Grape smell strain

I know this is a shot in the dark, but I have to give it a try. Back in the 80’s I grew some pot that smelled just like grapes! I grew it upstairs in a bedroom, but as soon as someone would enter the downstairs front door, they could smell a nice sweet grape smell.

I had a basic set-up, just wide spectrum fluorescent bulbs. I had sheets of commercial grade wallpaper (54” wide) hung backwards so the white backing faced the grow area. (I had a wallpaper installation company at the time). The seeds came out of a bag I had purchased. Very basic…but the smoke that I grew was delicious! I don’t recall if it was sativa or indica…but the taste, the smell, the buzz was awesome! Any idea on what strain would be similar?

Thank you for any ideas :slight_smile:

1 Like

I know someone in here was talking about a grape smelling strain, but I’m scattered all over the place this morning. I’m sure someone else will be responding soon with more knowledge. I just didn’t want to ignore this as I, too, am interested now.

1 Like

@Kris

It sounds to me like you have the enjoyable task of tracking that down by buying and smoking anything that has ‘Grape’ in the name.

For research, of course. :expressionless:

Hopefully, someone can point you in the right direction to find your long lost love. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

CaptainZ

2 Likes

Do you remember Grape Ape? It had a grape odor. Sorry but it is the only one I can think of and I had to open a few boxes that were packed away (in my brain,brain storage…Sometimes they sell off the contents if I do not pay the monthly fees :crazy_face:)

5 Likes

Thank you for responding. I sure hope to find it again because the smell alone was amazing…but the high was also great :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks Jim! If I had the $$$ and the grow room, I would love to give them all a try…but alas…I don’t :). It was quite a treat.

2 Likes

LOL Mike…back then I never really paid any attention to the names. Back then in Michigan, Acapulco gold and Colombian Red are about the only names I remember that was different from the usual Mexican weed.

I’m not familiar with Grape Ape. But then I don’t know the name of what it was that I grew. Oh woah is me! Thank you for the suggestion though…I’ll have to do some research on Grape Ape :slight_smile:

1 Like

I remember all those strains…You are right, it was kinda all we had. Acapulco Gold, Panamanian RED, Thai stick and Mexican. Then came Rainbow…(It was just Mexican mixed with red and gold…a way to increase the price) Grape Ape was one of those early strains I recall. It was an Indica strain so at that time, it was considered STRONG…not so much in today’s time. There are seed companies other that HGC that carry it but with everything HGC has, and the hybridization of strains of today, I would go with a more recent strain. Strains like Super Lemon Haze, Northern Light Big Bud…very SWEET strains. gorilla zkittles

1 Like

Agh! You are right! It was Panama red not Colombian! As they say…the memory is the first to go LOL. Thai stick was something very special and didn’t come around often at all.

Thank you for letting me know that strain would not be considered ‘strong’ in todays world…and you are right. I forgot about how much more potent weed has become through the years. Thank you for your recommendations. It is not legal in my area (yet) so I’m very thankful to have knowledgable people that will help out with all my questions :slight_smile:

Grape Ape is STILL A STRONG strain. But with strains like GG4, Kush, SanFernando Valley, etc, it is close. Problem is getting the seeds (UK purchase) and WAITING where you could have similar or better in a week or 2 and be half grown before UK seeds arrive

1 Like

Thank you for the ‘heads up’. I hadn’t even thought that the seeds would be coming from out of country. I have read so much about GG4…I’m going to have to work that strain in some how :slight_smile:

Another question, when you have time please…I have some seeds I purchased from HGC and I have them in the two little plastic bags they came in, with blue cardboard wrapped around that (to keep them as dark as I could). They are in the fridge. Is there anything special I should do before germinating them? I would assume that maybe I should take them out of the fridge a day or two before germinating. I’m asking because I had a couple others from HGC that didn’t germinate after being in the fridge.

do not fridge your seeds. Just a dark corner, like the closet, airtight container…glass preferred, not plastic. That is ok for short term
Kris, I happen to have a bunch of HGC gg4 seeds. Some of us share seeds. [email protected]
Email me and join our share club

1 Like

Oh geeze, I thought I was doing a good thing! Gads…I will take them out of the fridge now and put them elsewhere :frowning:
I will send you an email, thank you :slight_smile:

1 Like

Let them come to room temp in the air so there is no condensation. Do you have any kelp? Any Molasses?
Hydrogen Peroxide 3%?

2 Likes

LOL…thanks again. I did take them out of the plastic bags and put them in paper towels and then a dark place. I hadn’t thought of the condensation…I’m sure the Pepsi & spiced rum had nothing to do with that oversight :). No…no kelp…no molasses …yes on the hydrogen peroxide. ???

1 Like

Grape ape has a pretty good taste of grapes after cureing

1 Like

Thank you! I would love to come across that smell/taste again :slight_smile:

I swear I answered this exact question here before but in the 80’s there was a strain called purple indica also known as purple afghany or purple Pakistani that’s was brought to the states by military folks coming home from the middle east. It smelled and tasted like grapes and is believed to be the strain that fathered and mothered many of the famous purple west coast strains in the 90s and 00’s.

2 Likes

@Kris HCC also has seeds called pure indica that definitely scream purple indica to me. Js.

Lineage is undisclosed but it sounds almost spot on like that long lost wonder used to breed our favorite purps.

1 Like

Thank you. I sure would love to come across it again. As soon as friends would walk in my downstairs front door they could smell the grape smell that was coming from a bedroom upstairs where I was growing. It was amazing :slight_smile:

1 Like