Fishhead or not?

On another site there’s this dude who buries fishheads under the pot plant…Outside grow…Has anyone heard of or tried doing this…I would not ask if it was corn

3 Likes

I started growing tomatoes when I was 15. I used to go fishing in the Great South Bay, come home, clean my fish and bury the heads and guts in my garden, I grew my first MJ plant that way and continued for years…Organic fish fertilizer…compost, bone meal, true living soil

4 Likes

I used to bow fish carp and gar. Used them whole under tomatos and had bumper crops no other amendments. Just shoveled up 6 in dirt for the bed. Layed fish in bottom almost touching. Replaced sod facedown placed soaker hose and covered with black plastic. Cut holes and planted seedlings the same day. Monster crops.

2 Likes

i used to catch herring by the barrel full, I buried 5 gal of them years ago in mid april, i planted a seedling in may & it grew to at least 10 - 12 ’ tall before someone else thought they needed it more than i did. so i would say fish is a great soil builder.

2 Likes

@Wildbill this works great but I learned to start the year prior. Dead/decaying animals are great sources of nutrients but the ph fluctuations and concentrations of NPK can actually end up killing plant life until everything balances out.

When I did outdoor I would prep separate plots and switch between them every year. Use one plot, bury fish and carcasses in the other. Next year swap plots. Plant in the one with the animal remains and bury animal remains in the one I used the year before.

I got much better quality crops this way and had none of the issues I had before when I did it “fresh” so to speak.

2 Likes

Thanks,everyone…I went out in the boat yesterday to catch fish…I didn’t catch a thing; Not even a turtle; And I almost always catch those unwanted creatures…The river and lake are barren of life…After that hard freeze last week, the fish are still sluggish and not hungry…There’s always next week…

3 Likes