Episode 3. A Beginner's Guide: Choosing Your Lights

Originally published at: https://homegrowncannabisco.com/grow-your-own-with-kyle-kushman/how-to-grow-marijuana/episode-3-a-beginners-guide-choosing-your-lights/

Hi There, Welcome To Grow Your Own With Kyle Kushman! We have a symbiotic relationship with plants. Our leafy

My seeds have sprouted for about 4 days now, I have them under a small LED. How many hours of light should I be giving them?
I got 2 Wedding Cake 2 GG #4 & 1Gelato

For photos 18/6 is the standard for seedling and veg.

2 Likes

I’ve had good results with 18 on 6 off. But you may have the same problem I did when I switched my light, momentarily. If those stems shot up more than an inch, that means the light source isn’t strong enough.
I replaced my light and with the next grow, my plants shot up like those. When I’ve done it right, you’ll see those leaves double in size each day. But your on day 4 and the leaves are smaller than mine are now on day 3. Mine had no growth and didn’t get bigger until after a week, then they started growing, after I put my old light back. That may be a plant light you are using but your not going to get a lot of buds from 5 plants with that light. I have two 200 watt leds panels for 4 plants, just to insure lighting from side to side in the tent. Only way to see what your dealing with is by using a light PAR meter, that specifically measures the light in the spectrum plants use. I finally got one, cheapest one is around 250.00 unfortunately, but it’s the only way of knowing if you have enough light or not.

Your light is too red/purple for that stage. You need more blue light around 470 nm. The correct lights for weed are either blue, white and red, or blurple, and all -white. But specifically, they need the right ratio of blue and red wavelengths.

Here is my recent project, 3rd day after sprouting. This time I have an upgraded light, with 2 dimmers.

Yes, Im running a little hot but just turned up my exhaust fan so the temp should be coming down, and at night it drops to 72.

1 Like