Dehumidify tips and tricks

Has anyone used moisture absorption bags to help bring down rh

I’ve gone through 3 different dehumidifiers and none of which have been able to hold rh @ 55-57 …I figured I’d help the dehumidifier do it’s job with some moisture absorption bags. They haven’t arrived (till thursday)

1 Like

Partial exchange of the air is what I do, not enough to alter the temp, if you have a adjustable speed exhaust fan set it to barley run. This time of year most households are typically dryer due to winter.

5 Likes

I have used silica gel
https://secure.drierite.com/catalog3/page4a.cfm?activeMenu=0
It really depends on the size of the tent / environment and using enough product to make it work.
I have also tried Rock salt, rice bags…spreading the material out for more surface exposure. I placed trays of salt / rice, under my plant stands. Was messy…but worked. I also had an enormous grow area 2500 sq ft plus. The a/c, dehumidifier electric cost was too high and I got so tired of emptying the water buckets
Inside my 8x4 tent, the exhaust fan takes care of it all (soil grow, not hydro - in hydro, you can seal off the reservoir / buckets so the only the plants add moisture to the area, not the medium)
I get better results using my exhaust fans, like Rye says, and I am careful on my watering that I water different plants on different days so I reduce the respiration. I also watch temps…lower temps, lower Rh.

This is something I have an issue with also, I finally broke down n got a big azz dehumidifier, cost like 250 and it’s the same as running a window a/c unit as far as electricity goes, but it does the job, my rh on the top floor of my house is 30-40 constantly, its really more than I want to spend monthly and if I cld find a way that wasnt just a sheer pain in the azz to employ I certainly would, but in the long run I’m still coming out ahead as far as what I’m getting out vs what I’m putting in

3 Likes

those hanging moisture absoption bags work really well, they will fill up with water over time. Im just not sure as to how fast they work, as i use them in my rv during storage & they are always full of water when i open it in the spring. You can also try an open bag of plain kingsford charcoal in the tent if you have room, charcoal does absorb alot of moisture & some odor as well.

3 Likes

Mike…please, if you make a recommendation, point us to the product. It helps for those who do not have the knowledge yet. This is how we grow, add to our arsenal

1 Like

Hmmmm… cannabis charcoal

1 Like

I think the bags are made by’’ damp rid’’, they also sell it in small buckets as well, im not computer savvy enough to post any links. sorry…

1 Like

Got it, they are Calcium Chloride (rock salt / ice melt)
google “damp rid” and they come up
Amazon, sams club,etc
Thanks

3 Likes