Drying cannabis

It’s day six on drying and want to know is it a good time to start curing process. Buds are hard and not squishy they feel dry. I bent some of the smaller stems and they snap but bigger one don’t snap but they feel dry. Your thoughts?

1 Like

Have you been monitoring/ controlling your dry environment conditions? Where are they at?

There’s a lot more variables on top of that. Size, density of the buds etc. It’s sort of a touch thing.

You can err on the side of wetter and burp the jars more. If it dries out too much you lose some quality in my opinion.

Of course the best test if it’s ready is the smoke test.

2 Likes

@Garden420 If at day 6 your buds feel dry and hard you let your humidity get too low. Your snap test tells me it has dried out and is ready for the jars. Get yourself some Bovida for your jar to help put some moisture back in your bud so it smokes smother…I have the same problem when drying, everything is going well temp at 76 with 55% humidity and then I have to leave for a day and of course on that day humidity drops. I don’t have an auto humidifier so I must be there to turn it on if needed… too much humidity will cause mold during the drying process ‘been there done that’…better to have dry buds than wet…time to spark up :cowboy_hat_face:

2 Likes

You can start on the smaller ones and work your way up but some like it little damper I’ve started cureing why it’s been not as dry you have to buurp 4to5 time aday and i have put it in jars for couple days and get back out lay on screen for few then back in jars but it mainly is your environment some house holds more moisture and some are dry

1 Like

@Daddy1971 I am gun shy about putting up while moist since I ruined one crop thinking if I kept humidity on the high side 62% during the dry that I could l make that 10 day mark for drying. I got this slight brownish mold on my buds which can cause health issues if you smoke it…so now I go on the lower humidity side 40-45% and typically at 7 days my snap test works … I can add moisture back to smooth the dryness out with Bovida packs…In fact I have learned that If I keep my rolled joints with a Bovida pack in its container it will smoke smoother and my terps seem to be more noticeable in my mouth when smoking.

2 Likes

Like I was saying every house environment different i used to live in a mobile home and i had hardest time but my house now i keep it 55 temperature and humidity at 60 and i built a dry box never use it again i lost three big tops so i hang my buds after about two weeks i start breaking it all down then put on screen for more drying and sometimes i will put jar for few pull it back out on screen for few then in jars it’s all about your environment

2 Likes

@Daddy1971 yep that is what I like about this forum so many different techniques that others have learned

4 Likes

will im not bragging but the best bud I’ve smoke i grow it myself but ive never smoked any from dispensary

1 Like

Thanks guys. I have been monitoring dry environment inside grow tent. Humidity been between 55 and 60 percent. Temperature between 60 and 65. I went ahead and started curing process this morning because when I checked steams some of them did snap. Also I check buds and they felt dry and dense. When I installed the hydrometers inside jars it was reading 50 and 55 percent humidity. I figured it should be between 60 and 62 percent. I don’t know if was reading around 50 because I just put them in there or what. But I’m at work now so I won’t be able to check it again until I’m off.

1 Like

Thanks guys. I have been monitoring dry environment inside grow tent. Humidity been between 55 and 60 percent. Temperature between 60 and 65. I went ahead and started curing process this morning because when I checked steams some of them did snap. Also I check buds and they felt dry and dense. When I installed the hydrometers inside jars it was reading 50 and 55 percent humidity. I figured it should be between 60 and 62 percent. I don’t know if was reading around 50 because I just put them in there or what. But I’m at work now so I won’t be able to check it again until I’m off.

The buds get harder as they cure if they snap you can start cureing but it also cure it the way you like the way it breaks up the way you like to smoke it

1 Like

Six days seems fast if you were able to maintain those conditions. I’d be shooting for around two weeks hanging if I was in that range.

If the buds pulled a fiber when you snap them off, they could dry a little more. Stay on top of burping the jars religiously. If you get a whiff of hay dump the buds out and let em air out some more.

1 Like

I would jar then and burp a few times a day as long as the buds are not moist or very big and dense. Bovida paks for sure. I use size 8 at 65%. You can leave the jar open for an hour, close, twice a day

1 Like

Yes i agree with @CurrDogg420 10 to 15 day’s drying when you put in jars keep eyes on moisture and i all was shake the jars then burp and shake them again try keep buds from sticking together

It wasn’t a big yield. Total yield for 3 plants in 2 gallon pots was 112 grams. I cut big fan leaves before drying. Would that affect having a long dry time?

1 Like

Right now my humidity level is 53 percent. I got 62 percent boveda packs coming on today. It’s day 2 of curing. Should I could continue burping jars as normal twice a day or should I do it less frequently? Because when I burp them this morning for like 5 minutes the humidity dropped down to 42 percent

1 Like

The humidity level in jars is 53 percent. I got 62 percent boveda packs coming on today. It’s day 2 of curing. Should I could continue burping jars as normal twice a day or should I do it less frequently? Because when I burp them this morning for like 5 minutes the humidity dropped down to 42 percent

1 Like

@Garden420 curing is an art in my opinion…knowing if your bud needs burping or not. I only burb once in a day and not every day. You want any ‘green gasses’ to leave during the burp and I think that will happen within a minute or so and should all be gone after a few burps. As you noticed leaving too long can change the environment in the jar. I see many posts about this with some having a very complicated burping schedule and to be honest I have never tried to burp more than once a day because I just can’t see the logic in it…

1 Like

You must look at the rhythm in your drying environment, right now it’s dry, I hung my plants for 1 day, the outside of flower was dry but still moist inside, at this point I put the flower in cool whip containers and open twice a day to let out chloroform, the rh was around 40% so after a few days it all went into Mason jars with a humidity chip, now 1 time a week I open jar, the longer you cure the better, but if you overdry you just ruined your grow, been doing so long it is 2nd nature but at this time of year weed drys very quickly, in summer when rh is high I hang longer bc there is more moisture in the air.

You need good air flow all around your hanging plants not directly on them though and humidity and temperature close the same i like it 60 degrees and humidity 55 to 60 but like @retiredoldguy said you have to key in on your environment