Fruit Flies / Gnats

Can’t control the fungus gnats…the last 2 indoor grows I have tried to use all organic soil materials, amendments, fertilizers, etc. but I am not able to control the tiny flies…I have tried drying out the soil, keeping the soil moist, covered the soil with coffee filters, used Azamax, tons of yellow sticky traps and am having no luck…I have tried a humidifier in the room as well…all I can think is that one of the organic items is attracting them and even supporting a great growing environment for them…Any suggestions would be appreciated…I was thinking of a solution with hydrogen peroxide, but I don’t want to kill beneficial bacteria…

@tasl top dress with DE or treat with nematodes.

1 Like

What soil are you using? When and where did you buy it? Describe your tent (size, last used, how you clean it)

1 Like

Adding to what @Mrb53004 and @MDBuds, where are you growing? Meaning, basement, etc? Gnats are attracted to moisture of some sort. Do you have enough silica in your soil? What’s your recipe? Can you also let us know what the temps and humidity are and what is it you are growing?

Thanks for the feedback…I’m going to try top dressing with diatomaceous earth…fyi, my soil consists of coco, bone meal, worm castings, perlite, azomite, humic acid, egg shells, epsom salt, bat guano and powdered molasses…

1 Like

@tasl top dressing with DE takes a few treatments to work so don’t get discouraged if they aren’t gone after the first. It prevents the adults from laying more eggs and kills the larvae becoming adults trying to come to the soil surface but it does nothing to kill the eggs.

Takes about 3 to 4 weeks to fully get rid of fungus gnats with DE. Just reapply it to the top soil after every watering and feeding.

2 Likes

Thanks MDbuds. I just applied the de…I’ll stay with it for a few weeks…thanks for the suggestion…

2 Likes

You can also add perlite/sand etc as a top layer over your soil, about 2 inches deep, to help prevent them. Check and see if they have access to your soil from the bottom of the containers as well.

1 Like

When I add the layer of DE to my containers, I do not water it from the top. I bottom feed for a while. The longer the DE stays dry on the surface, the better and longer it lasts to kill off the live and eventually eggs / pupae that hatch. You are supposed to refresh, renew it every time it gets wet

1 Like

What’s a good alternative for folks who might have furbabies wandering about? DE is dangerous for them.

@kmac03 food grade de.

1 Like

It’s non-toxic to your pets a non-toxic natural substance. It’s made from crushed fossils of freshwater organisms and marine life. … Diatomaceous earth is deadly to any insect, yet completely harmless to animals. ALSO - there is a FOOD GRADE version, use that

2 Likes

Thanks, Y’all! :upside_down_face: :v:

Thanks to everyone for the help…gonna try the de for a bit…

I was thinking about a cat breathing it in. :wink:

Food grade- SAFE FOR PETS. When you sprinkle it on, it will become airborne momentarily, but once in a while is not dangerous. It is not good for anything (person / animal) to BREATHE it continuously.

But, I thought breathing it in continuously might be fun. All those tiny little shards gathering together to make it start ‘raining blood’ internally makes for an adventure.

My hubs would be so proud:

3 Likes

I use Diatomaceous Earth to control fruit flies.

1 Like

Bringing back memories of the desert with that album @kmac03. Saw them 2 years ago in St Louis, was the 4th time in my life.

1 Like

I hope I didn’t bring back bad memories. I let the hubs go see them at live shows, I listen from afar. :v:t2:

1 Like