anything goes wrong in a bigger jar you could lose the whole big jar , losing a small jar hurts half as much . I’ve used old pickle jars or jelly jars but after awhile found out they really don’t seal that well .

2 Likes

That’s funny because I had this in 5 small pickle jars that I use to make jelly.
My husband moved it into the 2 bigger jars thinking the more airflow would be safer.
Ill tell him switch them back.
This is super sticky bud Im glad I found the seed.
Now I have 1 blue cookie in my basement under a 1200 watt equivalent LED grow light its just starting to flower & stretch in height.

I’ve never flowered one indoors & my cellar is not ideal but ill try to make it work.
these are seeds I won in the homegrown cannabis Co giveaway this summer.
I knew it wouldn’t finish outdoors but ill learn as I go.
I still have 9 free blue cookie seeds so if I mess up I can always start them indoors & let nature grow them next summer.

1 Like

It looks really tasty have you tried it yet ? I do a lot of reading and watch a lot of grow videos on utube . Kyle’s podcast is good as are Mr Grow It and Build a Soil the last two mostly deal with indoor photos . On one of Kyle’s show I think they mentioned something about 1 for 6 meaning for a 600 watt you have the potential to grow a 1 lb plant . 1200 is a lot of light lol. All 3 shows have excellent drying and curing segments.

1 Like

Yes we have been trying it because not even fully cured & its already better than what we can purchase.
My math says ill end up with around a quarter lb once its dried (if we dont sample too much.)
I don’t know if that’s good or not by growing standards but for me its a celebration.

I doubt that light is really 1200 watt (the Chinese make a lot of questionable claims on amazon) but its really bright
I can’t even look at it when its on Im afraid it will damage eyes.
The price was right on it as my former LED that was a screw in bulb started burning out & falling apart & I knew it wasn’t enough light to make a fully grown plant produce buds.

We will see how the new light works in a month or so I guess.
I have a blue cookie plant from those contest seeds I won here happily growing in my cellar now.
I m going to have to section off a space with plastic. I don’t know the relative humidity but I know its so dry in my cellar that I once lost a potato
when I found it the potato was like a potato chip fully dried even the center.
So I would guess my humidity is not ideal.
I’ve been spraying the plant a few times a day

I do plan to section off a smaller space as I can’t control the humidity of my whole cellar but a smaller space I keep more humid.

I’ve only grown 1 plant per year outside & never indoors but i think after reading all these helpful posts that I have a good idea what to do now

I agree 1/4 lb is worth celebrating, especially seeing as you’re enjoying it. What’s the brand name on your light , I’m running a Mars hydro sp3000 and a Mars hydro 4800 . If you knock the last zero off that’s the wattage they put out . Could be the same for your 1200 it could be a 120 watt bulb , it would probably be enough light for a 3x3x5 grow area. From what I’ve read a photo needs complete darkness during the lights off period. Instead of plastic how about a tarp , I’m pretty sure the brown tarps having a silver backing much light a grow tent . You can fill buckets with water to help the humidity or you could use milk jugs and stuff a sock in it but let some hang out as a wick. Once you build your area you can also just spritz the walls to help. My Bruce Banner autos start their 10 week on Monday , they’re looking pretty good but I think they take another week or two after that. I’m guessing I’ll end up with about 5 oz off 4 plants. It’s kind of on the not that so great side of the scale but it could be worse .

1 Like

You know about the alleged total darkness the seeds need to flower its not really true.
Every year for the past 3 years I’ve grown 1plant in my tiny inner city back yard.
My yard is lit up by a giant street light & so far all 3 plants budded just fine.
Good idea about spraying the walls down with water I’ve taped up some plastic sheeting to hold in the moisture & have been spraying the plant.
Im on a tight budget but my next purchase maybe a hygrometer.
For next year ill also upgrade to at least a 5 gallon grow bag or bucket…i feel I need more soil 3 gallons just really isn’t ideal but for this one time I need to work with what’s free.

Week 2 of curing
I named it “bird turd” because I planted her under my bird feeder

Your harvest looks 1000 times better than my first. Congregations.

You done good. Now go and sin more!

1 Like

I have one blue cookie feminized seed that’s flowering now
Its at the point where the white hairs are lengthening.
Im not even sure where its at in weeks because the seed didn’t grow & almost died we were going to toss it out then suddenly it started getting normal so i reported it & bought a “burple” grow light on amazon for $70
Its doing great considering I never grew indoor plants just let nature grow them for me.
In Southwestern PA its freezing at night now so i bought that little light & timer to give this blue cookie seed a chance.
After all those seeds cost $10 each & I was very lucky to win them.
Thanks a lot for your help.
Ill take pics of the blue cookie maybe someone will tell me how close I am to harvest but I m guessing the buds look 5 weeks along so maybe another month ill be harvesting again.
May as well keep it going now I’ve already bought the light & have 9 more free seeds.