First Harvest outcome and questions

Hey guys,
It’s been a while since I last checked in and I probably should have stayed in contact a little more. So I harvested my first plant, lemon Haze auto, despite my every effort to sabotage her she still came through and I yielded a whopping 1/2 oz. So maybe not the best, by far, but it’s a start. I have my second lady, a white widow, drying out now and she looks to have been a little better. I’ll keep you posted on her. A question regarding my other lemon haze, she is at 62 days, never really seemed ready but now reaks of B.O. I have no clue what is up with that but I’m a little concerned. If anyone has any advice for me moving forward I would greatly appreciate it. I plan on pulling her this afternoon, if I can stand the smell.
Thanks guys

3 Likes

I only know a couple reasons why we get a bo smell…root rot, fungal growth…see if you can determine if it is the plant or the soil…The odor can come from the plant so you have to neutralize…ammonia treatment
check with others becasue i am not sure in this instance

1 Like

Definitely check the plant and the soil for the smell, even the tent. Fungal/bacterial smell is a good indicator of a possible problem.

3 Likes

And 62 days is early for a lemon haze, most of mine ran 10-12 weeks.

3 Likes

I thought I was jumping the gun, add it to the list for this grow haha. Thank you guys, I think the smell is coming from the plant. When moved and the tris get knocked off it really gets going. That was the main reason I pulled it

Hmmm. I bet it smells like sepsis in humans by y’alls description. So, is it essentially a staph infection for plants that’s gone awry?

1 Like

No clue what sepsis smells like, thankfully, I just know this shit stinks and not in the way I was hoping haha.

1 Like

Hahaha! :v:t2: :rofl:

1 Like

@Topher85 just wondering but what type containers are you using? I use 5 gallon buckets set in saucers sometimes the water + additives will get between bucket and saucers and it gets to stinking REAL bad. Nothing a couple spacers and a shop vac wont fix but it stinks until addressed.

2 Likes

Jared you nailed it man, I have black 3 gal fabric pots and I have been flushing the said plant. I pulled her today realized it was not the plant but like all you guys have said to check everything and it was the pot. I’ve since dried it out and the smell has dissipated. This just confirms that I know nothing haha. It takes a village, thanks guys! I’ve got my girl back in the tent to ride out a few more weeks

6 Likes

@kmac03 botrytis or bud rot gives that acrid bo smell and can infect the actual plant tissue like an infection through open wounds etc…

5 Likes

@Topher85 the smell from the fabric pots and saucers is usually algae or mildew. You can fix it and prevent it by spraying the outside of the pots and the saucers once a week with garlic oil, h202, apple cider vinegar, or even milk.

It’s what I do it my tent. If I see any green or any slime develop like the start of algae or slime mold I wash immediately.

4 Likes

Mmmmm. Sounds delicious.

Hey…I KNOW THAT TOO!

Now that I have the smell under control, I was able to harvest my 2nd plant and she turned out way better than the first. Still nothing extravagant but I’m pretty stoked about it. I’ve got 2 more finishing up, 1 widow and 1 lemon Haze. Fingers crossed they turn out even better.

4 Likes

This may sound silly, but I have a turkey baster that I will use to suck the excess water out from a saucer. Most plant saucers have areas that are lower then the rest of the saucer so you can stick the tip of the turkey baster in those spots to get out the excess water.

4 Likes

That would definitely work.

1 Like

Chris, using a microscope can help you with when to pull, the smell is another problem of its own. I personally don’t use chemicals, but if you do then it might be your problem, also always keep your growing area disinfected all the time. Here’s a chart if you have microscope.

2 Likes

So you meant BO as in weed smell – or soil/rot stink?

When you say pulled plant – so you mean just moved it to check it out? Or pulled from the fabric pot? How did you dry the pot?