Dangers of PGR’s

I don’t know if this is a commonly talked about topic or if it’s widely known topic as I am new to almost all things cannabis related. Recently I read on PGR’s or plant growth regulators or retarders. MAN that is some scary stuff. I do know there is some natural pgr’s but I am unsure of how safe they actually are. In recent days I have asked a few people who I would consider very knowledgeable in the end product of weed and one that actually grows and they didn’t know what they were. More specifically Paclobutrazol, Daminozide (Alar), and Chlormequat Chloride.

I know there is others and many of different pesticides that roughly fall into the category. I was curious if someone can give me some insight on what to look out for. I plan on growing organic then working my way to a hydro setup. Just kinda curious how much knowledge is out there on this topic and how many peeps are aware of it.

Thanks in advance maybe @kronic could hit a potcast on the down and dirty stuff we need to look out for in our weed and nutes!!

I’ve not heard of kumquat chloride. I’m small time, just growing for my mom, so pesticides are something I wouldn’t touch with 1000ft pole. I’d suggest working with nature and trying some companion plantings out instead.

One more reason to grow your own!

4 Likes

Right that’s what I’m planning on doing. I’m steering clear from anything that isn’t natural just the way the fam and I are. Im not putting poison in my body or my friends bodies. Just kinda curious how many people are aware that it’s possible that this crap is in there weed. Or even in supplements that people might recommend to someone. In my case this is how I found out. Luckily for me, I’m super investigative and want to know the facts and I looked up the products. Some people will just go off a persons recommendations and not make an educated decision on what they are doing. I believe in awareness. And I here a lot of what you should use but not a lot of what you should not use.

1 Like

@Grojoegro no synthetic pgrs should ever be used. I mean ever. Aside from sacrificing quality for yield, they have been found to cause hepatotoxicity, nephrotoxicity, genotoxicity, neurotoxicity, even carcinogenicity and teratogenicity. In short and in lamen’s terms are carcinogenic and are known to cause cancers and hormone issues, specifically in men causing infertility, but they can also cause infertility in women. They are even classified as dangerous environmental pollutants by the FDA.

Naturally occurring pgrs in plants are not dangerous though. Only synthetic ones are.

2 Likes

@MDBuds thanks for that info I did know they are a carcinogen. However, I did not know that they could potentially cause infertility but that makes sense. Seeing as to how pesticides and herbicides cause hormonal issues, cancers, and numerous amounts of other issues that the FDA ignores. That is a whole other topic I can talk for hours on and will start another topic in safe ways to rid of bugs.

If you don’t mind What are safe natural occurring PGR’s and how would one use them in a grow cycle? What would the benefit be? Are they essential? I’ve done some research and haven’t found too much information on it. Maybe I haven’t looked in the right places. Or maybe I need to look more into the scientific make-up of a plant. Correct me if I’m wrong but gibberellins are responsible for stem length, so like a pgr would stop the production of gibberellins and make the plant stop growing vertically. This would cause the plant to get fatter more bushy and focus on bud growth.

It just blows my mind that people intentionally use synthetic make ups that are for ornamental plants in their weed.

1 Like

@Grojoegro I think you’re thinking too far along the path of “how can I use chemical additives to accomplish my goals for this plant?”

I like to simplify things as much as I can. PGRs don’t rain down from the sky, so I don’t need them in my grow. My job, is to try to as accurately as I can, to re-create the perfect system that Mother Nature has already designed.

There are natural ways to regulate your plant growth in this manner. First of all, light spectrum. More blue gives you a short internodal spacing, while red elongates. You can manage the stretch through training techniques. If you’ve got a variety known for a lot of stretch, train it to have more tops.

1 Like

@CurrDogg420 I am absolutely not going down the path of what chemicals can I add as I have zero desire to put chemicals in my meds. Also, I have stated many times i don’t agree with chemicals. My main focus of this thread was hopes people would see it and do research on how bad the chemicals known as pgr’s are and because some people that are new to growing are likely to take advice of people who might not have best interest in mind.

I am aware, although not fully practiced in training techniques which is the way I will go. For me, I love knowledge. Just because I am curious of other ways to do something doesn’t mean I’m going to use it. In this case natural occurring pgr’s and how they work fascinates me. Am I going to use them? No! I am hands on and want to work my plants with different types of training, healthy nutrients, and 100% safe practices. Do I want the knowledge so I can teach, help, and make more people knowledgeable in all aspects of growing absolutely!! I don’t want to just simply grow my medicine I want to know everything about it, everything involved in it, other ways of managing plants so if someone brings a question to me I can answer it.

Knowledge is key and just because someone is curious doesn’t mean someone will practice it. By the way thanks for the response I understand where you are coming from and I am on page with you. Please don’t mistake my curiosities and willingness to talk about negative subjects for a good knowledge base as negligence or looking for short cuts. My family and I live organic lifestyles we eat and drink clean no corn syrup, no gmo, no sodas, almost no processed foods.

1 Like

@Grojoegro, I didn’t mean to offend, sometimes in my writing style I like to add a bit of snappy humor.

I totally agree with you on learning as much as you can. There’s a lot of people who make a lot of money from hobbyist like us basically selling you knowledge in a bottle.

Another subject that I’m fascinated by is soil science. Mother Nature has provided an entire ecosystem to care for your plant (that’s how she rolls). It’s alive with entire food chains and it’s thought that the plant can actually direct it to some extent through the sugars it’s producing during photosynthesis. It’s all a process better known as “the carbon cycle.”

1 Like

All good man just didn’t want anyone thinking I’m trying to promote bad habits. I’m promoting knowledge. Soil science is crazy the whole growing process fascinates me. I’m going to start looking more into living soils, composting, teas, etc. I just have a hella hard time hearing about something and not indulging in it to figure out the goods, bads, possibles, and not possibles.

@Grojoegro safe and naturally occurring pgrs are found in organic fertilizers made using plants. Things like liquid kelp for instance. They have naturally occurring pgrs and cytokinins that promote root growth and expansion, cell division, increased respiratory efficiency and photosynthesis efficiency, increased flavenoid and terpene profiles due to increased resin production from increased respiratory and photosynthesis efficiency, increased resistance to diseases also due to increased resin production, and increased biomass due to increased root structure and photosynthesis efficiency.

There are other organic fertilizers that have natural hormones and pgrs but I don’t recall what they are off the top of my head as I really only use the liquid kelp.

3 Likes

@MDBuds thanks again for the info sounds great! I think I know where I’ll turn my research. I appreciate your willingness to give out some info.

1 Like