Fan speed too much?

My conclusion as well.

Adapt. Improvise. Overcome.

The kit did include a peg timer. I set that to come on 15 minutes each hour.

And ordered the speed control. May use both.

We learn by doing. I’ve learned a lot. Thinking this one may become the drying tent and thinking a 2x4 would be nice. Then asking how much? How much will this yield? How long will it last? Will I want another strain?

The right answers require the right questions.

I have to admit though, I really like doing this. :laughing:

Cannabis has never been a subject open for discussion in my world. Being able to talk about it is new.

And fun.

Absolutely right!
I’m no kid. I missed Woodstock, but made it to Watkins glen, and only got popped for hitchhiking. Would’ve gone to prison for the hash in my wallet, lol.

Bro science, literally from the top down has plagued weed culture forever. Almost any university lab gets federal money. They lose it if they research forbidden substances like federal class one weed. So no legit, open research happened since the 1930s or something.
Enter stockholder companies interested in selling anything to make a buck, and exploding customer base as states legalize, and it’s cray cray out there.

Back to the local, rather than global, I try to control what I can, but keep it as simple and FUN as I can. I’m not trying to make oxygen on mars. I’m trying to have all the weed I want, never sweat running out or chasing down a dealer again.

I’ve got the spider farmer sf1000 light, and 27x27x60 tent. It’s a pretty good set up for a package deal. But it’s not real big. I debated going bigger, but I’m in a small apartment.
What I’ve done so far is build a drying box and pull air through it as input air to the tent, which scrubs odors as tent output is filtered.
I’ve begun doing a staggered grow, starting the next crop among the flower. I’m liking that a lot because it cuts crop to crop turn around time (and of course harvest times) by around three weeks. Growing autos, that’s a lot.
Next steps will likely be building a more permanent drying box, perhaps as a “sidecar” attached to the tent, and of course the ventilation system.
I could get by a while with my cobbled together experiment, but the dry box is only reinforced cardboard. It’s gonna get soggy like it does.

I’ll share what I’ve learned about supply and demand. For a single person, having a long history of intermittent availability and the resulting scarcity mindset, there can never be enough, yet the adult in my head says “ahem. Really?”

In the 27x27 inch layout, over time I’ve used one, two, or three 5gal pots, two 7gal pots, and now three 3gal pots. With three 3 gallon pots, I have room to sprout seedlings in small pots to transplant also. I almost have room to start seedlings in three gallon pots alongside my maturing bud, but it’d be really tight. So I gotta become a transplant pro.
My drying box is both too small and too big, along with being temporary material But it started life as two cardboard boxes I happened to have, so I can’t complain.

So broad brush, blue sky, let’s design a small system?

I’m starting with the assumption that I’m growing autos, strain really doesn’t matter.

I want permanent, not flimsy. A tent is a nod to cost, but is marginal for permanence, of which every zipper sound reminds me. A cardboard box was a prototype, not worth trying to keep long term.

I want room for three babies and three big plants. I want dedicated, permanent drying space. Using staggered, overlapping grow, a nine week cycle from one harvest to the next means twelve week old plants every nine weeks. That’s a plant every three weeks. If a plant only yields a dry, cured ounce, that’s an Oz every three weeks. If you smoke more than that, you’re gonna need a bigger tent. :rofl:

Three, 3 gallon pots work very nicely in a 2x2, and kinda forces intelligently using the light. But there isn’t much leftover room.

A 2x4 tent eats more room, but still doesn’t buy controlled zones for different needs.

I’m thinking a three chamber, fully controlled, seedling/flower/ dry all in one, using one in-line variable speed fan, probably two but at least one clip on fan, one carbon filter, and dedicated low wattage light for the seedling chamber. Put the inline fan up top, outside, and draw inlet air variably, through either the seedling box, dry box, or both.
What I have now:

What I want

Personally, I think a medical marijuana card should come with each ss card they issue.

But, that’s just me. Having abstained for 42 years, I have no intention to continue life without it.

That was a lot to read but good ideas. I have seen tents like you’re working with for sale. It would be nice to have one unit with dedicated, permanent drying space. I’ve moved this 2x2x67 for the 3rd time, changed a bunch of things. I’m looking for the spot with the least outside traffic, now that I know how loud the fans are.

I saw a 2x2x3 tent that might work well as a drying tent. Then I could use this one as you do. Probably won’t run quite as tight a growing schedule. Thanks for that, helped with understanding.

I’m going to add a 3rd plant to mine!

But, I think I need to upgrade the lighting. The LED is only 65w. I added a 4 foot LED vertically and a LED spotlight. Total 103w. From what I’ve read I should have 200w.

So instead of adding a bunch of small lights I’ll get the right one. This is the one I’m looking at.

2022 SPIDER FARMER SF1000 LED Grow Light with Samsung LM301B Daisy Chain Dimmable Full Spectrum Grow Lights for Indoor Plants Veg Flower Growing Lamps Board 3x3 ft Coverage 1000W New Diode Layout

When I find a strain or plant I really like I will clone it. I have 778 sq ft.

Maybe I do need a bigger tent. :slight_smile:

Is that light too strong for 2x2x67"?

That light is great for 1 to 2 autos… You’ll be happy

I’m running the spider farmer sf1000 from last year. It draws 100w, and they sell it with a 27 x27 inch so five sq ft tent, and it’s all the tent needs. According to spider farmer, it’s good to veg three by three, flower two by two. If I build a permanent unit, and decided to go 2x4 under lights, yes, I can daisy chain two on one control if I want. So I could get away with adding one light and using all my gear.
I might need to move fairly soon, so I’m unsure how I wanna proceed.

But one way or another, I want about an Oz a month of fresh, fragrant, delicious bud.

1 Like

Thanks, everyone, I’m beginning to feel comfortable doing this. Still much to learn, but I won’t kill my investment now. :laughing:

1 Like

The quietest fan I think would be the Ac inintity t4 or s4. I have a spider farmer 4” also and it’s not too bad for noise.

As far as good kits go… both SF and AC infinity have excellent starter kits.

I own two SF 2x4s. If going with a 2x4 I would go with SF oversized 27x55x72. And I know their light is great and haven’t used the ion board (but sure it’s great too) If you have the room get the oversized as cost is about the same and you’d be surprised how much the little extra helps with floor space and the extra foot in height. The kit comes with the sf2000 and that is plenty to grow 2-3 plants in that tent. Perfect for two though. You could then add a sf1000 later if you wanted to increase lighting and stuff an extra plant in there.

All of your comments helped a lot.

After considering my consumption patterns, I realized I should use the current 2x2 tent to grow a good 18/6 sativa.

And invest in a 2x4 or so as an auto grow tent for seeds, clones, vegging, flowering. I would need to monitor the canopy height from the plants but I can easily do that.

I have a AC Infinity IONBOARD S33, Full Spectrum LED Grow Light Board on the way to replace the current lighting in the 2x2.

My priorities are getting the light right and controlling the smell. Outside venting is not an option. Small personal ACs are under consideration.

A plan.

Thanks for the help.

That should be a great light… Ac infinity makes some really nice stuff. The Ionboards were in beta a long time so they should have them dialed.

I got took by Grand Ma for $1000 bucks for a box