Defoliate or not defoliate

This is my first grow with leds…Past grows with T5s…All indoor grows are autoflower…
First 2 are bubblegum and will harvest within 10 days…Back middle is OG kush…Back corners are Jack Herer…They are at 7 weeks…My question is should I start pulling many of the fan leaves and just leaving maybe a third of the leaves…
Also when the bubblegums leave the grow area, can I spread the branches for maximum light coverage…Or is it to late…
Oh ya,One more question…I have a Viparspectra2500 with dimmer switch…
There recommendations are 18" to 24" at a full 250W…To save electricity cost I have lowered the light to 12" above canopy at 185W…Same Lux reading as at 18" at 250W… Needin knowledge from the Maestros…THANKS

6 Likes

I’m no Maestro, just enjoying your plants, hope you don’t mind. :v:t2: :star_struck:

3 Likes

No not at all…I got some nice last summer outside grow also

Gelatos,GSC, Bud

7 Likes

Awake, north wind! Rise up, south wind! Blow on my garden and spread its fragrance all around. Come into your garden, my love; taste its finest fruits

4 Likes

One day, I will grow them with my Christmas trees of holidays past. When I lived in the UK, we’d get live trees and then plant them. Little tiny things. That was over twenty years ago now. I bet they are beautiful. :star_struck: :evergreen_tree:

1 Like

When I lived in Scarsdale NY, I used to buy Blue spruce live, every year for Christmas and plant them in the yard afterwards. I reached the point where I had property separation line of spruces

2 Likes

You are kidding, right? Blue Spruce was my Mother’s favorite. Hahahaha! Wuuuuuttt?? Freud. Karma. I should probably just stop while I’m ahead.

1 Like

Thanks for liking the grow pics. Still wondering if I should trim the fan leaves…Thinking of leaving 1/3 of fan leaves on plants…
Do you defoliate your plants ??
Outside grow is a whole lot of sun…Maybe pull a leaf or two, to expose bud sites…
T5 grows is keeping the light as close to the plants as possible…A pain in the ass, I always thought…
LED’s is the way to go…I freaking love it…
With knowledge from ya’ll, I hope to be able to grow some awesome ladies…
Defoliate or not Defoliate ???

1 Like

I’m not a Maestro, nor would I ever claim that because my Creator likes to throw curve balls when I claim arrogance. Ha! (Thanks for your patience!)

Saying that, you have been dwelling about defoliating for a few days now, the urge hasn’t left the building, so defoliate. Only you know your ladies like no other, you are the Creator. :v:t2: :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Yes defoliation of the bottom 1/2 or more is recommended. Go slow when removing, no more than 30%of the plant at 1 time. You may be able to spread the branches out, depending on how stiff they have gotten.

1 Like

Also turn your light back up, this late in flower they will eat it up, and you probably need some silica in your feed.

1 Like

I thought silica was refined sand…After checking on Amazon, I find that most of the products are NPK nutrients…many 0-50-30 as an example…
What products do you use for Silica ??

Bill…DE (diatomaceous earth) is a great source of silica. We use it often to combat gnats, and other insects in the soil. Any FOOD GRADE DE is a welcome addition to the environment.

2 Likes

Thankyou one and all…

2 Likes

My apologies for sounding strange at times. It tends to occur when I’m overtired/overstimulated. You know how a kid feels before school starts after having free time all summer? That’s me.

PS: I also have a tendency to overexplain. :v:t2: :grin:

2 Likes

Hey, no apologies needed…
Been there and done that…

1 Like

When you say you went from t5s to led are you talking about 4ft tube led’s

I ask because the one photo shows tubes

Yes, Actually I had been using 2-4’ - 4 bulb t5s HO w/ red and white colored bulbs…I would have to SCROG to get an even canopy, since the lights had to be so close to plants…I thought it was a real pain…
I love the growing freedom of LEDs