Fabric Pots or plastic buckets?

Remember the reason we use cloth pots is to air prune the roots so they don’t root bound around the outside and choke off the inner root ball (and plant) to precious oxygen. That means overall more airflow in. That also means more moisture out with the airflow. Hence the need to wick water or soak water from the bottom. Same thing.

It allows the use of smaller pots for the same plant. With plastic pots you just size up to the next pot so no problems.

3 Likes

I’m trying to sort through the images in my head. At the moment, it’s all geometry in there, which makes me :dizzy_face:

Yeah. Most are machine washable too so I run mine through the wash with some distilled white vinegar to sanitize and they’re good to go.

3 Likes

@kmac03 this would work if the pot still sat slightly under the edge of the saucer until the roots grew out of the bottom then you wouldn’t have to worry about wicking. It would become more of a hybrid soil/dwc. Lol

2 Likes

So glad what I was imagining made sense to you. :rofl: I mean, I guess I could (bottom to top because that’s what I’m typing out):

saucer -rocks-saucer w/holes-rocks-pot?

1 Like

@kmac03 I’ve done exactly this before and so has Kyle Kushman. I never named it but he has. I can’t recall what he called it now though. :joy:

Only difference I believe is he did it with plastic pots and I used fabric with ceramic saucers.

1 Like

I’ve heard of people doing swamp buckets. Same idea too. Basically find a pond or wetland marsh shallow lake and put your pot up on stilts at the waterline. Then the roots grow down into the water just like a DWC grow out of the bottom of the pot. I have a friend up north with some swampy back country who swears by this method. He grows some big ass outdoor trees with the BC Seeds strain called God bud. I personally haven’t had good luck with that strain, but he loves it in his swamp bucket pots.

2 Likes

Kmac:

What you said made perfect sense, and works too. It just wasn’t exactly what I was describing. So I wanted to clarify.

That method would be at the bottom pot line (just touching) and then you would keep it slightly below or not higher as the roots grew down.

The difference in what I was describing is like a 20 to 40 minute flood where do you want the watering flood line up 4- 5 inches above the bottom of the pot. Then the wicking action pulls the water and nutrients up through the pot and soil. Then the plant is completely removed from the water. It would be too deep to leave it that way long-term I would defeat the purpose of using the cloth pots to allow more air. Unless you really did a deep water culture highbred and ran air stones in the water.

3 Likes

I’ve got plastic saucers and fabric pots. Challenge accepted. :v::star_struck:

3 Likes

For now, I’ll ignore the newly added ingredients (airstones, etc) as I was able to visualize what you were talking about. It makes perfect sense to me. When I was young, I used to watch candles and how the smoke would create a vortex (it helped create Peace in Chaos mentally) and actually powers the candle using a vacuum, so the :fire: is actually pushed out into the Light. Seems to be using the same energy, just different “ingredients” right? All from the word Wicking. Hahaha! I appreciate your patience.

@Noddykitty maybe one of these days we can do an IG live session or something of that nature. Smoke a bowl or two and just bs about growing and toss our tips and tricks around.

4 Likes

MDbuds,
Everyone around here calls that the hippie dip method. I’m sure that’s not a technical term. And I’m sure hippie dip probably refers to other things. But a water reservoir underneath the pot for the roots to grow down into a called a hippie dip in the PNW.They are primarily promoted to vacation water plants in most references that I have seen or have talked with others.

1 Like

What does this mean?

Kmac

What I mean is I’m going on vacation for a week and I don’t trust the neighbor kids to water my potted pot plants.

6 Likes

Do you think it’s not a good idea for a long term indoor grow solution? If so, why or why not?

I think it would work fine. I bet that method works great. It was just slightly but different enough from what I was describing. Enough to contrast it from what I was describing. If that makes sense?

I am primarily An outdoor grower. I only grow indoors to nurture clones and seedlings through the winter. I forget my outdoor growing bias sometimes even if I try to keep it at the front of my mind in all my replies. That said there’s plenty of years I’ve grown indoors in my past. (I should start a thread called micro growing in dorm rooms and fraternity house is in college. I used to LST a plant around the inside of a fish tank stand. Had all the odor removed by an air pump blowing the odor and air into the aquarium above it. Worked great in my dorm room. No one ever found out.)

That’s just not my grows now.

1 Like

Do it!! That would be so awesome!!

I appreciate every bit of your answers, no matter if it applies in current time or not. If not now, it will later. :v:

1 Like

I use fabric. I love it. I have 4 20 gallon fabric pots. I’m in my 3rd grow with this method. I have never had root rot. The air around the pots keep it dry enough so you could accidentally over water and it would dry naturally. This has worked well for me. Just do a soil exchange every grow.

4 Likes

One per pot or…? Insert more words.

I can get 2 comfortably per. Three is possible if they auto flower

2 Likes