Glossy, spotted and curling leaves

We need help!
Black Jack Auto

AC Infinity set up in a 24x24x36 iPower tent. Temp 78F and humidity @ 72%
Using started packet -seedling nutrients - bug blaster - homegrown brand

Fan Leafs started looking glossy and then started to curl up. Philzon 600w veg LED lights and pH @ 6.2

How high are the lights and what intensity?

Also, depending on your soil I probably wouldn’t be adding any nutrients (unless it’s organic amendments) in seedling stage.

Without knowing your grow medium and starting soil it’s hard to say.

Generally when I’ve seen taco’ing leaves burning around the edges…

1. Lights to intense/ close - but they could curl away also so I would make sure the roots stretching to the bottom are getting water.
  2. Too dry
  3. But could be Too much synthetic nutes
2 Likes

Did you by chance use any of the homegrown brand as a foliar spray? If so, when did you spray them, lights on or lights out? I also agree with the previous comment about suspected problems. It is likely a light/distance issue affecting growth. Acidic soil will also burn up your leaf tips but is usually noticed much earlier in growth.

Thank you so much @laf6502. That’s what we were thinking about the nutrients. Today it was flushed and leaves are reaching again. Lights haven’t been an issue. I had a beautiful plant (1st plant ever) I just had to throw outdoors yesterday due to being the wrong gender. (that was a seed we found from a sac) Then we found this site :smiley:

THANK YOU! GREAT INFO!

We used Homegrown BUG BLASTER and MOLD PROTECTION.
We did have a gnat problem due to over watering. (LESSON LEARNED) :laughing:
Another lessoned learned, is to use right before turning out the lights.

@Jram_13 Thank you!

loving this site

1 Like

When you say too dry, you are talking about humidity… we had it @ 78%. Do you think we should raise it back up? I read up and they do say that leaves tend to curl if the plant is too cold or too hot.

ANY ADVICE ON SAVING OUR BUDDY WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!
This is an auto flower …
We already flushed and seems to reaching again.

No… Leaves curling up could indicate the pot was to dry. The humidity is fine…I would bring down to the 60 range based on the size.

Since you just flushed her, just let her dry completely out. If the soil was too wet the opposite could be root rot and the leaves will be lethargic (rather than praying) and start discoloring around the edges. Seems more likely based on the info you’ve provided.

Id guess based on the overwatering some most of the roots are yellowish/brown… This will stunt it but new roots will start taking over… Sounds like they are if they are praying again.

This is a very common seedling problem… I have my new seedlings about 7 days from bean drop in earth boxes and have yet to water them. For the first 7 days or so from sprout just use a spray bottle and foliar water if your pot already had moisture lower down. After that start trickling water around the perimeter of the biggest leaves making a circle of water around the seedling but not where the water is touching the stem.

After the plant is on the 3-5th node (depending how fast its growing) start watering the pot to ensure the bottom roots are getting water.

In a 3 gallon - start with about 1/4 gallon and don’t water again till the pot is as light as is was before you put the water in. In a 5 gallon it may require about 1/2 or more to adequately wet the pot the first time.

The next time you water maybe use a compost tea and water it in… Keep it simple (a little kashi blend - steeped - or use blackstrap molasses, aloe, root wise or I would use some Yah-Whey probiotics.)

For the molasses start with about 1/2 oz/gal. All others use as directed. Aerate if possible overnight and water in about an hour after lights on. Your plants will love it. In a small plant I would use it once a week. In a bigger pot maybe every 10 days or so.

About 7 days out of the ground… Only been sprayed with a few squirts (but the soil in the EB was perfectly moist). I want those stems to stretch and stay white for as long as possible.

This auto at 22 days from seed. – I put water in once to this point. From here I started with 1/2 gallon and wait till the bottom is completely dry. Once they start stretching increase to about 1 gal per box and do it again when the bottom is dry. Very simple to water. In smaller pots you will have to dial in your watering skills.

Then if everything goes well at about day 54 from seed… This plant is almost 40" with some nice nugs stacking.

Thes are also 54 days from seed… So stay encouraged as the tent will be smelling quickly with autos. And you can always start another one with it… Generally when an auto stunts it will be a fairly small plant.

2 Likes

WOW! @laf6502 Thank you sooooo much! This was information that we needed!!!

1 Like

You’re welcome :). When I first started growing indoors I was all over looking for the best to learn from. My grows have become so consistent and the quality level is beyond what I thought was possible.

Start with good genetics. I recommend going organic. The best videos on the internet are from the Build a Soil grow channel on Youtube. If you just follow Jermey on Youtube I guarantee you will be crushing it from the beginning. Ive since modified my soil blends but I use all BAS products for my grows. There is 4 seasons of grows in the archive there. If you love it as much as I do, it is worth the investment to spend some time in those archives.

I just come back here as this was one of the first places I started with my indoor grows so it has a special place in my heart :). … Even though not much traffic and posts don’t get much interaction.

1 Like

Also… if you have gnats. Use the Karanja/Neem blend, grind it in a coffee grinder and spread on the top soil. Or use Mustard meal but that is much hotter so keep away from the stem a bit.

Clean every day with EM5 or an anti-microbial plant based enzyme (pots, trays, tent). I use a very specific enzyme ive used for a while as I am now confident when I spray and fog with it my plants are unaffected.

Add Colorado Worm Company castings - tons of worms and beneficial insects.

Your gnats will be gone for good soon.

1 Like

If you have gnats try cinnamon it is a cheap organic way of getting rid of gnat infestations and it also kills the eggs. It is in fact a great pesticide as well as a rooting agent. Facts…cheaper ways of better days

1 Like