Green House Grow in Alaska

I will be growing Bruce Banner this year inside an outside greenhouse. How do I go into the flower stage when Alaska has almost 24 hrs. Of daylight?

3 Likes

Welcome GarBar

Grow AUTOFLOWERS…they flower based on time, not amount of light.
Otherwise you need to build what I call “blackout” boxes. I move from tent to outdoor in the spring and will have some plants that HAVE TO FLOWER before we hit HOT season. I live in the desert and we easily reach 115f+ temps…it’s a killer. I use cardboard and make a cover that can CLOSE, with a lid, over the plant. I cut sunlight off at 12-14 hours. Sunup around 5-6 am, 6-7 pm COVER…9-10 pm uncover. They need to breathe so the 3-4 hours of being covered does not raise rh to the point that mold becomes an issue. Just a recommendation…

3 Likes

@GarBar get a light deprivation or blackout system.

They have different styles from shutters and motors with timers to just a basic curtain/pull shade style that you manually open and close each day.

A good light deprivation or blackout system will work just fine to bring your ladies to flower in Alaska.

1 Like

On the cheap -----Buy large / tall Wardrobe boxes. Use metal tape to block any light seepage. The tops flip open…turn them upside down over the plant and you have a <$20 fix
You can even slice one side and make it like a closet, a little Velcro for a latch and slide it to the plant, close the side…
You haven’t told us what type of greenhouse you have…Is it clear?

1 Like

Wow, how awesome wld it be to let that girl grow through Alaska super long daylight period? How big wld that girl get!? But I suppose flowering a plant that big without the sun wld be difficult and expensive lol

2 Likes

This is where RUDERALIS came from…It is why we have auto flowering species
I have seen plants more than 15’ tall. Trimming was a b_tch. Stuff that large is too hard to handle. Original Mexican strain (50 years ago) grew like that. It was why it only cost $80 a KILO!

2 Likes

Yea I did some research on autos b4 I ordered my first auto seeds, some interesting information for sure, but jeez man how was the smoke? And how expensive was the feeding? I know my indoor grows can be a headache at times, I just have so many questions about what’s involved with a plant that size!

It was OUTDOOR growing and mother nature did all the feeding. We did not have all this data 50 years ago, we just threw seeds on the ground and harvested…
I remember planting an Acapulco Gold seed on a dog burial site. I stopped measuring at the 15’ level
We did not know how to cure like today. Compared to back then, this was top shelf. We hung them or draped them over a rack…they probably had mold. We sold it shake, stems and all. It was harsh but got you real high. There were only like 3/4 strains when this all started. Thai stick (the rarest and most $), Acapulco Gold, Panamanian Red and Mexican garbage. Alternate were hash/hash oil…Blond Lebanese and Gold Oil. We would mix gold, red and mexican and call it Rainbow…

3 Likes

Well I can validate that information. I bought acapolco gold in 1965. But I ran across rainbow once in a while. In the 70’s I could get kilos of columbian gold bud. The nugs were about the size of a silver dollar and it was pretty righteous. Thanks for the flashback

1 Like

Thanks good idea. I like the idea of blinds. It’s a green green house from Walmart. I will google blackout systems. :bear: Appreciate your advice.

2 Likes

Yeah I sold pounds for $100.00. And deseeding your stash was the first thing you did. It was always fun to see how long a plant that sprouted in the floorboard would stay alive.

2 Likes

That is simply amazing sir! I wasn’t thinking about the progress of information and enthusiasm being relatively new, lol I’m in my 30’s n I can say from my teenage years to now there is a HUGE difference in the average smoke u can find, and of course it was rare to find a seedless sack lol

1 Like