Drying & Curing

So I have harvested by crop and the buds are drying in a dark cool room. How do I know when they are ready?

1 Like

The snap and smoke test. Take one of the stems and bend it. If it snaps it should be dry enough to start jar curing. If it just bends and doesn’t snap let it dry a little longer. Once it’s dry enough to snap it’s time to start jar curing. When jar curing burp it for a few hours every day and turn the buds so they don’t get moldy. Do a smoke test every week or two. When the buds have that nice cured bud smell and smoke is smooth it’s ready.

I prefer mine to stay around 60% rh during jar cure because I like my buds sticky and I think they taste better after. The cure takes longer that way but it’s worth it.

2 Likes

Welcome Stephen,

There are many answers to your question, and I am sure this forum will give you some great information and Ideas. As for me, I do not completely dry my buds prior to curing. I like them to be dry enough that they do not stick together. This allows me to fluff them during cure without damaging them. I can tell they are ready if I can put up and they do not feel wet but are less than dried out. Vague much! The idea is to allow the final dry and cure to happen at the same time. For me this leaves the finished product dry enough to smoke but mellow in flavor and taste. I cure in stainless and with desiccant 61%. I like the results I get. If by chance I place into cure too early, I just leave open a day or so and keep fluffing until I get the desired dryness, then back to cure. I would rather put in stainless too early then dry out. I can fix too early.

I hope this helps,

1 Like

@stevepitt2 Welcome to the forum Stephen and Happy Growing

1 Like