Cloning, is it taking?

How do you know if a clone has taken?

ive taken some suckers from the Tanzanian Kush side of my grow. I need them to take because idk if they are boys or girls.

4 Likes

@metaridley in soil you will know when they start to fade and yellow a little but then come back with some new growth.

It’s easier in rockwool, peat pods, or coco discs though because you just wait until you see roots then transplant into a container.

3 Likes

Awesome thanks for the info. Ive got 4 than turned yellow then back to green. YES!!:smile:

3 Likes

@metaridley glad some were successful. Just remember not to trim them up yet until they are in their final containers and well rooted and adjusted. Shock from pruning can kill them especially before and after transplants. So let the little yellow leaves stay until you have at least a few good hardy green nodes after transplant.

3 Likes

Will do😄 thanks a million

2 Likes

In plastic pots you will still see roots out the bottom holes it just takes a few days longer but I dont transplant until I see the roots anyway. Sometimes I use 3.5 in plastic pots sometimes 16 oz cups like you get at McDonalds with holes punched in the bottom. Same thing with both though wait until you see roots in bottom holes and you will have a good enough root system to transplant with minimum stress if you get your moisture correct. Dry but not super dry. This last time I used jiffy peat pots they come in packages of three 8 packs for a couple dollers. I love these when roots grow out the side transplant pot and all. These work great if you are using a dome.

2 Likes

I usually feel if they haven’t fallen over in a week you’re golden. They rarely die after that. Often they’ll look limp, but not falling over in the first 24 hours. It’s a big newb mistake to mess with them at that point. Leaving them alone is key (my experience) and usually the second day they perk back up any droopy leaves.

Also if the moms have been flowering for more than say a week, it can add a whole week more to the rooting. Sometimes they’re a lot slower if they’ve been in flower. And if the tops are really growing buds a lot of times those can fail. Take extras if you are trying to preserve something past flowering. I like to clone things early and dump them as needed. Compost

3 Likes

And label clones so you aren’t scratching your head later like Homer Simpson. I use blue painters tape w sharpie now. The crows always steal my wood and plastic tags.

3 Likes

Sorry last ramble on I promise.
I always take two clones of anything. Even before I know keeper or not. In case one dies. This winter I had a bad fungus gnats infestation. It happens to the best of us. I dried things out and resolved the problem. And Wala then I have some spider mites. They love it when it dries out and you have stressed plants. Especially clones. So then I take care of that problem. But I did lose some clones of my keepers. Fortunately just one of the twins. Point is I’m glad I take two. Or else I would have lost some genetics this year.

3 Likes

Great advice mate​:+1:ive heard of doing it during flowering but im such a newb i wouldnt try that till im at least 80% successfull. :smile:Im at 50% now where ive done it twice and i had full success the first time but not the second time.

2 Likes

I took 3 from each. :grinning:

2 Likes

Worst case if you have an extra keeper is pass it on. Good karma. Hopefully w out the fungus mats or spider mites.

3 Likes

Man im sorry. I had fungus gnats once and i had to dry the soil out and then add peroxide water(suggested by my brother) 1tbsp to 1gal. And then put stick tape everywhere to catch the ones flying. Then laid straw over the top after it had fully dried from the treatment, this was my idea to keep the bugars from laying their eggs in the soil. It was a pain but it worked. Spider mites seem like an evil creation. I havent had them yet.

2 Likes

One thing I have found that really helps my clone success rate is turn the lights up a little. Everything I had read on cloning said use T5s but I was not having good success rates. I gave up on Fluorescents and put clones under a mars hydro 2000 at 25% and within days had roots.

3 Likes

I have had surprisingly good luck outside in the summer full sun. I just tuck them north side shade from the actual mothers I just took the clone from. It’s pretty bright on them even thru the cannabis plant shade diffused light. I set the clones in 3” pots in rich soil from my raised bed nestled down in a 10gal fish tank. I have Used 55 gallon fish tanks too for this. (This works well on actual blueberry plant clones too by the way.)
Level it with shims or sticks and put 1” water in the bottom. Have a glass top with a 2-3 gap all the way across the long side. I would not recommend this to anyone depending on a clone. But it is fun to experiment and I have been surprised how well this works. Tried it for shits and giggles with the piles of trim from topping 6ft outdoor ladies when they overgrow the extra tall tomatoe cages in July. I usually just give em away. And they are on your areas outdoor light cycle and make excellent late summer solstice gifts.

The main reason I mentioned this is it’s a great way if you need to take a lot of clones for a big space or outdoor acreage. And u can use the sun and no lights. It really works. They go limp the first day and stand right back up all ripped and perky from the bright sun. I personally would not believe this if I did not try it myself.

3 Likes

I had good luck making a cloner out of a fish tank worked real good when combined with air stones and a pump. But then the system got dirty after about 30 days and my success rate fell off real bad. I was never able to get it clean enough toto work good again.

2 Likes

IDKW but they never take in rock wool or clone plugs outside like this. < 3%. I use both rock wool and clone plugs inside no problem. With air stones like Jarod did.

I just use dirty unsterile fish tanks for this off cuff outside method. I breed tropical fish and install custom Aquariums so I always have extras tanks kicking around. And nice soil from the raised bed. I have even experimented with compacted native heavy light brown shitty yard dirt. Just to try. It worked. No air stone. Stagnant scummy water. Do not add more than an inch float in the bottom of the fish tank. Do not add more water until the standing water evaporates. In the summer that’s like every other day. Lots of evap. Usually by 10-14 days they shoot up like crazy. Replant them that year if you take em before the solstice. No clonex, honey, no dip and grow. Just bare back stems. If you use a 55 gallon tank you can pack in so many it’s silly. I have had 100% batches take before but my average is about 75% success. I have also had all die so
DO NOT depend on this to preserve something important. Remember I do it with summer Tops from outdoor beasts. That is like 2 city yard waste bins of plant hacks or more. Seems like a waste to not try and do something with it. Like experiments💡

4 Likes