Gallons Vs Litres! What’s the deal

Hello All, I feel kinda stupid for asking this but I’m sure my google searches are confusing me more than enlightening me. I’m in the UK, all the info regarding pot sizing and measurements on YT are in Gallons. I’m assuming both the Canadian and American content creators are working with US Gallons? If anyone can help it would be very much appreciated. Thank you in advance and Happy growing!

1 Like

@ChronicCowboy420 try this converter on your computer…I have used it for years and shared in this forum previously
http://www.ppe.com/convert.htm

2 Likes

Canadians are wannabe Americans. :grin: (kidding!)

I’m certain their YT content creators who use gallons are thinking about their US audiences. Those are liquid gallons, nobody knows what a dry gallon is.

So, conversion factors are:

1 liter = 0.264 us liquid gallon
1 us liquid gallon = 3.785 liters

2 Likes

Unless you’re measuring rocket fuel, a liter is close enough to a US quart, or one quarter of a 128 ounce gallon to think of it that way. Us old Americans grew up with ounces and pints and quarts and gallons. They went and screwed it up about the time I was legal to buy a pint of gin. It wasn’t no 500 ml, it was a bleeding pint. First time I ever drove to Montreal, I was all sorts of screwed up trying to buy gasoline. That 390-4bbl wasn’t fussy, but liquid worked a bunch better than fumes. Now how much can I get for $10? No, I spoke no French. Lol

1 Like

@ChronicCowboy420 that’s funny grow brother because back in the U.S.A. sixties around Woodstock times. when i popped my first seed we we’re going. “Liter? who thinks like that” :v::laughing: Merry Christmas and i still think they’re trying to fididdle us into confuddlement or something b.s. like that

2 Likes

Smashed it brother! Thank you very much​:pray::cowboy_hat_face:

2 Likes

Smashed it brother! Thank you very much​:pray::cowboy_hat_face:

1 Like

@ChronicCowboy420 in the US there are 3 types of gallons so many people get confused.

There is the liquid imperial gallon which is a unit of volume that was used in the US before the US gallon which is still used and it’s usually defined as imp gal. This is equivalent to about 4.5 liters.

The US gallon that is now more commonly used is defined as US gal and is the equivalent of about 3.8 liters rounded up. Also has to be 231 cubic inches for whatever reason.

Then there is the US dry gallon defined as usdrygal which is what we use in our nursery pots or planting pots. A US dry gallon is an eighth of a us bushel. This gallon, used for dry volume of soil or dry goods, is equivalent to about 4.4 liters.

So, there you guys have it. That’s why our gallon pots always hold more than a gallon jug because they are different units of measurement with the same damn name. Lol

Anyway, to sum up, our US dry gallon pots equal 4.4 metric liters per US dry gallon.

2 Likes

@MDBuds Holy crap! Even your northern neighbour didn’t know your dry gallons are the same as ours!
Metric system is so much easier. Everything is just a decimal shift conversion. Course, when you do screw up, it’s a ten-fold mistake!

2 Likes

I’ve always use quart’s and gallon 4quarts =gallon,4cups=quart1quart=2pints1pint=2cups