Growing Outdoors in the Desert Successfully🏜

Hello fellow Homegrower’s :wave: my name is Phillip and I’d like to start a new discussion about growing outdoors in the :desert:. I’m currently in the process of trying to accomplish my first somewhat, successful outdoor grow in this blistering inferno that I proudly call :house_with_garden:. So far on this journey, I have learned a lot about growing cannabis in temperatures 100+. I also realize that I have a lot more to learn. So without any further ado, I’m inviting any and everyone to join alongside me on this quest to learn about growing cannabis in the desert. Please feel free to share any knowledge or experience that you might have, I would greatly appreciate it! God bless you and our beautiful country :point_up::raised_hands::v::us::100:

3 Likes

@Philly111 The first step is genetics. Find a strain bred from landraces or heirloom strains that were developed in extreme climates with ranges of extreme temperatures and low humidity.

Second, start breeding for your climate. Just give them water and some nutes and nothing else. Breed the ones that survive with little care.

I would start with strains high in mycrene and anthocyanin. Mycrene is pretty much the mother monoterpine and it helps build and produce the other terpines. Anthocyanin is a pigment that plants produce as a response to heat stress and high uv light to protect the plant. A lot of indicas and new auto strains bred with ruderalis are high in both.

Hope this helps. Hapoy growing. :v::metal::call_me_hand:

4 Likes

Welcome MDBUDS, thank you so much for your input. I agree :100: it has to start with genetics and go from there. You’re also going to need a shade cloth/net for when temps. get over 95-100 :fire: which is pretty much everyday for about 5 months out here in the Mojave desert. :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Man the heat is one thing, but the temperature swing from night to day, especially during the late season, that’s a whole different beast. Probably gonna want either a early or fast flower to hedge against early frost/freezes.

And pest control will be interesting to say the least, anything green is like a beacon to insects in the desert.

This will be an interesting ride.

3 Likes

You’re telling me man, but so far so good. Don’t really get frosts where I’m at so good there but another element you have to beware of is the high winds. :heavy_check_mark:

3 Likes

So @MDBuds is 100% correct. The first thing I did was start to research strains that do well in desert or high heat low humidity climates. The infamous landrace from South Africa known as Durban Poison; that was first brought back to the :us: in the 70’s by none other than Ed Rosenthal (Thank you Sir), was on the top of that list. https://greenrushdaily.com/cultivation/10-best-weed-strains-grow-dry-climates. (BTW this is not the original list that I googled, the original had Sour Diesel also)

4 Likes

I also am a desert grower, Las Vegas. Had a blazing August with temps 114-117 for over two weeks. It baked my plants. I grow in both garden (raised bed) and pots (40-50liter). My potted ones fried. I never took into account the color of the pot, dark pots absorb heat.I will be painting white. I also will be using a layer of mulch between the pot and the medium. WonderWoman in a pot like that and she made it through the blister. Funny thing, the genetically chose preferred to grow in the heat all died so not to keen on genetics but can’t be oblivious to it.
Nutes. That was the biggest #2 factor. #3 watering, I also could not wait for soil to dry in between watering. WW, watered a few times a day, she survived very well and is in a good flower stage now. This is my second season outdoor desert grow. I learned alot…shading, watering, feeding and NUTES!
If you have any insights, strains, favorites…reach out

2 Likes

Hi, I too live in the high desert of SoCial and although I have professional experience with plant materials and germinating seeds, for the life of me I have been unable to get my seeds to germinate successfully. If they do germinate, they die off within a day or two after transplanting. What happened to the easy propagation in the backyard back in the 70’s & 80’'s? Nothing special, just throw some seeds on the ground, lightly cover with soil, water, and in a few months you had some nice plants. Sigh…

I plan on growing in my shade house, which is an open-air greenhouse (lath cover instead of plastic or fiberglass). Requires covering tropicals, citrus and succulents when nighttime temps drop below freezing or hard frost advisories, but if I can get some plants growing they should do great in there. I appreciate your comments on varieties that should be more suitable for the high desert hot summers and cold winter nights, and I’ll follow your comments. Thanks

1 Like

My new method for germinating. Peroxide soak 24 hrs or until seed sinks. Rinse seed. Paper towel folded, then coffee filter (non bleached). Seed goes into coffee filters, paper towel is for water (bottled / distilled preferred). Air and light proof container, 75-85 f degrees and within 24 hrs my seeds are popping. I let them go till 3/4 inch long minimum and place into peat pellets (42mm amazon https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IFYVJJY/?coliid=I20QTUFKI3CAAR&colid=3HL2T1HKDKZF9&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it). no nutes till 3 levels of leaves. This I do under lights. Then I transplant to degradable (3.5 peat pots with coco, perlite, vermiculte strata) container when roots start to show on 42mm peat pellets (plant is usually 1-2 inch tall, second set of leaves). I move outside at night. I discard paper towel and coffee filters after 2 weeks, bacteria grows and will kill emerging seedlings. Bad seeds will also fail after sprouting and BEFORE planting. Give a little more info to better determine what is going on.
In the late 60’s and early 70’s…I threw seeds on the ground, no more…they are too expensive now!

1 Like

Welcome @Mrb53004 so glad you shared with us, thank you. I lost some plants too, all of my Sour Diesel :persevere: All I have now are my Cherrygasm. I got a late start and had issues with water ph so they are small, but man they sure do smell good :drooling_face::drooling_face::drooling_face:

2 Likes

Welcome to the discussion @reikihealer and thank you for sharing with us. I would suggest anything that comes in a fast version, shortest flowering time possible. Here’s a link for Homegrown Seed Co, use the filters to find the best fit for your growing needs. There’s also a great description for each strain as far as flowering time, effects, flavors, scents too much to list! Might I recommend the Bruce Banner Fast Version (they’re on sale right now too buy 1 get 1 FREE). Hope this helps, be blessed. :v::sunglasses:
Hi! Use homegrowncannabisco.com/?ref=bb-8zr4b4 when ordering from Homegrown Cannabis Co!

1 Like

I have 1 seed left from a pack of 3. Bruce was one of the few packs where the seeds sprouted and died. That along with an Orange sherbet. My seed co replaced the sherbet but i never complained about the bruce seeds. I will try again after winter solstice. Thanks
Right now I am on 3wk old Gorilla girl auto, cbd red auto, 30:1 cbd auto and white widow auto. I have gg#4 auto seeds on the way and do not want to $$ any more till I at least reap my crop

1 Like

@Mrb53004 i enjoy growing indoors and outdoors same year same seeds. you can tell the difference in Taste but the kick is the same. Good Outdoor weed is a Good Dream. there was no reason to make Marijuana illegal in the first place.

1 Like

the last three days i been riding the pony i suppose back behind our place 3/4 of a mile. it’s that time of year when the city people go looking for free weed to pick. some they planted, some burns in the fires every year wild. if i don’t find any wild weed back there i’m pretty sure we didn’t get cross pollinated and can even keep a few outdoor seeds on a good luck outdoor year. this year my wife put her Hindu over Gorilla Glue outdoor. she loves her plants and garden. the Kief and Sugar Wax from that outdoor grow is Amazing!!

3 Likes

whats up friends :v: check this indoor grown HGCC Mochalope Regular :laughing: i can tell you this, 16 of these seeds go a long way in Moon Rocks, wife and i even set a couple for Hybrid breeders this spring

1 Like