Grow light setting for autoflower

Help a smoker out…I’m a newb at this. So bare with me… Is it best to use both veg and bloom lights for autoflower or should I use just veg until plant begins to flower then use both lights? Any help would be totes magotes

Welcome!
Everyone is a noob. But you can pick and chose what advice you take. Less is always more with weed.
As far as the lighting, people do both ways. When I had a light with a veg and bloom switch I tried both ways. Don’t really see a ton of difference in quality or yield. If anything, running them separate may give you a little extra veg time. But autos flower when they want, so I suggest trying a run separate and another run with both and see if you can even tell.
I have sense gotten rid of any lights with separate switches and I use dimmers. I had a kingled 1000 and hated it. Replaced with ac infinity ion board and mars hydro ts2000. Absolutely love both of them.
You can always go the easiest way and just have both switches flipped while making sure your light is at the correct height.

Happy growing :fire::fire:

1 Like

@Jonesy420 i hope you’re doing well!

I may be completely wrong about this and if I am someone please chime in and correct me :rofl: but I believe that both veg and bloom switches operate different light spectrums? One with more blue and one with more red diodes? I would think you’d want your auto receiving the full spectrum of light available unless you are in the seedling stage and maybe need a little more blue to promote plant growth.

But I also agree with @Snowyroads in what he’s said

:fist_right:t2: :fist_left:t2:

Try the veg swith for 2 weeks then both for the rest. Or just both from the start. K. I. S. S.

If your are mimicking natural light from the sun… Or in an outdoor environment… The spectrum and intensity change due to the position of the sun… It’s getting further away everyday.

The natural spectrum of the sun each day varies from sunrise to sunset but those changes are consistent each day (minus other conditions like clouds). The light starts and ends farther away which impacts the spectrum and the intensity. Generally originating and ending with hues appearing more red while the mid day would seem brighter and whiter with higher intensity (closer to you).

Although it would be very difficult to change the distance every hour, you can mimic this through intensity and spectrum. My lights have a gradual change in intensity and spectrum every 1 to 1.5 hrs to mimic the pattern of the sun the best that I can and I can do this without having to dim the overall intensity for most of the day like with a light that only has a dimmer.

So naturally, the spectrum in the fall is is ever slightly changing due to the position of the sun. So Naturally your spectrum should adjust from summer to fall when flowering. Do you need to do this to grow good weed? nope, because lights are full spectrum now. It just how much do you want to dial it in.

1 Like

Appreciate the info. I am doing a little bit of both. I have one with both on and one with only veg. See if there is any difference. Also going to try a third with veg for a few weeks and then switch. Lets see what happens!!

Thanks for the help! Communities are sweet. Have a great smoke day to you all.

I love experiments and documenting every day. That’s great what you are doing I’d be interested to see your results.
Try one veg one bloom and one with two settings. Then in flower try the same with bloom swith, both and 2 settings (bloom to both).
Many more variables too. Strain, pheno, nutes, environment, light intensity (edges as opposed to directly under) etc. I suppose for an accurate test they would be clones from same plant.

Sorry just saw its autos you are running . Can’t clone them.

If you have any updates ect it would be great to hear about! :ok_hand:t2:

From my experience… I think they do better with R/W only and then moving them under full spectrum R/W/B as they start to stretch.

I do tinker with my lights a bit but the rest of my grow is a pretty simple water only cycle. I’ve found the most benefit in bloom with the adjustability to mimic nature as close as possible.

Just depends on what your lights are capable of… then experiment a little.