Dosing Home-made tinctures and oils

@MDBuds ty😁 that’s what I’ll use when I make my next batch coming up

1 Like

I second the olive oil and sunflower lecithin. My understanding is the lecithin is used in almost all pill rendering In pharmaceuticals. It makes the active ingredient uniform throughout the pill making process.

It also makes any cannabinoids uniform and homogenous throughout the oil. So that the dosage is uniform and you don’t get strong spots and weak spots. Aside from making it more bio available for the body by essentially emulsifying it into small equal droplets. It’s a must if you want to UP your game in oil extraction for edibles.

My long research concurred completely with MD buds that coconut oil and olive oil have the most carbons in their hydrocarbon chain. That directly makes more capacity in the 2 oils to hold onto more cannabinoid’s. Forget the butter; it has lower capacity and spoils too quickly.

I personally prefer the olive oil because it’s a liquid at room temp and has a longer shelf life without going rancid. And no one looks twice in a bottle of olive oil on the kitchen shelf. Coconut oil lasts a long time too but the solid state is much closer to room temp. And It can make it hard to work with for totally inexperienced users. If someone accidentally gets too high on their first time trying cannabis they usually never try it again. Especially people on the fence with trying it as medicine only (I share most of my harvest as finished olive oil and that has been my experience).

The example I have is a good mentor friend of mine had to go on a GI feeding port after surviving hacking out bad esophageal cancer. He was on a liquid diet and can only feed thru the GI stomach port. He liked to use my olive oil because he could shoot it right into his feeding port and it would not get clogged up like the coconut oil would.

Also, if you have people who really don’t want to feel intoxicated at all (left over prohibition guilt from the relentless brainwashing). The olive oil is super helpful because it can be easily cut with more fresh olive oil. I tell people if they complain that it made them feel loopy to cut it 50% with fresh olive oil. Then micro dose all day long. It’s really easy to do when using liquids versus solid-state coconut oil. The olive oil I can give somebody a plunger and say use 2 mL. That’s hard to do with the coconut oil. I am not hating on coconut oil, just loving the olive oil for it ease-of-use. I have used coconut oil plenty.

Sorry to cut in on your thread MDbuds. :palms_up_together: That’s just my five cents to add to the tab.

3 Likes

Also, I’m going on a pet tangent, the olive oil is much better for dosing pets. They seem to like to eat it just fine dogs and cats. It’s way easier to count out one or two drops of olive oil than the coconut oil. Super easy with an eyedropper.

It blows my mind how many pets seem to lose their weird dander and scratching all the time, or are suffering from their bad hips and barfing up rimedol or whatever all day. Neither bother them so much if they get a few drops of cannabis oil in their feed.

3 Likes

@MDBuds …question…Do male plants serve as a good foundation for tincture? Or so I just kill them off. I am looking for a good use of an excess of male plants…Appreciate any recommendations…

1 Like

Hey guys, sorry if it’s already been covered - I’m hearing about MCT oil? Someone we know was recommending it as the best one to use for infusion. I tried to look up a bit about it but there seemed to be a bit of “fad” around it.

What say the gurus? I was a bit nonplussed about it being a manufactured product.

1 Like

@Mrb53004 they still have terpenes and small amounts of cannabinoids but not enough to be worth trying to decarb.

Making teas on the other hand or therapeutic oils is a possibility but they won’t get you high at all. Maybe get a decent uplift and mood boost or a nice relaxing feeling from the terpenes.

With that said it’s difficult to do much with male plants and the result isn’t usually worth the effort so I personally just mulch them if I’m not using them to breed.

2 Likes

@CurrDogg420 MCT is not the best to use. It has a higher infusion rate of cannabinoids such as thc/cbd but it lacks the necessary fats and acids to pull out many of the terpenes and phytocannabinoids. The lack of certain fats and acids also makes anything made with it seem less potent because some of those fats and acids aid in the tincture being processed by the liver. You can try and make up for that by adding sunflower lecithin but infusions made with coconut oil or extra virgin olive oil will still beat it hands down. Even more so if you use lecithin with the evoo or coconut oil.

2 Likes

@MDBuds absolutely would love the recipe😊

1 Like

@MDBuds great info on dosing. With 2 closed head injuries I could follow this perfectly. I had to go over it a couple times but I got it :grin::grin: ty so much. I do have a couple questions:
Can these Calculations also work on figuring out amounts of THC in your edibles?
Ex: brownies, chocolates, etc.

I read that sunflower lecithin stabilizes the cannabinoids better while going through the liver which makes it seem more potent. So it absorbs better. Is that right?
I bought soy lecithin will it do the same?
I made chocolates for my daughter who is very I’ll with pancreatitis. I used 2 cc’s of RSO made from GSC with cocobutter (1/4 cup) & 1 cup dark chocolate using the lg bear molds. Don’t have actual size of mold but they use them for gummies. I’d like to try & figure out how strong they are if possible.

Thank you for being so helpful in getting me & others through this. It can be overwhelming trying to figure it all out.

1 Like

@LilMic sunflower lecithin is more effective than soy lecithin and it’s also a healthier alternative. Extraction methods and gmo aside sunflower lecithin also has more phospholipids and fatty acids that improve liver health and function as well as brain health. Sunflower lecithin is definitely the superior choice in my opinion.

As far as dosing I would need to know how you made the RSO first. How much alcohol and how much flower. Then I would need to know how much rso you had in your end result so I can break down the thc per ml/cc.

Once you do that it’s just a matter of dividing by volume after that/number of edibles. So if you measure each edible by volume before going into the molds such as using ml or cc I can give you the exact amount in each one. If you don’t measure but you used your entire mix I can help there too.

So far you’ve pretty much said you use 2 ml/cc rso to 1 1/4 cup chocolate mix. So I need to know how you made your rso. What alcohol was used and the amounts of alcohol and flower.

2 Likes

@MDBuds hmmm, ok. Michigan cannabis ethanol (made from corn or potato), 3 quarts with 2 ozs of flower. Rick Simpson method.

@LilMic what was the volume of your end result after reducing the rso?

@LilMic without knowing the volume of the end result I can’t tell you how much thc would be in the gummies.

I can tell you though that you’d have roughly 8,000 mg activated thc in the 96oz/3quarts of alcohol before reduction into rso.

@MDBuds rso total was 6 ml. Made 42 pieces of edibles

Wow! If all the calculations are correct, that’s 190mg per gummy. That’s a lot. The legal limit here in Massachusetts is 10mg per dose. Happy trails!

1 Like

@LilMic @Bushdoc she only used 2 cc/ml for all the chocolates so if you divide 8000 by 6 you get 1,333. So each ml/cc is 1,333 mg thc if she didn’t burn any off during the reduction.

Then to find out how much she has in each chocolate you divide 2,666 by 42. That comes out to 64 mg thc per chocolate rounded up.

2 Likes

Thank you @MDBuds this really helps

1 Like

@Mdbuds would you mind if I shared this dosing Calculations paper with others not in this forum? :blush:

1 Like

@LilMic by all means go for it.

@MDBuds cool ty very much!