[Diary #320] somebody stop me

I feel your pain. Indoor growing sucks. Excuse my scatological comment. If you can sneak them outside to the real sun for an hour or two it would help. You do know there are cultivars that do not look like marijuana plants. Check them out. Empress, give the plants love and your subjects will repay you with holy smoke. I wish I could join(t) you. I know, bad joke.

1 Like

I need you to turn off the burple lights and take the pics. They hide what really is going on with the plant

from what you are showing and what I can see, you are over-reacting.
For one…always look at the top leaves, new growth. How dose that look
Burnt tips…geesh, the best of us burn them all the time. We push our plants and hopefully the issues are small enough to get around…
I do not see:
drooping - you are not overwatering
striation - i cannot see it under the burple light…please try again
are you misting? Do you drip water / feed on the plant when you water them?
What are you feeding with

2 Likes

@Empress you’re just getting water on your leaves and those lights have UVA in them. Make sure when you water that you water when the lights are off and try to get as little as possible on the leaves. I personally prefer to water just before lights on.

Water drops can focus intense light and burn leaves much like how you use a magnifying glass to burn things.

That stunted one will pick up and start growing soon enough. It was just deprived of light stuck in the shell so it started using up nutrient stores to stay alive because it couldn’t photosynthesize. Once you got the shell off you saved it but those leaves that started dying off won’t come back after that type of stress.

It also appears that you might have a slight vpd or nutrient leaching problem.

Do you have a thermometer and hygrometer so you can tell me the average temperature and humidity?

3 Likes

average temp day is between 82-85 F. nights its 75-78. my humidity is low its at 23-25%. i keep a dish of water in there but it doesnt seem to be helping raise the humidity. does seem to be catching all the gnats though.

@Empress yeah your vpd is way off. With temps and humidity like that your plants will burn easy and also get nutrient burn pretty easy as well. High temp low humidity means the plants transpire a lot more and take in a lot of water and nutrients from the roots causing toxicities and nutrient burn because they are taking in way more nutrients than they need or than they can use trying to stay hydrated.

A better option to increase humidity if you don’t have a humidifier is to use the wicking method.

Get an old towel wet and ring it out so it’s damp. Drape it over something to hang it and put the bottom of the towel in a bowl or bucket of water. Place a fan behind the wick. It will both cool your tent and increase humidity at very little cost.

3 Likes

Empress, less is more. The problem with inorganic is you have to constantly worry about fert burn and is your plant getting too much or not enough of this or that. You have to add product because your soil has no life. Find or make good old fashioned compost. You can augment the container with some super-duper soil if you want to. Low humidity is good. High temps and low humidity is less good. I live in a region where there is year around low humidity of 50%. I live at 5000 feet in central Mexico. I grow outside in the real sun. Growing outside in organic soil is the easiest in most ways. Agreed I can have pest problems like grasshoppers (I did) and I have to watch for mealy bugs all the time, but pest you can get rid of easily if you find them soon enough.

inorganic what? the soil is organic potting soil. or do you mean organic as in made it myself?

It was my understanding that potting soil will not nourish your plant for an entire growing season and you have to add fertilizers. Do you add ferts?

1 Like

yes i use fox farms. i just gave them their first feeding. i was waiting until they showed signs of flowering before i used food. because idk what is out of balance i made it light. meaning i used less than half the directed amount.

Hello again Empress. Just popped in to see your progress. You’re growing Autos & using FF nutes, correct? You did the right thing, waiting for a month or so , then using only 1/2 the recommended amount. Now that flowering has begun, you need to begin a regular schedule of feeding them fertilizer. Stick with 1/2 the recommended amount, and do not fertilize every time they need water. Fertilize every OTHER time, or even 1 out of 3.

I’ll bet the Runt you had problems with, turns out to be your biggest, baddest-assed plant lol. That happened to me on my last grow lol.

Your plants actually look very handsome. I’m going to leave you alone, and let this Happen. Keep us posted, with lotsa pics please…like once a week, If you run into any trouble, reach out & we’ll all chime in with (whatever) we know. From the pics I see so far, you’ve got this under control right now. Looks fine.

2 Likes

thank you :heart: i added a humidifier tonight juat not sure if its okay to leave it running 18 hours or should i just do it 8 hours a day. i definitely dont want to go from too dry to mold :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

There are a lot of solutions out there for humidity control. I use something like this that ties to my smart phone for easy control.
Just a suggestion.

2 Likes

i will definitely look into it. so far i have it tied to the same timer controlling the lights so it’s on 18 hours a day so far. it claims its self regulating. according to meter its keeping it between 39-41% humidity. google says 40-60% is optimum. its still better than the 23-26% i did have. ill be watching my babies closely to see how they respond. cant thank all of you enough for your input :heart:

1 Like

I had to buy both humidifier/dehumidifier w/controller AND use the phone app so I could have peace of mind lol.

1 Like

LOL yeah i swear ive been checking every hour on the hour :roll_eyes::flushed::unamused:

1 Like

2 Likes

you can see ive got three different sizes lol. the tiniest bedraggled one is the one that had trouble with her casing. then she seemed to recover but now this lol. the humidifier is working plant #2 has recovered nicely and bushed out. plant three is 30 in and looking beautiful

1 Like

@Empress they’re definitely a lot better. I’d suggest using a timer for your humidifier and fans if you can’t afford the controller and just run them together with your lights. Humidifier and fan going lights on. Nothing lights out. It should help quite a bit more.

Another thing that will help keep humidity in there is turning your exhaust fan down if you don’t have a controller yet. Having your exhaust fan running 24/7 definitely helps keep the heat down and increases airflow but it pulls all of the humidity out of the tent as well.

I know this is after harvesting and all but I assume you’re going on your next run. I’m very surprised you have low humidity problems. You must live in a very new modern house where it’s sealed uptight. I live just north of Seattle and I am constantly battling high humidity to prevent mold. It’s always high Humidity around here with the onshore coastal flow. It is always super high even when the sun is out. The morning dew alone (from the high humidity and cool nights) is enough to mess up most peoples girls. You should feel lucky to be blessed with a low humidity home here. You have a lot more strain options than me. Most every indica leaning strain I try here fails miserably from mold once the buds get dense.

I have only used a dehumidifier. Could not imagine needing a humidifier.

Looked it up. According to NOAA Seattle is the 7th most humid city in all America. Just ahead or behind Miami depending on the year.

The average annual relative humidity is 70% and average monthly relative humidity ranges from 60% in May to 81% in December.

2 Likes

yes thats why humidity was the furthest thing fron my mind this place stays wet. and yes the house is only two or three years old. and no not moved on yet they are not ready to harvest