[Diary #75] Nutrient Lock or Starvation?

If able, can someone help, please? For the latest, please see this first.

I feel like I’m spinning my wheels and not getting anywhere, but maybe I’m just impatient? Female 1 just will not get out of highlighter yellow, Female 2 is adapting and overcoming slowly, but surely.

I have moved past the part of cold being the issue as the temps are 72 F in there now. I have fed this morning with 10 ml of Kelp Me, Kelp You and 5 mL of Wholly Mackerel, thinking starvation.

Now I have vibrant red stems, the bases of both females are clear of irregularities, the red vibrancy occurs starting at the third node from the top. Have I thrown myself into a loop due to treatment/corrective tx/overtreatment and I just need to wait it out a week? I have noted that the main stem/branch joints seem to have a hollowish feel to them. Does this point more towards nutrient lock?

Originally published at: https://homegrowndiary.com/diary/75-kmac-agent-orange/week/1

Pictures for examples.

Google Photos

Google Photos

Google Photos

PS: Male is totally fine. No issues.

1 Like

Your nutrients (micro, macro) are probably not the issue.
Soil…um, could be something going on in,there…most likely your soil is the same across the board, unless you build each container from separate sources so I doubt that
Temps / Rh…appear spot on (unless there was a fluctuation, even just a day or 2…then you need recovery time. If it is TEMP related, and “COLD” was the issue, temporary nute lock…TEMPORARY
So, let look at RED STEMS:
a plant has bright red stems. Maybe there are other symptoms, too, like burnt leaf edges/tips, clawing/curling leaves, or yellowing. - 6 common causes

1. A “Sun Tan”, 2. Genetics, 3. Temperature Fluctuations, 4. Plant Stress, 5. Nutrient Deficiency Caused by Lack of Nutrients (when this happens it is ALL OVER THE PLANT, not JUST certain or particular spots), 6. Nutrient Deficiency Caused by the Wrong PH
    Process of elimination to reduce causes…I would likely look at #1 - is it light burn? #3 did the temps fluctuate recently…didn’t you have a cold snap, power outage or window issue? #4 Stress - haven’t you been moving, changing grow area based on location, possibility of moving? #6 It only takes 1 time for a high/low PH to result in an almost immediate effect of the plant

Only you know which of these are a more credible possibility…narrow it down a little more

AND - Red stems are usually nothing to worry about

3 Likes

I just now considered light burn. The reason: When I moved things around, I turned the light down to 50% so I wouldn’t blind myself (no idea where glasses are). Once I got things set up, I forgot to turn it back up to full, so they hung out for about three weeks like that. I bet that would be the reason.

That would be why the top three nodes, huh? It would be like me going to the beach on the first day of a good sun without protection, right? This would also explain why the male plant is fine, he’s under the MARS TS3000. What do you recommend? Kick it back to 50%?

Thank you for walking through this with me.

3 Likes

Definitely the change in light, especially for a 21 day period. They had reset theirselves to that level of energy input.

3 Likes

If you have the light back up to full strength, leave it. They are already healing from stress, do not add any more changes

3 Likes

Okay, will do. So, I will just have to look at my girls all burned for a bit and get used to it. Verbalizing so I integrate and suppress the urges a bit better. Thanks, @Mrb53004! :v:t2:

@Rye, I appreciate your feedback very much. :v:t2:

2 Likes

Well, now I have another question:

Should I wait to drop them down to ground level while they recover fully so as to not cause stretch and recovery at the same time? In my head, it seems like it could alter genetics in the future, no? I guess it would have to be a habitual pattern though, right? (Hmm.)

2 Likes

I do not see much flowering at this point in time so you can do with them whatever you please. If they were just coming in to flower, no problems moving them back in to veg state. No genetic altering effects here. Base it on size, shape and when you are seeking to harvest. Let them rest and come back from the light inversion and then either train or flip after hey have rebounded, and they will.

4 Likes

Thank you! :v:t2: :star_struck: :v:t2: :muscle:t2:

1 Like